Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
Inactive Account

What's wrong with my settings ?

Hi !

At the end of this afternoon, I took the opportunity to go to Fort Langley to take some pictures. I set my DSLR in manual mode and I got these poor results !
My question is : what shall I do to avoid these defaults, particularly on the left and on the right of the pics (when you look at the branchs and at the snow) It doesn't look sharp at all.
Picasa Web Albums - Furansu - Fort Langley

Thank you in advance for your help and your advises.

Furansu

12-27-2008, 12:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Must be something wrong with me....I think they look fine.
12-27-2008, 12:43 AM   #3
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Must be something wrong with me....I think they look fine.
I'm glad you say that Mike because I had a look and they seemed fine to me as well. I didn't comment because I didn't want to look stupid by missing something obvious. You're a braver man than I.
12-27-2008, 01:13 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well, did you click on zoom for each pictures ?
At the limit of the snow and the dark colour of the branch, it makes like a greenish colour transition. You can see it on the tomb on the left on the first picture too.
Don't tell me I have problems with my eyes !

12-27-2008, 01:16 AM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Furansu Quote
Well, did you click on zoom for each pictures ?
At the limit of the snow and the dark colour of the branch, it makes like a greenish colour transition. You can see it on the tomb on the left on the first picture too.
Don't tell me I have problems with my eyes !
You have problems with your eyes. I have looked closely and I still can't see anything wrong.
12-27-2008, 01:21 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok, I give up, I go to bed, with the little hope somebody will see it when I will wake up tomorrow. If really it disturbs me tonight, I will awake my wife to ask her opinion. I am sure she will appreciate !
Anyway, thank you for your contribution.
12-27-2008, 01:31 AM   #7
Forum Member

Weird, I think the green tinting is pretty obvious. I can only guess that the lens does that on the edges, some kind of aberration. Not sure how to fix it, my PP program just has Blue and Red C/A correction, maybe this is the blue one... but it doesn't quite look like that.

12-27-2008, 01:41 AM   #8
clm

Gary and Mike: you have to click on "download image" to see what Furansu means.

You should add 1-2 stops of exposure for snowy scenes. CA and PF may improve with correct exposure, but aren't a big problem at normal viewing size.
12-27-2008, 01:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

After downloading it I finally saw what he's talking about. He asked about sharpness, so that's what I was looking at the first time around.
12-27-2008, 01:58 AM   #10
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by clm Quote
Gary and Mike: you have to click on "download image" to see what Furansu means.

You should add 1-2 stops of exposure for snowy scenes. CA and PF may improve with correct exposure, but aren't a big problem at normal viewing size.

OK, I see it now. I wonder if this has anything to do with WB.

Of course there's also the possibility that Samsung wanted their own unique fringing.
12-27-2008, 02:58 AM   #11
Damn Brit

I've just read a review of the Lumix G1 and the 14-45mm kit lens that comes with it seems prone to green fringing.
It's possible that it is your 18-55mm lens that is causing the issue and not your camera at all.
12-27-2008, 04:10 AM   #12

At 1:1 and above you can see both green and red/purple fringing which is not that uncommon with kit lenses, especially given the contrast between the dark stone/branches and the light snow.

If it bothers you, Lightroom or PS will remove, or at least reduce, the fringing.
12-27-2008, 06:45 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's exactly it IMO. Many lenses including the kit lens will have some issues with colour fringing (and this happens with all brands) when the scene has harsh transitions from bright white to black and dark colours. Better exposure can help as this shot is underexposed.

As Chrisman says Lightroom can help correct this So can the provided software (SilkyPix)
12-27-2008, 08:32 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had some green fringing with the kit lens. A few of my pictures I took after the big ice storm a couple of weeks ago had some green fringe and green flare also. I'm on the wrong computer right now so I can't post it. It was bright and sunny and the light was reflecting off everything as it was caked in ice. A beautiful sight to take in but difficult to shoot. I noticed the sun through the trees on the lower right of the first shot so you were shooting almost into it and that is same angle I got the green on my shots. Your shots look very good. I didn't notice the green until you mentioned where to look.
12-27-2008, 09:41 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Furansu Quote
Hi !

At the end of this afternoon, I took the opportunity to go to Fort Langley to take some pictures. I set my DSLR in manual mode and I got these poor results !
My question is : what shall I do to avoid these defaults, particularly on the left and on the right of the pics (when you look at the branchs and at the snow) It doesn't look sharp at all.
Picasa Web Albums - Furansu - Fort Langley

Thank you in advance for your help and your advises.

Furansu
The images are underexposed, and you have some CA and sharpness loss going on at the edges. You can fix the underexposure problem by learning how to make proper exposures, the second is more difficult. The CA can probably be fixed in camera raw (photoshop), the sharpness by stopping down a bit more, or by getting a better lens.

Here, I fixed what I could for you:
http://users.accesscomm.ca/wrobb/temp/SG103822-1.jpg