Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Back to the Aquarium

I made a semi-successfull trip to the Atlanta Aquarium last year and now I am going to make a trip to the Florida Aquarium in a couple weeks. When I went to Atlanta I had the Tamron 70-300mm Macro lens with me and a make-shift hood attachment to help me get up on the glass and block out extra light. It was huge and the fact that it was not an IF lens made it even more cumbersome.

I have a different setup this time around, although I do not have an AF/IF macro to use, I am thinking of getting some macro filters and putting them on the DA*200mm and/or DA*50-135mm since they are AF/IF lenses. I take that back, I do have the DA35LTD, that will be coming with me for sure for some wide shots. I think I will order the filter kits and test them out at the local pet store to see what kind of focus ranges and IQ I can get out of them.

I remember that I tried the Canon 250 lens on the DA*200mm and it just sucked for hand held shooting. You had to be within a certain focal distance in order to get anything in focus. I was not impressed. I hate Canon.

01-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anyone have any experience with the Raynox stuff?
01-05-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Anyone have any experience with the Raynox stuff?
All accessory lenses work the same - fixed distance from the front of the lens. Sorry to be a bummer for you! My best aquarium shots were with a 55/1.8 fitted with a rubber hood.
01-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BTW, the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanoga is awesome and well worth the visit if you ever go thru there.

01-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
All accessory lenses work the same - fixed distance from the front of the lens. Sorry to be a bummer for you! My best aquarium shots were with a 55/1.8 fitted with a rubber hood.
That does suck, but yes the rubber hood is a must have. I used a rubber plumbing coupler the first time I went, I think it was a 5" to 4" so it looked like a real hood.
01-06-2009, 05:27 AM   #6
jdg
Forum Member

I tried shooting indoor aquariums with my kitlens and out of a hundred shots i only got 6 good photo's.

this was one of them

Last edited by jdg; 01-06-2009 at 05:32 AM.
01-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
nah

QuoteOriginally posted by jdg Quote
I tried shooting indoor aquariums with my kitlens and out of a hundred shots i only got 6 good photo's.

this was one of them
Great shot!