Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The British Journal of Photography has great features for those who are into art photography. Focus is on professionals. Sometimes they do reviews that are relevant -- liked the K20D, for example. Small and weekly.

12-30-2008, 04:53 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hate magazines that tell me how I can "quickly and easily..." in Photoshop. Apart from the fact that I don't have Photoshop, I've yet to find any technique that doesn't take time, care, dedication, discipline, and good old perspiration. I'm with Kerrowdown - check out your local library, not only for mags but books as well. Librarians are unfailingly helpful and knowledgeable. Don't forget the Internet, of course.
My personal choice in periodicals is the English magazine Black and White Photography. It has a nice mixture of interviews with famous photographers, excercises, competitions, how-to articles (not necessarily quickly or easily), gear reviews and a lot else. Of course, only of interest to you if you like the b&w genre.
12-30-2008, 10:22 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Many will disagree on my action but I just subscribed to Pop Photo. I know pop photo is not really Pentax friendly but sometimes they do have some nice article on there. I read the mag for what it is, entertainment. It is not a bible, I don't have to follow or believe everything it says.

Also I got a 3 year subscription for only $14. Not a bad price if you ask me.
12-30-2008, 11:07 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Unfortunately, you already looked at one of the mags that's considered "how-to". Shutterbug tends to have a theme for each issue and perhaps the theme of the issue you saw just didn't offer enough how-to that fits your style?
I find that even though they have a theme that might interest me, and the articles appear from the titles to be interesting, they seldom go into enough depth to be useful. Occasionally a promising-looking article turns out to be just a thinly-disguised ad for the author's book on the subject, which is quite annoying, but mostly it's just a matter of trying to be too general when dealing with are often complex topics. You *can't* explain color management in a six-page magazine article.

I think there is an issue in general with the idea of a "how-to" magazine. By definition, these magazines tend to cater to relative beginners, since they are the ones most likely to be looking for how-to info. But beginners don't stay beginners forever, and soon they outgrow the magazine. So including a lot of beginner-oriented content is not conducive to keeping subscribers long term.

A magazine like Shutterbug is *trying* to appeal to professionals, and while pros certainly can benefit from certain types of how-to articles, they aren't going to be on "beginner" topics like "what settings should I use to shoot such-and-such a subject". The topics that interest pros will be more complex, and thus harder to cover in a short magazine article.

So Shutterbug tries to cover topics of interest to pros, but really cannot do most of the technical subjects justice. Especially embarassing, I think, are there reivews, which usually come in long after dpreview and all the other web sites have already posted *much* more in-depth articles.

But I don't think it fair to say Shutterbug is particularly guilty of being in bed with any particular manufacturer. In fact, I'd say they are remarkable in how *not* dominated they are by Nikon or Canon. Leica, maybe. There is definitely a bit of a film bias - and rangefinder or medium format in particular - to the content. Not in the sense that it *dominates* the coverage, but it's probably way out of proportion to the market in general, if not *their* intended audience.

I subscribed a couple of years ago laregly on the strength of Monte Zucker's column, which usually deal with portraits and travel. These are topics I wouldn't have placed high on my list of things to want to read about, but he had a way of writing about these topics that could get me excited to try the things he talked about. Since his passing last year, I find there is less to get excited about in Shutterbug.

12-30-2008, 12:01 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
As someone else suggested, take a look at Lenswork. It is no longer available on the newsstands; they do both a print and an "extended" digital version. Very well done, no advertising. Take a look at their web site.
Excellent. It's nice to see that they are still doing a real magazine. Their printing is exquisite.
12-31-2008, 07:51 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Petersens Photo Graphic seems to keep the ads to a minimum and have a lot of technique oriented articles. They have a decent web site as well. Photographic Magazine
12-31-2008, 08:01 PM   #22

PhotographyBB Online Magazine

This web site came out with a web based magazine. Looks pretty interesting and its free to download and print if you like.

PhotographyBB.com

12-31-2008, 09:09 PM   #23
graphicgr8s

When I got my K10D they gave me a "free" subscription to PC Photo. I almost kept it going but I just have way too many subscriptions now to woodworking, model trains and tropical fish my other half would kill me since I tend to save them. (I have Freshwater and Marine back till 1983) I just love going back and using some of the old techniques. Too bad they don't have the good ones like Modern and Pop Photo and Camera 35 anymore
12-31-2008, 10:51 PM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote
Many will disagree on my action but I just subscribed to Pop Photo. I know pop photo is not really Pentax friendly but sometimes they do have some nice article on there. I read the mag for what it is, entertainment. It is not a bible, I don't have to follow or believe everything it says.

Also I got a 3 year subscription for only $14. Not a bad price if you ask me.
I'll second Pop Photo since they speak more in layman's terms that are easy to understand.camera controls and their affect on exposure They also review more cameras that aren't DSLRs. I haven't seen any signs of them being not being kind to Pentax but I just started reading them again after 35 years when they convinced me to buy my first Spotmatic I wonder if they liked the k200d? I got 2 years for $23.00 which was a hell of a deal compared to the newstand price.

Barry
01-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #25
Forum Member

I'm a bit biased (seeing as I'm from the UK and an avid reader), but the British magazine "DSLR User" has a very high reader content rather than ads. It's surprisingly balanced with a lot of contributions from photographers with Pentax and Samsung gear as well as the usual 2 (but Pentax/Samsung do advertise quite heavily in the Mag and on their web site). For a reduced fee international subscribers can also buy the online only version if they want (and print the bits they want from online if they so desire)

There is a thriving community from the mag who meet up for photo shoots. I guess this may be a bit of a challenge for some to join us from outside the UK but it has happened!

Web Site is here:

www.dslruser.co.uk

(and I guess the fact that I won a Sigma 105mm ExDG Macro lens in one of their comps makes me ever so slightly more biased!)

Neil
01-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #26
Veteran Member

For anyone interested in checking out Lenswork, which has a pretty good reputation and is photo- rather than equipment-oriented, they are currently offering a sample offer of one print and one disc (Lenswork extended) copy for just $5 shipped.

Here's the link.