Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2023, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Preferred modes and when / why?

Hi all! (I searched for a mega thread on this topic but couldn't find it..! So please just link if I missed it).

So beginner here, and with a new (used) KP on the way I'm reading the Bourque eBook, and I started thinking. What am I missing re: the modes of my camera?

Me: I enjoy tinkering. I like to shoot manual when I can, with an external flash for mainly portraits, but I use TAv when lighting is unpredictable. I've never used the program or auto modes, and really struggle to see what I gain from them over TAv. For me, letting the camera choose the aperture seems like asking for a surprise. And I know what I'm shooting (sports, landscape, etc.) so why would I let the camera choose shutter speed? Letting the camera meter and set ISO seems perfect for me.

In the eBook I'm reading the author talks about preferences for the various P modes. I understand what they are. I understand about different priorities... but I'm really struggling to consider when I'd use them.

I'm not asking for people to argue for their preferred methods, but simply, if you could share the what/why/when, perhaps I (and others?) could learn new ways to think about using my camera and the many modes offered.

So - who wants to share their favorite modes and the associated benefits / tradeoffs? Thanks!

03-07-2023, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I almost exclusively use Av.

Most of the time when I walk into a shooting scenario I'll first consider what ISO warrants the lighting situation and dial that in... on very rare occasions I'll use auto iso..
Next I select the aperture I need to acquire the required depth of field of my subject.
I let the camera dump the rest into shutter speed.
03-07-2023, 05:43 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Another TAv (for preference) user here … especially on the more recent bodies where the high ISO capabilities are so very good
The only time I'll select P is if I'm in a hurry to get a flash exposure with the on-camera flash … it just seems to work better.
For me, Av and Tv are (mostly) covered by TAv, but I do have occasion to use Tv with auto-ISO set … to make sure I get the best possible exposure in potentially low light whilst maintaining a specific shutter speed to freeze the subject.
The modern Pentax DSLRs are wondrously complex devices that do try to provide virtually every combination of features to cover most scenarios … and allow you to save that configuration in a User Mode, for next time
It'll be a very wide-ranging photographer that regularly uses more than 50% of the modern camera's capabilities, but that combination may well be almost unique to him
Just occasionally I find it both refreshing and relaxing to step back from all the latest wizardry, fit a manual lens to my *istDS and "get back to basics" for a few hours
03-07-2023, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
It'll be a very wide-ranging photographer that regularly uses more than 50% of the modern camera's capabilities, but that combination may well be almost unique to him
I'm going to get the specifics wrong, but I once read a report on Autodesk (or perhaps it was photoshop) talking about feature creep, and how most users only use a small slice like, 10% or so, of the features. The problem is, they're a different slice, and in aggregate, all features are used by a lot of people. It was relating to research about auto-customizing interfaces to match use cases while still supporting exploration and serendipitous learning.

03-07-2023, 05:58 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
always manual because I like freedom and to experiment
03-07-2023, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TAv for me for the same reasons you mentioned. Occasionally I might use manual, but more likely I'll use exposure compensation in TAv mode. I constantly watch my ISO so I'm always aware of where it is. Very easy to control aperture, shutter and ISO this way. Guess I mostly prioritize shutter and aperture over ISO because today's cameras do so well at higher and higher ISO.

Last edited by PKMike; 03-07-2023 at 11:18 PM.
03-07-2023, 06:08 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

I should also add that I use the heck outta exposure compensation and chimp my histogram to ETTR.

03-07-2023, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Av is my main mode. I started with an aperture preferred camera and I shoot mostly landscapes or limited motion subjects. The factor that plays most into my shots is aperture. I pay attention to shutter speed but it is mostly a gating thing - is it high enough - great take a shot. If it's too low can I use a tripod or brace in such a way to get the shot - if so take the shot. Do I have room to raise ISO a bit or underexpose and bring up the shadows? If so do so - switching to manual if needed or using exposure compensation.

Tav has never been easy to use for me for some reason. I probably would like it if I spent time with it. I loved the HyperP mode on my PZ-1. But I also use a lot of different cameras and Av is pretty universal in how it works and Exposure Compensation is also. Using these two tools along with auto-iso (changing the range as needed) I can grab shots quickly with pretty good control.
03-07-2023, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I really only use TAv if I'm shooting video (rare occasions but I'm doing it a bit more recently). I use Av mostly if I'm using a flash. I mainly use what Pentax used to call Hyper Program or Hyper Manual. I rarely use Auto ISO. Also, like FozzFoster, I use exposure compensation a lot.
03-07-2023, 06:44 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I should explain further. I started with a camera with no metering and only three exposure settings - well... 6 if you count BULB as a shutter speed. It had Cloudy, Partly Cloudy, and Sunny and one shutter speed other than bulb. Then I moved to a Yashica that offered aperture priority only (Electro 35 CC) and then I moved to an all manual Nikon (Nikkormat FT3 and later an F2a). But even using manual I would typically set my aperture first and then dial in shutter speed to get my exposure where I wanted it.
03-07-2023, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It all depends on the subject. If I'm out shooting birds with the DA*300 and TC, I will shoot Tv. I want the fastest shutter speed I can get and the lens is excellent wide open. But if I can get by with a lower shutter speed that will allow more DOF I'll go with that. Shooting off of a tripod is always manual. Handheld with a shorter lens like the 20-40, maybe manual, maybe Av, maybe Tv depending on the light. I formerly used Tav quite a bit on longer lengths, but it's just not necessary with the DA*300 or the DA55-300PLM since both are good wide open.
03-07-2023, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Av is my default setting in daily carry mode so I can be ready for almost anything.
M for when I am trying for a certain result.
I started using TAv recently for certain conditions where I want consistency between a series of images.
03-07-2023, 07:35 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Tav, Av, Sv, Manual, Program, at various times. The camera also has Auto, I don't know how that works I've never used it.
03-07-2023, 10:04 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I mainly us AV as I learned on an AV camera however lately I have been trying other modes, particularly TV as I found my pics exhibiting camera shake. I use auto ISO and set it within the bountries I want depending on the camera. On my 10d I keep it under 800, sometimes lower. On my k3iii I let it go to 6400. All that being said I have found myself experimenting with other modes on the K3iii as it is such versatile camera.
03-07-2023, 10:22 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nearly exclusive user of Manual - for all my cameras I hardly ever use the other PSAM modes, with occasional use of TaV mode on my Pentax cameras when I'm feeling lazy.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-08-2023 at 03:20 AM.