Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Thanks PDL, I made a smaller box about a year ago out of cardboard and it was OK, but nothing like I am expecting this to be. I realized after I got home that I dont have a saw, so I am going to getone tomorrow at WalMart and I need a sheet and possibly some velvet as well. I cant wait to put this together!
My wife has been selling quite a few oil paintings over the last year. She wanted to start creating prints of them. I figured I already had all the photo equipment so why not try it myself.

So I made a light box very similar to this with PVC except that it resembles more of a pyramid with a large open end at the bottom that rests on the floor and an opening at the top for me to place my camera in facing down towards the floor.

I then just lay the oil painting on the floor, place the "pyramid" over the top and place my camera up top looking down at the painting. I have cheep shop lights from Home Depot that clamp to the PVC piping on all four sides. Works like a charm.

I then send the prints to White House Custom Color and have them print them with a linen texture paper. They look absolutely awesome! We can now make additional prints by just telling them to print more! No print fees or minimum orders!

01-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was able to get it 90% complete before I had to come to work (such a drag). I have to make the custom cover and that is it. Structurely it is done, and I need to get some lighting as well. Should be ready to rock by weeks end.
01-06-2009, 03:03 AM   #18

As a jeweller and photographer of the jewellery I make I will be intrested to see the results the you acheive.
Both subjects will be challenging I think but one of my main frustrations is getting things like rings to stand up at the right angle to take the photos. Next thing will try is probably a hot glue gun and just a small spot of glue on the bottom of the ring.

Heres a couple of peices I have made and shot using just a peice of white card and lit by just douple batton fluro overhead.

Cheers Fritz.
01-06-2009, 06:36 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice work! There is a jewelry store in the mall near by that is going out of business, I hope they are still open because they are selling everything including fixtures so I am hoping I can get a couple items from them as well for this project.

01-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Tagging this too, my girlfriend makes jewelry as a side business, and I'm the one tasked with photographing it. Being winter and back in school, I don't have much time to head outside for hours at a time, so a lightbox on the kitchen table is just the thing I'm after
01-06-2009, 10:54 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Here is a link to an awesome site with tons of tips on photographing different types of products. There are some really great ideas on how to hang or support items which cannot stand on their own, etc. I've come back to this site many times.

TableTop Studio - Product Photography Step-by-Step How to
01-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
challenging I think but one of my main frustrations is getting things like rings to stand up at the right angle to take the photos. Next thing will try is probably a hot glue gun and just a small spot of glue on the bottom of the ring.
A couple of suggestions for rings:
1. Get some of the foam they use for flower arrangments, cover with cloth and stand ring in there, just like a ring box.
2. There's that tacky stuff credit cards are attached to when you get them in the mail. Craft stores sell this stuff in rolls of dots and in different sizes (I saw some over the internet too)

As to the shots above, they're great but, have you ever tried to shoot a wine glass, specially the tulip style!!! I'm starting to think it IS the lense and I should be using a tele.

01-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #23
Forum Member

This is a really neat thread! Tom, thats a cool setup you made, and I really should give this a try! I have no interest (as yet) of product shots but this will be cool just to have around... though I do like taking pictures of food, and the normal lighting in my kitchen sucks...
01-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
here is a link to an awesome site with tons of tips on photographing different types of products. There are some really great ideas on how to hang or support items which cannot stand on their own, etc. I've come back to this site many times.

tabletop studio - product photography step-by-step how to
that is an awesome link!!!!!
01-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I made that home studio, its OK. I did some test shots wtih my girlfriends jewelry and the DA35LTD seems like it will do the trick nucely. I do go ahead and order the Bead Jewelry Kit from Tabletop Studio today and hope to have it sometime this week. I think even though the home-brew will be fine, the made kit seems a bit more flexible and it will pay for itself I am sure.

Thanks everyone for all of the advice!