Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2009, 10:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
AlohaDave:If you are on a tripod though, it's better to turn off SR, whether you can select the focal length or not.

It works by trying to predict motion that handholding would produce, so if it's on a stable tripod, you wouldn't have those kinds of movements, and the sensor would move and introduce softness.

Now, if you are on a tripod that is not super steady, SR may help a bit, but I don't know if anyone has really tested that
Dave, you need to read the thread before you give advice. Here was my first repsonse to the OP question. I will post it again for you since you do not read the whole thread before you respond

Jewelltrail:
QuoteQuote:
Your best Macro will happen on the tripod. When using the tripod, shut the Shake Reduction off.

01-15-2009, 04:43 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
There is a one-to-one relationship between the distance to the subject and the magnification.
[...]
Actual_Focal_Length*(1+magnification)
Thanks for the formula. In the other thread, I had worked out this formula from the thin lens formula, and came to the same correction (=2) for 1:1 magnification.

UPDATE:
I have added the magnification formula in the other thread (and showed how it derives from the Thin Lens formula):
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/376413-post2.html

Last edited by falconeye; 01-16-2009 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Cross link to derivation of the formula
01-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Try this. Put on a manual lens, SR on, enter for instance 600mm. Set shutter to 4 seconds. Place the camera on a table and release the shutter (make sure SR engages) let go of camera.

With a little “luck” (it helps to give the camera a little twist when releasing the shutter) the camera starts to vibrate on the table
Just did a quick test with 250mm. I tried it with the camera on the table and halfway on the table (so that it could move like a seesaw). No movement by the camera at all. Yes, the sensor made a noise as usual with long exposures, but the camera remained rock solid. This was a K100D.

Well, I thought, you'll say it wasn't 600mm. So I went (can't believe I actually did this ) and got a manual lens. Set it to 800mm and 600mm. And *then* the camera really started to ... do nothing. Sat there as a rock.

When I gave it the tiniest tip, it started to wobble on the table. With the (smaller) manual lens it was in an unstable position, yet the sensor movement didn't cause any movement to it that was observable with the naked eye at all.

Interestingly, sometimes the SR would shut itself off. This was only the case when I pressed the release button without holding the camera, i.e., giving it a little twist when releasing. Perhaps -- pure speculation -- when the camera notices that it cannot counteract the movement, it stops SR altogether. Don't know.

Anyhow, no dancing K100D on my table. Now I'm disappointed.

I agree that movement should be kept to a minimum and I shut off SR on a tripod (better, I use 2-sec delay, which uses mirror lock up and shuts off the SR anyhow) but I'm not convinced that the noise I'm hearing indicates any significant camera movement.

Last edited by Class A; 01-15-2009 at 06:47 PM.
01-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can often get just as sharp macro shots handheld than with the tripod. just use the flash.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #14 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #15. Any brand camera. Any subject. Enter now!

01-15-2009, 09:02 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well, here an attempt that is handheld, and as barondla suggests, with the flash. SR turned off, the math seemed hard - I had a 135mm tak on a bellows. Seems ok? Thanks everyone for their input, and in advance to anyone else who wats to chime in.

01-16-2009, 12:28 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Wow too deep for me guys. I thought photographers were artists not mathematicians.

I shoot my macros hand held because I'm normally chasing bugs with a macro lens. If I am shooting flowers and use a tripod, then SR is off because I use the mirror lock up feature which automatically turns SR off. I figure if I have the luxury of shooting a stationary macro subject, I might as well use all the advantages I can and mirror lock-up makes a BIG difference when shooting macros on a tripod.
01-16-2009, 12:30 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Well, here an attempt that is handheld, and as barondla suggests, with the flash. SR turned off, the math seemed hard - I had a 135mm tak on a bellows. Seems ok? Thanks everyone for their input, and in advance to anyone else who wats to chime in.

It looks good to me. It does depend on what you want to do with it. Obviously if you print it large it will look different than it does displayed here on-line. As far as I can see you've done quite well with this.

