Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
Forum Member

What do you do with your photos?

Hi all,

It may sound like a dumb question.

In the old days, when I did film photography, I put my prints in a archival "shoe-box", loosely categorized.

These few years, I've been using only digicam until last month (I got my first DSLR-K10d), and took mostly snapshots. And I stored my photos in a folder on my computer. Sometimes I share the photos with a friend by email, but for the majority of my photos, I rarely even look at them afterwards. I rarely print my photos. Yet, I have a nagging feeling that unless a photo is printed, it's an unfinished process.

Yet, I have little space in my apartment, and the thought of printing lots of photos, making albums, seems overwhelming (it takes so much time to upload to servers to print)

So I wonder, what do you guys do with your photos?

donna

01-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #2

Hi Donna!
You should try a digital picture frame. It doesn't take up a lot of room and you can display your pictures!
01-08-2009, 12:22 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by annod Quote
Hi all,

It may sound like a dumb question.

In the old days, when I did film photography, I put my prints in a archival "shoe-box", loosely categorized.

These few years, I've been using only digicam until last month (I got my first DSLR-K10d), and took mostly snapshots. And I stored my photos in a folder on my computer. Sometimes I share the photos with a friend by email, but for the majority of my photos, I rarely even look at them afterwards. I rarely print my photos. Yet, I have a nagging feeling that unless a photo is printed, it's an unfinished process.

Yet, I have little space in my apartment, and the thought of printing lots of photos, making albums, seems overwhelming (it takes so much time to upload to servers to print)

So I wonder, what do you guys do with your photos?

donna
Stick 'em on the Web ! GoDaddy for example will sell you a hosting account & domain & provide you with easy to use Photo Album software, or you can put them in PhotoBucket or a simiar site. That way your friends and family can see your Photo Blog.
01-08-2009, 12:29 AM   #4

Not a dumb question at all and I once asked the same Q on another forum.
I can honestly say that since I got my Fuji F20 in dec 2006 I have not yet printed one photo. Since then I've also acquired a Fuji 5600, a fuji 6500fd, a pentax k100d and a pentax k200 d and so I have a heap of pics mostly stored on discs hoping that one day I might get around to doing something with them. A few were uploaded to Flickr but mostly for the purpose of linking to forums.

One day..................one day

01-08-2009, 02:21 AM   #5

The most satisfying thing I've done is put my favourite shots into a folder on my laptop and have my screensaver set to cycle through them randomly, turning my screen into a 14inch digital photo frame. And since i have (f&%ing) Vista, I also have the little gadget thingy that cycles through a selected folder's photos and puts that on my desktop in a small frame. It's a way to continue to enjoy my photos rather than feel they're simply a mass of Gigs on my harddrives!

I know a lot of people don't print out the photos they take, but one think I like to have is a corkboard (they're light and inexpensive) and have some photos stuck on that, and also at work I have some printed out that I try to change from time to time.

Finally, I agree with posting photos online and sharing them with friends - even facebook is okay because you can put them into albums and provide comments and the like.
01-08-2009, 02:47 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I print my best photos and use them as gifts for my family. I also make some large prints (40x60cm and 60x90cm) and make posters for my office. And now i´m working with a project for decorating an outdoor toilet at our family cabin ind the mountains. I´m member of an local Photo club where we show ours photos to get critics.

regards
POM
01-08-2009, 02:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi Donna!

First of all, i want to say that you are very right. It happens a lot for people turn digital and it is a main reson why i still shot film.

Well, I shot DIA film so what i do with my photos is to show them on a dia-projector on the wall and invite people to look. You can take a coffie and cakes and everyone is looking your work and speak about the places and the photos you have take.
This is for me a speciall moment of joy and I really hope that people share my experience in this way.
My digital photos do I print and put them in the wall in my appartment, and when im tired of any I change it for a new one haha
Anyway I think that the main importance is that you don't use the computer to store all the pictures, becasue it's easy that it becomes a jail for your poor images

Best Regards Emil
01-08-2009, 03:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Everytime I go out and shoot, I transfer my 'keeper' images into organized folders onto my external hard drive. Once I reach a certain amount, I then back them up onto DVD's. When I get the urge, I'll print some out to put in a photo album so I can show family and friends. I upload some of my better photos online and have been meaning to create a site but haven't gotten around to it yet.

