Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Covert it to B&W....that's what I do.

01-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #17

The majority of the color is in the red and yellow. Just pull the cyan and blue down and lighten or darken to your taste.

I pulled the green, magenta, cyan, and blue down in the candle shot. You can play with it a bit more to completely remove the color in the windows, I just salted to my taste.

I just pulled the cyan down in the kitchen shot and should have pulled the blue down as well to fix the curtain and counter top.

It took longer for Photoshop to open than to play with the hue/saturation tool for both photos.

Edit I went back and pulled the blues down in the kitchen shot.

Before

After
Name:  p669646997-5.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  24.0 KB

Before

After
Name:  p983431181-3.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  228.9 KB

Last edited by poco; 01-08-2009 at 04:10 AM.
01-08-2009, 03:23 AM   #18
Veteran Member

You could play around with flashes and gels, that'd give you a LOT of control

The kitchen shot for example: I could turn the tungsten lights off and bounce one or 2 flashes if the ceilings were white to give similar lighting and since the flashes are daylight balanced it'd match the outdoors. Or I could add 1/4 CTO gels to those strobes to give a slightly warmer look in the interior but maintain the neutral outdoor window.

However you won't be able to get "spontaneous" shots that quickly though
01-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron1971 Quote
Whet kind of light bulb is tungsten?
The usual kind - the one that screws into in most household lamps, the one every cartoonist has used to indicate a bright ideas, the one that forms the subject of so many jokes about how many so-and-sos it takes to change one, etc. The only kind your grandparents ever bought. Also known as incandescent. Basically, anything you'd buy for use in your home that isn't a fluorescent bulb. Well, OK, some light fixtures take halogen bulbs, but if you've got one of those, you know it, because those suckers can be hard to find and expensive to replace.

01-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by poco Quote
The majority of the color is in the red and yellow. Just pull the cyan and blue down and lighten or darken to your taste.

I pulled the green, magenta, cyan, and blue down in the candle shot. You can play with it a bit more to completely remove the color in the windows, I just salted to my taste.

I just pulled the cyan down in the kitchen shot and should have pulled the blue down as well to fix the curtain and counter top.

It took longer for Photoshop to open than to play with the hue/saturation tool for both photos.

Edit I went back and pulled the blues down in the kitchen shot.

Before

After
Attachment 25398

Before

After
Attachment 25461
poco,

Thank you for your effort. I had pretty much the same result in PS. Neither of these pictures were posted for their quality....it was just to show a point.

As for flash, well, I try to avoid it. That's why I bought a Sigma 28 f/1.8 before Christmas. I love natural colors. When I use flash, I can't manage to get the same color rendition as in that kitchen picture.

And gels...well...there was no time for that. I prefer bouncing also, but when I visit my in-laws, my 540 doesn't do too well in this environment.

01-09-2009, 11:16 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you shoot in RAW and chose AWB it works quite well. Just tried it using a bottle as no one home to put in front of the sink. (except me and I hate dishes!) Of course you could move all the candles to the other side of the Xmas tree!