Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-15-2023, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #1

Backlighting

I'm curious what others have used for setting when using "backlighting" as a lighting technique. I saw an instance where a photographer had used the natural light coming through a window behind his model. By his response, I'm guessing he didn't know that was called backlighting. For those who were around from the days of film, man alive was backlighting A LOT harder then! Of course hitting the delete button does make a difference now. :-D ;-)

Oh and feel free to post any recent backlighting examples. I'd share, but I've been on the mend from back surgery since October 2020. Still not sturdy on my feet. Hopeful of experimenting in the near future. Having a second shooter with me, just in case my legs/back get too sore/tired to handle a full photo session.

Happy spring...errr sorta.

04-15-2023, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

A window alcove makes for great backlighting as the model is getting reflected light off the walls. It isn't so great if you want a silhouette.

04-15-2023, 05:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I shoot a lot of what I would consider "natural backlighting" because I shoot a lot in the early morning when the sun is low, often diffused by clouds or fog. I don't do a lot different to shoot that way because I use multi auto white balance most of the time, which seems to handle it well, since often reflections can create multiple light sources. I'm usually using multi segment metering because there will be a lot of dynamic range in the photo. The K-3iii also has highlight weighted metering, I haven't really experimented with that enough to see if it is useful in a backlit situation. Some examples with my reasoning of why the settings work, I may be wrong, I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again.

This was taken at during morning civil twilight, indirect sunlight from reflecting off of the atmosphere since the sune is lower than the horizon, then the sky's reflections on the water and wet sand create different light sources, exactly what the multi auto WB is for. Even though the light is soft and diffused, the birds become silhouettes because there is little to no light from behind.

Of course spider webs seem to look best when backlit, the light will catch the web and show its translucent quality. And the orb weavers themselves seem to glow. There is enough light from behind to get some of the color of the spider's bodies, I used center weighted metering here, my thinking was the strong light behind might turn this into a silhouette.

Last example, a sunrise in longleaf pine savanna. There is a light fog here so diffuse the sun a bit and soften the light. The savanna grass seems to glow in the sunlight, maybe a stretch but it creates many soft reflections of light for the multi auto white balance to handle. Lots of contrast in the scene calls for multi segment metering, without the reflecting "golden" grass the trees would be silhouettes
04-16-2023, 06:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can do a lot with the pop-up flash on your camera when it comes to backlighting....

Attached Images