Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2007, 10:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Scanning images

I have a Microtek ScanMaker 6000. This machine scans with a 6400x3200 dpi, 48 color CCD. I have had this scanner for at least a couple of years and have not used it very much. Part of the reason is that I am not satisfied with the results. It seems that the machine should handle what I scan... My question is where can I find information about properly scanning prints. I'm not sure I understand how this shold work. I want to digitize prints from the past. I also find the film adapter to be very unreliable. Any suggestions? Thanks.

03-17-2007, 10:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sadly, scanning prints and negatives is becoming a lost art. Wayne Fulton is still the defacto standard/primary source of scanning info. His self-published book is worth the few dollars he asks even if you happen to find what you need from the website.
03-17-2007, 05:20 PM   #3
Inactive Account

What computer and operating system are you using the scanner with?
I have an older Canon 660 flatbed and an HP Photosmart S20XT that I was never happy with UNTIL I bought my new computer with XP Pro. Ever since my scans are everything I ever wanted and then some!

Walt
03-17-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi,

I have post this in another tread, but i think that this is apropiated again.

This pictures are from Riga the capital of Latvia and my wife country.

Taked with Pentax 645 and FA 35/3,5 Fuji Velvia50 then scan with Epson 4870 at ONLY 360DPI

So imagine the resolution, color,etc... you can get from a scan of the Epson at 4800DPI the max resolution.

The all 3 pictures take me about 10min of work

Regards,

Pedro Santos

03-17-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
newtmaker, to be honest, I haven't used the scanner since I got a new Dell laptop in December. I will try again, possibly using some of the information that jfdavis pointed me toward. The OS is XP Home. Please don't me that won't work as well. And now that you mention that what's up with the Vista, soon to be shipped to me?

Pedro Santos, Beautiful pictures! I would be very happy if I could come up with something like those. What a beatiful old world city that must be.
03-17-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some follow-up...

If your Dell is functioning well, skip the Vista OS upgrade until Microsoft releases the first service pack. If you just 'gotta have' Vista check out this flowchart. It's 'definitive'.

Some of the Fulton material will point you toward Ed Hamrick's Vuescan; a 3rd party scanner driver worth it's weight in gold. I need the drivers my Nikon Coolscan Ved loads from the supplied disk, but on the Epson 4990 Flatbed I don't--I use the same 'Pro' copy of Vuescan with both scanners instead of the brand name applications.
03-18-2007, 07:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, jfdavis for the 'informative' and very funny flowchart; waiting for the service pack seems like a good idea. I will check out the Ed Hamrick's Vuescan as well.

Later: I checked out the VueScan site. It doesn't list my particular scanner, but the model # does fall between other Mikrotek scanner models. I e-mailed to see if I need to get another scanner. I also asked when VueScan will suport the newer Pentax dSLR's. Thanks for the tip; $80 isn't a bad price to pay to reclaim a few decades of images as digital.

Last edited by mysterick; 03-18-2007 at 08:00 AM.
03-18-2007, 09:28 PM   #8
Forum Member

I second the plug for Vuescan. If it doesn't support your scanner -- consider getting a different scanner! It's worth it to use a good tool. Also, you can scan to "raw" using Vuescan and then fine-tune the images in a second pass. I use this with my bulk-feed loader. I can scan using a Linux box and fine-tune using my Windoze box (which has monitor calibration). It's great stuff.