Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2009, 06:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

After 10 years, I am leaving Pentax (sort of long post)

Hi,

I have used Pentax for about 10 years. Started with ME Super - great small camera that never let me down. Then upgraded to ZX-5N - best looking design ever: new technology with retro dials. After introduction of digital cameras (though not right away) I got istDL as a gift from my wife. Loved this small camera. But time came when CBA hit and I upgraded to K10D. Somehow never got used to the size and extra weight of K10D though its features were great and easily accessible by all the extra buttons istDL did not have.

Unfortunately, after my kid started to walk and then run (he's now 2.5) my K10D wasn't simply fast enough to keep up with him. I know that Pentax's AF system is not that greatest so I looked for alternatives. I did post question here to see if SDM lenses would speed things up but got replies that it will make things only less noisy :-)

I knew it was a time for me to look at other brands. I was never big Canon fan so I picked up Nikon D60 at the local store. I did few AF tests in the store and noticed that it performed great. Yesterday I got my new/refurbished D60 (from Adorama) and I put lens I got on Craigslist (new 18-105mm VR Nikon lens). After first three shots I took at home in dim light I was sold. I know that I am keeping this camera.

I would like to thank all the members here for great time. This forum is definitely different than others I am member of. You can get great advice here and you will not scroll thru tons of posts of type "my camera is better than yours" or you will not have to filter insulting posts. I acquired a lot of knowledge here and even when I started I wasn't treated as somebody who's new and does not know anything.

So even I have a different label on my system now, I wish you all good times taking pictures and let every photo be a keeper.

Alex

01-08-2009, 07:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Good luck.
01-08-2009, 07:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Best wishes on the next part of your journey.
01-08-2009, 07:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

kan i haz ur stufs?

01-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Good luck with the D60, it's not a bad little camera (we have one for office use here). OK results for stationary stuff, haven't had much "moving target" images with it, but if it works for you, great.

Of course, you don't need to ditch your Pentax gear. You might look at the KM/K2000 instead of the K10D if size and weight are an issue. Either way, have fun taking good pictures
01-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

All the best and wish a great future with the new system
01-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm glad you went Nikon, for while they are one of the big dogs, IMO they are closer to Pentax than the Other One or the Consumer Electronics one.
01-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I dont see why people feel that they have to leave the forum just because they are changing cameras? You shot with a pentax for a while so you are really just becoming like an "Ex-Pat" so come back from time to time and say hi. The knowledge you have about pentax cameras will stay with you so why not continue to hang out. Just no posting pictures from the evil camera you are switching to

01-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good luck with your new gear and like gokenin said, don't become a stranger. Photography knowledge is photography knowledge. A Nikon isn't all that different from a Pentax. We promise we won't be too insulting! Duplo still comes back from time to time and he now shoots with a Nikon.

NaCl(some of my best friends shoot Nikons)H2O
01-08-2009, 03:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photography is photography

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
I dont see why people feel that they have to leave the forum just because they are changing cameras?
My thoughts as well.

On another pentax list i frequent, we have had a number of participants that changed systems, for various reasons. Lack of support, tired of waiting for lenses, flash and focus problems, and what ever.

They now shoot Canon, Nikon, Panasonic and Oly's.

They still participate, and its nice to see and hear things ~FROM~ other systems and perspectives.

Dave
01-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Alex,
Good luck with the D60, its a good camera. Please drop by from time to time and let us know how you are getting on.

My daughter has the D60 and loves (d) it, although she has recently considered buying a new lens and got two shocks, first was the price and second was the fact that only AFS Nikkor lenses would give her full automatic features, anything else became a very expensive manual lens.

Now she has a very big decision to make, stay with Nikon & upgrade at $$$ that she really doesn't have or upgrade her old *ist DL and dust off the old Pentax lens.

Cheers.
Grant
01-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

All the best Alex. Enjoy the new camera system.
01-08-2009, 06:25 PM   #13
Igilligan

I feel the pull myself... my girls 4 and 6 are too fast for my MF skills....

Good luck... and come back and PM me some action / Tracking AF shots if you would, that is if you dont want to post them in the forum...

Thanks
01-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Gus,
Are you still using a K100D?

It might pay to pop into a store one day and have a play with a K200 or K20. Be sure to go to the custom menu and turn on the "Catch in Focus" option.

I know I am only saying what has been said by others. ...but it does make a difference.

Cheers.
Grant
01-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
I dont see why people feel that they have to leave the forum just because they are changing cameras? You shot with a pentax for a while so you are really just becoming like an "Ex-Pat" so come back from time to time and say hi. The knowledge you have about pentax cameras will stay with you so why not continue to hang out.
very true, I'm an ex-pat ;-) shh don't tell anyone... I ended up with the big N also (after an unsuccessful flirt with Oly)..

though I guess I still play around with some pentax gear as James (roentarre) obviously still has lots of pentax gear... Ohh and I still have some Pentax film cameras and A lenses...

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Good luck... and come back and PM me some action / Tracking AF shots if you would, that is if you dont want to post them in the forum..
Think he will need at least the D90 for good tracking (well matrix tracking, though again the D300 is a big step up in this regard too with 51 focus points)

Last edited by joele; 01-08-2009 at 07:25 PM.