Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which exposure mode for which lens?

While I could just leave my K20D on on Av mode for the auto lenses (and I do switch to Av if I want to control DOF), I like to experiment. My main 3 modes are:

M for Pentax-M & M42 lenses (MF & ME): Use Green button for general exposure level setting (momentarily stops down lens to required aperture & determines exposure) and +/- EV control to fine-tune.

Av for Pentax-A auto-exposure lenses (MF & AE)

P
I like to fiddle with Hyper-Program (camera determines correct exposure & you get to manually alter the balance between aperture & shutter speed) for the auto lenses: F, FA, DA.

Others:
Tv - I've only used this a few times. Haven't got into action shooting yet.

TAv - looks interesting (varies the ISO sensitivity) but I've not used it yet. Under what circumstances do others use it?

Dan.

01-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like to keep things simple and consistent. Since M is the only mode that works with Pentax-M lenses (and I use those quite a bit)< I just use M mode all the time. It took me all of about a week after switching from P and/or Av mode that being in M mode actually suits me better - I get more consistent exposures when I am in charge (and only change exposure when the light changes enough for me to notice) than when the camera tries to account for every little variation in the distribution of light and dark objects within a scene (eg, one exposure for a group of 10 dark objects and one dark, a different exposure for a group of 10 dark objects and one light, even though the light hasn't changed).
01-12-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I use TAv for wildlife shooting where the exposure can change from sun to shade. I set an aperture (usually wide open for minimum depth of field and most light) and a high-ish shutter speed to freeze motion, so then the only thing that can change is ISO. Very handy, and AFAIK, not available on other brands!

Also, P mode has some custom settings for how it optimizes the settings. MTF will read the MTF value of the Pentax lens and set aperture for maximum sharpness (? - I believe that's it). Action will set a higher shutter speed, and there's one to optimize aperture for depth of field, and I think a couple of others. I use P mode (set to MTF) fairly often.
01-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
graphicgr8s

If I'm doing an assignment for a client than it's M all the way. Now if I am just out shooting and am in between areas I want to shoot I leave it in "green" so I can "point and shoot" sometimes it is the difference between getting the shot and not getting it. And I normally leave it in manual focus also, again unless I am in between areas.

01-13-2009, 03:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, Russ, my P mode is set to favour MTF.

Dan.
01-13-2009, 04:14 AM   #6
Forum Member

TAv would be more useful to me if it could be set to automatically increase A or T instead of overexposing. As such I usually leave it in A unless I need more control, then I go to M.
01-13-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by denisv Quote
TAv would be more useful to me if it could be set to automatically increase A or T instead of overexposing. As such I usually leave it in A unless I need more control, then I go to M.
Overexposing? Hmmm, I never get overexposure with TAv (or at least, no more exposure errors than in any other mode). Does yours always overexpose in TAv but not in other modes?

01-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I generally use Av mode most of the time.

If I'm using off-camera flash, I switch to M since I want my exposures to be consistent.
01-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
I generally use Av mode most of the time.

If I'm using off-camera flash, I switch to M since I want my exposures to be consistent.
Pretty much what i do, except I always use M when I'm using flash....on the hotshoe or strobist style.