Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2008, 09:47 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Dust Removal procedure question.

So, I have a question.

I have a K200D and was wondering, once you scan and see that there is dust on the sensor, is it safe to initiate the dust removal procedure more than once continuously?

Cheers!

12-28-2008, 01:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
So, I have a question.

I have a K200D and was wondering, once you scan and see that there is dust on the sensor, is it safe to initiate the dust removal procedure more than once continuously?

Cheers!
By "procedure," do you mean raising the mirror, removing the lens, and blowing into the chamber with a Giotto blower? If so, then yes, you do this and then check if the dust is gone. If not, try it again. The blower method does not always work--if it does not, you will have to step up to a more serious method of sensor cleaning. Best of luck and be sure not to touch the inside of the chamber with the blower.

Or perhaps you are referring to the shaking of the sensor which can be performed within the camera's software? If so, you can try this more than once, but check to see if it works with another scan. If this fails, step up to the method mentioned above.
12-28-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I run the sensor-shake dust removal thing several times in a row any time I run it at all. I haven't noticed any problems with this. I found through experience that running it once only rarely accomplished anything, but running it, say, five times in a row - with camera pointed down, and giving it a couple seconds between runs - actually does work as often as not. If it doesn't, I'll try another run of vie or so. If that doesn't work, I get out the blower.
12-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have the K100D Super and find, much like Marc, that in order for in-camera dust removal to do much of anything at all I have to run it five to ten times in a row. There should not be a problem with doing this.

12-28-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

You should be fine to run a few times in a row without problem, it's designed to shake off the dust not wreck your camera.
12-28-2008, 10:38 PM   #6

Original Poster
My question was indeed regarding the 'Shake' process.

Thank you all for the help, much appreciated!
01-08-2009, 12:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I run the sensor-shake dust removal thing ... - with camera pointed down
I see the logic in that but many cameras have a dust collection chamber below the sensor. In order for this to be effective, i.e., catch the dust in the chamber, I believe the camera should be kept in a normal horizontal orientation.

I guess the manual would say something about this. My K100D doesn't have a dust removal function so I cannot comment.
01-08-2009, 12:33 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I see the logic in that but many cameras have a dust collection chamber below the sensor. In order for this to be effective, i.e., catch the dust in the chamber, I believe the camera should be kept in a normal horizontal orientation.
Good point, and that's occurred to me before. When I remember this, what I do is run it with the camera pointed down a couple of times, then wait a few seconds, and hold the camera normally for a few seconds and maybe run it a couple more times.