Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2023, 01:16 PM   #1

Astrophotography with a KP

Just got my O-GPS2 - woohoo!

Learned how to spell Astrophotography - woohoo!

Question on lens recommendation:

Can’t see where my 300 zoom is going to do much good here <insert smiley face>. Go for the fixed lens for hopefully better optics?

Any suggestions on exposure times?

Aperture?

I’m on southern Vancouver Island and can get into some pretty dark places.

Happy happy joy joy. This is one of the main reasons I got the KP - plus great lenses with all the weather resistant stuff.

Last edited by drgnslyr; 03-08-2023 at 06:03 PM.
02-22-2023, 06:00 PM   #2

Location: Rainforest of Canada Vancouver Island and the sagebrush of southern Okanagan, BC
Astral Photography

Hello Fellow Pentaxian!
Where on Vancouver Island are you located? I used to live in Victoria but now hang my hat in Campbell River. I have seen some night shots taken around the mouth of Jordan River (little to nil light pollution)if you live in the Capital area. I prefer the night skies of the Osoyoos area and journey there 3-4 times a year. For some inspiration I suggest you look up Greg Reeley Photography in Osoyoos and perhaps get some tips from him.

Cheers!
02-22-2023, 09:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What type of "astral" photography do you want to do? There's whole sky astrophotography which generally calls for a wide angle lens (roughly 8mm to 50mm), deep sky astrophotography (like the Orion nebula) which calls for a longer (200-400mm) lenses, and planetary photography which requires really long lenses (1000mm+). If you're using the Astrotracer feature, you most likely will be doing one of the first two. Best to have a lens in the neighborhood of f2 or so, so you can close it down a bit to gain sharpness, but you can even work at f4 with success. All shots will be at infinity focus (and you need to focus on something bright and far away to get that set), and the exposure varied using shutter speed. Your focal length will limit how long Astrotracer can operate, longer lenses leading to shorter exposures. With really wide angle lenses, you might be able to do without the Astrotracer if the exposure is short enough.

Love the country up your way - have been there several times and always want to go back. Made it to the north tip of the island one time - beautiful country but the bears become more common up there so not sure if I'd want to be out at night that much.
02-23-2023, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lots of reading, discussion and advice in the astrophotography group if you head over there. Sign up!

02-23-2023, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Grimmus Quote
Lots of reading, discussion and advice in the astrophotography group if you head over there. Sign up!
Astrophotography - PentaxForums.com
02-28-2023, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use a Kirlian filter for astral photography, it makes the rays emanating from the golden chord stand out a lot more.
03-08-2023, 09:37 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Isn't astral photography what some of those paranormal "science" reality shows engage in?!

03-08-2023, 05:24 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Isn't astral photography what some of those paranormal "science" reality shows engage in?!
Oops… typo. Fixed - thanks.

---------- Post added 03-08-23 at 05:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
What type of "astral" photography do you want to do? There's whole sky astrophotography which generally calls for a wide angle lens (roughly 8mm to 50mm), deep sky astrophotography (like the Orion nebula) which calls for a longer (200-400mm) lenses, and planetary photography which requires really long lenses (1000mm+). If you're using the Astrotracer feature, you most likely will be doing one of the first two. Best to have a lens in the neighborhood of f2 or so, so you can close it down a bit to gain sharpness, but you can even work at f4 with success. All shots will be at infinity focus (and you need to focus on something bright and far away to get that set), and the exposure varied using shutter speed. Your focal length will limit how long Astrotracer can operate, longer lenses leading to shorter exposures. With really wide angle lenses, you might be able to do without the Astrotracer if the exposure is short enough.

Love the country up your way - have been there several times and always want to go back. Made it to the north tip of the island one time - beautiful country but the bears become more common up there so not sure if I'd want to be out at night that much.
First - spelling - got that one down.

Second - great input / thank you. I wasn’t thinking right about narrow/wide angle as framing and your input makes sense - same concept, just a larger field.

I wish to go deep, hunting for nebula, with Mount Tolmie’s backside a quick option, Mount Douglas as a darker option (they have an observatory up there) and up-island (west side) once I get my bearings.

My 55-300 PLM was going to be my lens of choice but I just noticed a 4.5 bottom end. I also have the DA 18-55 WR with 3.5 and my stock DA 55 fixed at 1.4 - perhaps a better choice.

Third - bears - wow, hadn’t thought of that.

Hey, I just remembered - my old MX gear - everything from fisheye to 300 fixed. I’ll need to check my F-stops but there could be some fun stuff in there too.

I noticed in the Astrophotog group there are people talking M42.

Thanks again for a great starting point.
Brett

---------- Post added 03-08-23 at 05:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I use a Kirlian filter for astral photography, it makes the rays emanating from the golden chord stand out a lot more.
Thank you.

---------- Post added 03-08-23 at 05:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Grimmus Quote
Thanks for the direction.

---------- Post added 03-08-23 at 05:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Thanks for the link.

---------- Post added 03-08-23 at 06:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi67 Quote
Hello Fellow Pentaxian!
Where on Vancouver Island are you located? I used to live in Victoria but now hang my hat in Campbell River. I have seen some night shots taken around the mouth of Jordan River (little to nil light pollution)if you live in the Capital area. I prefer the night skies of the Osoyoos area and journey there 3-4 times a year. For some inspiration I suggest you look up Greg Reeley Photography in Osoyoos and perhaps get some tips from him.

Cheers!
Victoria center with frequent trips up as far as CR, and the Comox/Courtney area.

Osoyoos - was drawn there when I was younger and can easily foresee another walkabout. Loved Phoenix and most of AZ so Sonoran desert works just fine for me - the little bit we have.

Thanks for Jordan River tip. That’s darn close to Lands End so now I’m wondering about fading the exposed night sky into ocean seascapes.

That’s the nice thing about DSLR - no film or developing costs, so fire at will.

Yup - I’m that old…

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 03-11-2023 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Coarseness
03-10-2023, 02:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How do you join the Astrophotography group? I tried posting a question and it said "you have to be a member of this group to post".

I'm new to astrophotography and I'd like some help
03-11-2023, 06:39 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go to the Astrophotography group. There is a link to all of the groups at the top of the PF homepage. Page down to the Astrophotography group, click on the icon. When you are on their page you will see a Join Group button near the top of the screen on the right. It is faint but if you click it you will be allowed to join the group, Have Fun!
03-11-2023, 06:48 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Go to the Astrophotography group. There is a link to all of the groups at the top of the PF homepage. Page down to the Astrophotography group, click on the icon. When you are on their page you will see a Join Group button near the top of the screen on the right. It is faint but if you click it you will be allowed to join the group, Have Fun!
Thank you!!!!!