Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
Forum Member

Is it just me or is my camera really noisey?

I dunno about everyone else but my k100d seems to make a lot of noise when focusing and shooting. I have used some nikkons (d40, d80) and a canon digital rebel and they all are super quiet when focusing and shooting..autofocus on the nikkon focuses without making any noise..but on my camera with kit lense as well as a tamron zoom...makes soooo much noise. i know it probably doesn't matter but it's annoying as hell and i'm just wondering why is it like that? are the more expensive lenses like that? i can feel the focus and shutter when i hold the camera..on the others i couldn't even tell because it was so smooth...

Last edited by menappi; 01-02-2009 at 07:45 PM.
01-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SDM lenses are dead silent, but you will need to update your body to take advantage of them. The K10D, K20D, and K200D all support SDM. The shutter on the K200D is not nearly as loud as the K100D. There's less noise from the mirror slap as well.
01-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Pentax hasn't really focuses much on improving auto focus and puts most of its R/D into the sensor and lens development. It works well enough for prosumers but these cameras were never designed to have super fast focus that you really only need for things like sports photography.
01-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I guess I just wish they were more like the other prosumer grade cameras out there like the d40 because it gets annoying..

01-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[QUOTE=menappi;437247]I guess I just wish they were more like the other prosumer grade cameras out there like the d40 because it gets annoying..[/QUOTE

So annoying?.Stop using it, sell the darn thing , be happy and go with one of the quiet ones.
Cheers. Mike.
edit, I did not hear the shutter go "KLUNK". I think me lithiums go dead on me after 1 thousand + shots.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 01-02-2009 at 09:23 PM.
01-02-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

is the noise really bothersome ... i thought taking good pictures was the goal here lol.
01-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chwisch87 Quote
is the noise really bothersome ... i thought taking good pictures was the goal here lol.
Shooting in a quiet church during a wedding ceremony makes you acutely aware of how much noise the K100D makes when the mirror moves.

The rest of the time, not so much.

01-03-2009, 12:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yep, though I don't find my K10D as loud as even my film cameras. I haven't done a side by side comparison but I think the K1000 (film) sounds like a car backfiring compared to the K10D. And as I posted elsewhere, there are much louder cameras out there.

When I shoot weddings, I am definitely concious of the noises my camera makes, specially when I use flash and that adds to the noise, but I see it as part of the game. Just don't go nuts shooting at full burst right during the blessing or the breaking of the bread, etc.
01-03-2009, 05:36 AM   #9
Forum Member

The K20D is a lot louder than my D40. The first 100 shots or so that I took, I was worried that it would randomly fall apart on me because the shutter and mirror slap sounds were so loud (compared to the Nikon).

I got used to it though and don't find it bothersome any more.
01-03-2009, 04:54 PM   #10
axl
Veteran Member

I have K10 and K100 and they are loud, K100 more than K10. I did care for a while. But looking at the pictures I took, I don't bother, I grew accustomed to it, and I actually love the sound of K10's shutter/mirror. K100D is tad loud to my liking, but what the hell, do I care...
BR

PS: I'd rather have loud camera with SR than quiet one without it....
01-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
when I first started shooting w/ a k110, I was a bit self conscious about everything... not wanting to look like a complete newb. so how I held the camera, the way I made adjustments, and the sounds that the cam made me feel like a poser. but no one has ever said that my camera was too loud or that I should stop shooting. and yeah, it may be a bit louder than your compadres, but it's not THAT bad...

really, I enjoy photography so much more now that I don't give a rip about what other people think when I'm going about getting some shots... as long as I'm not being REALLY annoying and going to places where I know I should not be, then no problem. just get better at your craft, and when you begin to master some of the camera, you won't have to take as many shots... when the moment presents itself, you'll know what to do to capture the moment. no need to shoot spraying wildly hoping that one shot will be a keeper. take a shot, look at it, figure out what you can do better.
01-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the KERCHUNK of my K100D shutter. It sounds better than some P&S cameras that beep to tell you they took a shot.

As for the kit lens I haven't noticed them being noisy.
01-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I think my K10D is noisy as hell (especially with a 100mm macro going from infinity to 1:1 and bak again) - but much more quiet than any film camera I've used. That, and I love it!
01-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #14
Banned

if you used a d40 then yes this is a whole different world. the d40 has no AF motor in the body, it relies on AF-S and AF-I lenses. if you used those same lenses on the d80 it will be the same story despite the d80 having an in body AF motor. your K100D does not support SDM lenses (the pentax equivalent of your nikon lenses) so you are using older style screw driven lenses. its not surprising that someone who has only used these 'sonic' drive focusing lenses would think that the Pentax is noisy, but regardless of manufacturer if you are using a screw-driven AF lens it will be noisy compared to SDM. as for the shutter.. well that almost a trademark of pentax for better or worse, but most 'Pentaxians' seem to prefer that reassuring 'clunk'.
01-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
if you used a d40 then yes this is a whole different world. the d40 has no AF motor in the body, it relies on AF-S and AF-I lenses. if you used those same lenses on the d80 it will be the same story despite the d80 having an in body AF motor.
I'm surprised to say, but both Sont and Nikon's in-body motors are much quieter than Pentax'.

Tried on D3, D80 and Alpha 100. They sounded like the micromotors of a lens. How do they do that?

PS: I love the noises my K100D makes. So do all of those who have seen my camera.