01-08-2009, 03:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I show them online to my friends and to communities like these, I am a member to a number of local photography forums, flickr, multiply, facebook, and it's a joy to share photos there.

When on a trip or event I give CD/DVDs to the people. I also like giving prints of special photos to people, and keep prints that are my personal favorites. I have a whole wall/cabinet door that's covered with "tiles" of corkboard, and I push-pin them there. That way I showcase my photos too.

If I "outgrow" the prints, I put them aside and put new ones. I personally like putting great "mistakes" or prints that aren't exactly popular but somehow I like them. After a while you start seeing patterns in your photos and you get to understand WHY you like them and it can be a start of your OWN style/signature

It's also a great way of keeping track of how your style and taste in photography progresses throughout the months/years!
01-08-2009, 03:51 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
I show them online to my friends and to communities like these, I am a member to a number of local photography forums, flickr, multiply, facebook, and it's a joy to share photos there.

When on a trip or event I give CD/DVDs to the people. I also like giving prints of special photos to people, and keep prints that are my personal favorites. I have a whole wall/cabinet door that's covered with "tiles" of corkboard, and I push-pin them there. That way I showcase my photos too.

If I "outgrow" the prints, I put them aside and put new ones. I personally like putting great "mistakes" or prints that aren't exactly popular but somehow I like them. After a while you start seeing patterns in your photos and you get to understand WHY you like them and it can be a start of your OWN style/signature

It's also a great way of keeping track of how your style and taste in photography progresses throughout the months/years!

Looking at the photos in your gallery I am amazed that you don't eat them they look so delicious
01-08-2009, 03:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ukbluetooth Quote
Looking at the photos in your gallery I am amazed that you don't eat them they look so delicious
Aah haha the ones I put in the gallery have been my food shots haha! I should put more in it! I usually put them on the threads, like in the DA21 thread in the lens section recently

Thanks for the kind words, buddy! Not all of them are really edible though, and I don't really feel like eating them after touching/handling them for the shoot
01-08-2009, 04:13 AM   #12
Forum Member

I do a bit of everything.

Some I print - particularly if they are for some of the projects on my degree course, but also sometimes because it's good to hold a picture in your hands.

Many go on my flickr photostream, but I also have my own website that I run from my home server (and although it's not very well managed I can dump as much as I like on there).

I' ve also had special projects/holidays printed in big (12") photo books from CEWE, and of course most of them just live in Folders on various had drives including external backups.

It's the great thing about digital that you can do all this.

Neil
01-08-2009, 08:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Flickr, webshots, picasa, email. That's once nice thing about digital...they're meant to be shared.
When the yearly Walgreen's free 8x10 print offer shows up, I print out one that I like and hang it on the wall :-)
01-08-2009, 08:50 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A little bit of everything.

I have thousands of pics on my computers, sorted out in a tree of folders by categories. Copies on home computer(s) and some on my work computer(s).

I have a bunch of these pictures printed out (my wife is big into scrapbooking, so lots of shots of the dogs, kids, travels, family, etc...).

I have a digital picture frame with a hundred or so of my favorites cycling thru in the living room.

I have a 3x5 foot (approx) satellite photo-map of the USA on my office wall, with prints of various work trip photos tacked up at the appropriate spots.

I have made a number of 8x10 prints as gifts for family members at Xmas/Bday, or for colleagues for retirement gifts.

I have pictures posted in the gallery here at PF, and over at RoxnDox's deviantART Gallery....

I post a fair number of shots to the usenet group alt.binaries.photos.original to share with friends around the world just like here...

Jim
01-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I used to use PBase then moved to Flickr then Picasa and finally settled on Photobucket about 2 years ago. That was before I started up my cycling website and went to GoDaddy for a hosting plan. Now even though they are not all up there I have started uploading all of them to NextGenGallery. I am not displaying all galleries but I could if I wanted to. Secondly I offload all images to a 1TB drive usually copied at the same time they are imported into Lightroom.

I used to have folder under folder under folder, but that has proved to be too cumbersome. All images on the 1TB drive are cataloged into a single Lightroom database, sure makes it easier to find everything.