Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I've been thinking of making a guide for manual lens usage.

I would need help with shots of the menu screens of other cameras like the ist and K100D, for example. Oh and also finding the correct pages(s) in the respective manuals.

That way, someone can just paste the wiki/sticky link in a thread, and a mod can close the thread once they acknowledge their problem is solved.
See:

K100D (Super) Pictorial guide to using manual lenses [imgs]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

01-14-2009, 06:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Q: Zoom vs. Prime?

A: #@$&*^%)&* and your momma #@!)&^%$

Q: What is meant by crop factor, and is my 35mm lens really a 50mm lens?

A: #$*(%^$%#!)&%you stupid #!(&%^$@ twice!

01-14-2009, 07:30 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Keep in mind, any time you have between 300 and 800 people on one site, you will always have repeat questions. People by nature will do the quick thing and ask rather than search. I am one of them.

Get used to it. I ain't going away.
01-15-2009, 04:43 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magnum1 Quote
Keep in mind, any time you have between 300 and 800 people on one site, you will always have repeat questions. People by nature will do the quick thing and ask rather than search. I am one of them.

Get used to it. I ain't going away.
I don't think any of us are silly enough to think it will go away. But a decrease of some degree can be expected. We notice the people who ask, but the people who do a search and find the information they need go unnoticed.

At the very least we can have something to point them toward and save ourselves endless retyping of the exact same information over and over.

01-15-2009, 05:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I second "Zooms or primes?"

"I just got a new DSLR. What lenses should I buy?"

"Should I switch [from/to] [Canon/Nikon]?"

"Pentax sux. My pics are always blurry." ...said by the guy trying to take available light shots at night with the kit lens.
01-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #21

Q: Is it worthwhile to invest into Pentax gear? Isn't Pentax going out of business?
A: Buy all the zooms you want, but please don't bid on Ltd primes on ebay. Not worth it
01-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Or the statement, "I'm going over to Cannon just after I get done raising all the hell I can dump on Pentax" or to that effect.
jim

01-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
you can add to that

will this flash work - and how to measure trigger voltage

I just got a K mount lens and the shutter wont trip.

Just try it on the camera. If the camera starts to smoke the voltage was too high
Or: it's easy, put your tounge on the flash contacts and test-fire the flash. If you can still feel your tounge afterwards the voltage is probably safe

Sorry, was this a serious thread?
01-15-2009, 05:52 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jmc7104 Quote
Or the statement, "I'm going over to Cannon just after I get done raising all the hell I can dump on Pentax" or to that effect.
jim
I've noticed that if I write the f-word it is sensored into "****" .

What about asking Adam if he can adapt that function on some other words so that next time we only have to read: "I'm going over to ****** just after I get done..."

I guess that should effectively get rid of all posts on how much better *****, ****** or **** are.
01-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #25
Veteran Member

For someone new to photography, and new to a DSLR, and new to Pentax, finding information on your own can be very difficult.

Without SOME background knowledge, how do you search for a solution to the problem you have?

Someone who does not know what an aperture ring is, has very little chance of finding out how to use an SMC-M 50/f2 on their brand new K100D. They may not even know what the question is that they need to ask. For all they know, the lens will not work.

So we will see the same question over and over. I'm sure the poster knows they are not the first to ask the question, but maybe they are not that savey with the search function, or the results of the search do not look apropriate to the newbie.

A newbie that has that M lens, might not realise a post "How to use a lens without an A setting on the aperture ring" is the post they need to read.

I think a common questions thread is a great idea. I also think it should be part of the Pentax Knowledge catagory. And new members should get a link in their e-mail.

As for the whole "crop factor" thing...

I think we all agree that it is a poor name for the effect of a 135 format lens on an aps-c sensor. But, it is the common wording used. Here is my contribution:

Crop factor or sensor size field of view effects:

1. Only the field of view is changed, and it is reduced. A comparable field of view is calculated by multiplying the "crop factor" by the lens focal length. For aps-c this id 1.5

2. A reduced field of view changes the 1/focal length rule for shutter speed. The reduced field of view, increases the impact of camera shake, and thus the new rule is 1/focal lenght*crop factor

3. Depth of field for a given f-stop is unchanged. But because your field of view is reduced, you will use the lens at a greater distance from the subject to get similar framing, and the resulting depth of field is greater because of camera to subject distance.

4. Perspective is a function of distance to subject, and is not a funtion of focal length. Closer to the subject gives an expanded perspective, further from the subject gives a compressed perspective. Because the field of view is reduced, a given lens on aps-c will be used further from the subject then the same lens on 135 format.

I'm sure I've repeated something previously posted, or I have something wrong, or missed. I expect this will be pointed out.

Wheatfield, good luck on your project.
01-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PEF or DNG

Here's another one for you, PEF or DNG

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-pentax-photography/47086-pef-dng.html#post453843
01-17-2009, 03:16 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Yea, or just "RAW or JPEG"?
01-17-2009, 04:42 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Filters...should I use them?...Which brand?...Should I get this expensive one or this cheaper one?...and so on and so forth.
01-17-2009, 07:23 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe we could make a FAQ file here at the forum?
I accidentally found such a file a while ago for Olympus that was really impressive.
Perhaps it already exist for Pentax?
01-17-2009, 09:03 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Maybe we could make a FAQ file here at the forum?
I accidentally found such a file a while ago for Olympus that was really impressive.
Perhaps it already exist for Pentax?

I agree,, most sites have a FAQ section.

Why do they say a lens isn't the same MM as listed on the lens when it's on a Digital Camera?