01-16-2009, 01:24 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Anyhow, no dancing K100D on my table. Now I'm disappointed.
You did wait for the SR signal to light up? Anyhow my k10d vibrates like a mobile phone on the table. Clear proof that the SR motors are powerful enough to shake the entire camera. And the small amplitude and high frequency is not really what the lighter tripods are built for.

But as this only occurs at fairly long focal lengths I would guess that it is safe to use SR on short lenses. Even though it does feel strange to use the normal shutter button when the camera is mounted on a tripod, it’s just wrong.
01-16-2009, 02:49 AM   #24
Pentaxian

You did wait for the SR signal to light up?
I did several runs, with pauses between them. And I heard the SR working.

Anyhow my k10d vibrates like a mobile phone on the table.
If I'm not mistaken the K10D uses an improved SR version with a higher amplitude. That might explain it. I doubt your K10D is defective, but that could also explain it. Still completely surprised that your camera is actually moving instead of just making a noise despite the extreme FL setting, but of course I believe you even though I couldn't observe anything like it in my experiments.

Last edited by Class A; 01-16-2009 at 11:07 PM.
01-16-2009, 04:50 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I did several runs, with pauses between them. And I heard the SR working.

If I'm not mistaken the K10D uses an improved SR version with a higher amplitude.
That might be it, or you where to quick on the shutter and the SR never kicked in. a little buzzing sound from the motors are normal even when SR is not used.
01-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Someone on here did a test of SR by removing the lens and setting the camera for a long exposure. The SR started moving, then more, then it got to a point where it couldn't keep up with the movements and stopped.

Don't remember who did this, unfortunately.
01-16-2009, 11:04 PM   #27
Pentaxian

That might be it, or you where to quick on the shutter and the SR never kicked in.
Just to make sure I tried again, making sure I could see the SR active confirmation in the viewfinder before I fully pressed the release button.

Many times the same thing happened: The usual sensor whirring sound, but no movement.

Twice I managed to evoke a different behaviour: The sound had a lot more low frequency content and the sensor seemed to move about much more vigorously. The camera sounded more like a razor now. But still no movement by the camera whatsoever.

I think these two occurrences relate to what you have described but
  1. my camera didn't move at all (600mm setting) although it was unstable as it gets, ready to tip over the edge of the table, its bottom only partially suspended by the table.
  2. I believe these were exceptional cases of a sensor running wild. I've never heard a sound like that before. But then I haven't shot above 270mm yet and keep the camera safe in my hands or on a tripod.
I'd be surprised to hear that kind of sound, or see your "vibrating mobile phone" behaviour when the camera is half reasonably supported. So I still think in practice this is a non-problem.

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Someone on here did a test of SR by removing the lens and setting the camera for a long exposure. The SR started moving, then more, then it got to a point where it couldn't keep up with the movements and stopped.
I certainly observed the sensor stopping a couple of times myself.
01-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
LaRee:
QuoteQuote:
Wow too deep for me guys. I thought photographers were artists not mathematicians.

I shoot my macros hand held because I'm normally chasing bugs with a macro lens. If I am shooting flowers and use a tripod, then SR is off because I use the mirror lock up feature which automatically turns SR off. I figure if I have the luxury of shooting a stationary macro subject, I might as well use all the advantages I can and mirror lock-up makes a BIG difference when shooting macros on a tripod.
I basically do the same thing for Macro work. However, I did not know using the "mirror lockup" feature automatically shut down SR. Page 128 of the K20 manual confirms this--THANK YOU!
03-05-2009, 03:26 PM   #29
Pentaxian

ChrisA reported his findings regarding SR induced blur on a tripod at the Pentax UK forum. His conclusion: SR does not change things for worse or better on a tripod.
03-09-2009, 08:13 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Seriously? It doesn't work by isolating the sensor from small movements using something based on gyroscopy, whether physical, laser or electronic? I don't understand how predicting which way your hand will tremble next could possibly work, except by accident.