Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
A few noob inquiries

Luckily, I've had rather few problems learning photography thus far however, I've found myself with a bit of a lighting dilemma. You see, I've (tentatively) got my first paid gig doing a band photograph. My location of choice is a rather interesting hayloft that, thanks to the amount of snow around and the loose construction, lets in just enough natural light in just such a way that it makes for a very nice photograph. However, I imagine that I'm not going to get quite enough light on my subjects to make them distinguishable without ruining the ambiance. Of course, naturally, I want to add some light fill flash. However, my options are very limited seeing as the only flash equipment I own besides the pop-up on my K200D is an AF-16. I have access to two studio strobes with brollies and (if I recall correctly) a softbox. These would be almost perfect but... the electrical connections in the barn are less than safe for borrowed equipment, leaving me with only the option of battery-powered equipment. So, essentially what I need to know is: What's my most economical option here? My money's rather tight at the moment (the reason I've been trying to solicit gigs) and the most I can really spend is about $100. Below is a shot I took of just the loft. Settings are ISO1600 1/90s F/5.6 on DA 18-55.

Next inquiry:

I have a studio gig with my yearbook class next week taking portraits of grads. One thing I've noticed in my previous endeavours with studio flash photography is that I tend to get too much glare off of peoples glasses. The (admittedly faulty) setup we've used in the past consists of two strobes with silver brollies placed in a sort of long isosceles triangle with the subject covering the third point and the side formed by the strobes perpendicular to the backdrop. As I recall, one of the strobes can have a softbox attached to it. Both units react to the light emitted from the camera flash, thus I can't avoid using that (I'll probably be popping my AF-16 in just to get the light further away from the optical axis). I'll assume I'll want to use some sort of diffusion on that. Our editors prefer that all pictures have the subject facing the same way so I figure the most universally flattering configuration would be oblique, key parallel to the backdrop and fill perpendicular, but I'm a little lost on precise positions and which lighting accessories to use on which strobe. Also, if it will help I could possibly construct a makeshift diffuser with a bedsheet and some sort of frame. Any advice would really help.

Final inquiry (for tonight at least):

Does anyone have any experience with Hoya's Softon A filter? It sounds fairly useful but the comparison images they use are all but beneficial to the product's appeal. The "with" image is extremely washed out. This seems to have been taken in daylight so I imagine that could have something to do with it. If so, does it behave any better in the studio? Or is it all bologna?

Thanks

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
01-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, I don't have any answers for you, but I'm surprised that no one else has replied yet. At the very least my reply will bump your thread back up to the top so maybe it'll get noticed.
01-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yeah, I'm wondering why this didn't get a response. Unfortunately, I don't have anything of value to add other than to keep this bumped up.
01-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I didn't even see this thread before, and I am not sure I can be of much help but I do have a couple of suggestions you might look into. I don't know that they are the best possibilities but it is what popped into my mind when I read your questions:

1. Could you possibly rent a gas powered powersupply / generator? I'm not sure how much they cost for rental or their feasibility, but I am guessing a small one could work for the lighting you might need.

2. Could you possibly use a polarizer if the strobes are coming from an indirect angle? It won't work if you are using an on camera flash since the reflection would be direct, but it might work for the strobes.

I have no comment on your third question...

01-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
As a first gig, perhaps a little less challenging venue, might be a thought.

Both in terms of lack of light and also it's gonna be cold and drafty for your subjects, which means you'll need to work fast (not ideal, especially with multiple subjects as in band members).
01-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If money's extremely tight, I would opt for using a series of flashguns triggered with Cactus triggers (found on eBay). Using this solution, you'd have to shoot in manual or X-sync, but then you can use (relatively) cheap flashes (Sunpak, Nikon SB-24/SB26, etc) that you can get off Craigslist or eBay (just make sure the trigger voltage of the flash is below 6V). This way, you won't have to rely on an AC power source, giving you more flexibility on lighting location; you will be limited to the limited light output of however many flashes you have available.

Not ideal, but definitely economical. Check out the Strobist blog for an idea of what you can achieve using flashes: http://strobist.blogspot.com/

- Jason
01-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure you need a lot

your shot here is at 1/90th, and F5.6

you might be better off getting some fast lenses, shooting wide open and having fun

01-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

For the glasses, have them tilt the frame ever so slightly down. We did this in a portrait class i took at Georgian College in 2007, and worked ok.

Dave
01-14-2009, 09:02 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips guys. I managed to come up a pretty nice lighting scheme, mixing the two strobes with a pile of the overhead hot lights. Unfortunately there's nothing conducive for a hairlight but I think that, this early, it's more of a trifle.

The amount of contrast between my key and my fill might be a smidge high, but it doesn't seem all that unattractive either. Anyhoo, here's an example. Any advice for improvements would be appreciated.

01-15-2009, 06:28 AM   #10

Check out planet neil's guides on flash photography. Flash done properly can give you amazing results while still retaining the ambience. You can always buy faster lenses, but a flash is a MUCH cheaper and often more flexible solution.

planet neil's guide is found at:
http://www.planetneil.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/

goodluck!