Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2009, 06:10 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

The Deja Vu Threads

One of the moderators (thanks Gary) has offered to let me prove myself as other than a troll by writing a sticky for all those questions that keep popping up.
Being a lazy fart, I appeal to you, my fellow Pentaxians for help.

So, let me start the topic series, and anyone that wants to add to it, please do, and I'll start collating a post.

1) Question: Do I set my shake reduction for the focal length or the focal length x the crop factor?
Answer: The actual focal length.

Any others?

And, I of course, posted this to the wrong section.....

01-13-2009, 06:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Moved...
01-13-2009, 06:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Questions about split-prism focus screens, M42 adapters, and dust removal are never-ending. As well as "I got a ________ lens from my _________. Can I use it on a new camera?"
01-13-2009, 07:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I guess we could create a sort of chart/table with all the Pentax lens types and what fit what with what limitations.

There is a page created by forum member about flash compatibilities so we could also link to that.

What about a Wiki system with all the info? All forum members could participate. I know that in reality nobody will read that and it will definitely not stop all the repeating questions. It is just an idea.

01-13-2009, 08:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
One of the moderators (thanks Gary) has offered to let me prove myself as other than a troll by writing a sticky for all those questions that keep popping up.
Being a lazy fart, I appeal to you, my fellow Pentaxians for help.

So, let me start the topic series, and anyone that wants to add to it, please do, and I'll start collating a post.

1) Question: Do I set my shake reduction for the focal length or the focal length x the crop factor?

Any others?

And, I of course, posted this to the wrong section.....
You a troll.

Naaaa.

How about the" Will my older lenses(m42) work on my K10D, K100 etc etc.

Answer yes, with ~some~ loss of functions.

Get the real Pentax adaptor as well.:-)

Dave
01-13-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
Ed in GA

You can "sticky" it as much as you want.

People will still ask the same questions.

A few will answer with "RTFM" or "Read the sticky thread".

Most will simply indulge the person asking the question and politely respond.
01-13-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you can add to that

will this flash work - and how to measure trigger voltage

I just got a K mount lens and the shutter wont trip.

01-13-2009, 08:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Here are the two I always see:

Number 1 is "Help! I put a manual lens on my camera and now all I see is the flashing 'A--'".

Answer - In the custom function, set it to "enable aperture ring" (someone please correct with the exact steps).

Number 2 (and quickly moving up the charts) is "Help! I just bought this new camera and the dust mapping function looks like this (posting picture of black scribbles on white paper)!"

Answer - Make sure you point the camera to a totally blank wall or sky before using the dust mapping function.
01-13-2009, 09:01 AM   #9
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Here are the two I always see:

Number 1 is "Help! I put a manual lens on my camera and now all I see is the flashing 'A--'".

Answer - In the custom function, set it to "enable aperture ring" (someone please correct with the exact steps).

Number 2 (and quickly moving up the charts) is "Help! I just bought this new camera and the dust mapping function looks like this (posting picture of black scribbles on white paper)!"

Answer - Make sure you point the camera to a totally blank wall or sky before using the dust mapping function.
Hey Russ,

did you get my not and is all satisfactory with you?

Ed
01-13-2009, 09:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

That was the first one that occurred to me, too. Right on its heels was:

Question: I hear something rattling inside my new camera! Is it broken?

Answer: No, that's the shake reduction system, which allows the sensor to float around freely when not being held in place during the picture taking.

Then there are all the can-of-worms questions (why does my camera underexpose? is my lens front focusing?) but those would be hard to answer objectively in an FAQ. Maybe some info and pointers to other discussions?
01-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
Hey Russ,

did you get my not and is all satisfactory with you?

Ed
check for a message from me
01-13-2009, 02:59 PM   #12
Damn Brit

Wheatfield, I never considered you a troll, a bit of an ogre maybe but never a troll.

How's this;

Q: How do I ...(Insert your question that's been asked a thousand times already)

A: Ask Wheatfield.
01-14-2009, 10:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How come my photo was rejected on Pentax Photo Gallery (PPG) so fast? or any other question about what it takes to get into the PPG...

In a real old thread...

QuoteOriginally posted by craftsmansky Quote
today i got a reply from pentax on process and why two of my photos have been in the "ready for review" status for so long...

"You are correct that this has been a longer wait time than usual.
Pentax office close from Christmas eve through the new year so this is
our first day back. Images that are declined quickly are in the bottom
38% approval rating after 40 votes. Those with greater that 38%
approval get passed on to the Pentax review team."

so, i am assuming i passed the 38% test and am waiting for the REAL test...

time will tell.
This means it takes 25 NO votes out of a possible 40 total votes gets a photo rejected. Of course if the first 25 votes are NO then the photo will be rejected at that point. If the first 24 are NO and the next 15 are YES and the 40th vote is NO it still gets rejected. You can, however, think of it another way, if the photo gets 16 quick YES votes during the peer review it goes straight up to the official Pentax judges. Once it gets there they have their way with it. They've been pretty mum on their criteria and have also been rather "uneven" in their judging but what are ya gonna do... This factor goes a long way toward explaining "quick rejections."

Another think to watch for is "attention to the rules".

IMHO the main reason that some photos are rejected is that they are submitted at less than 600 pixels tall. Photos MUST be at least 600 pixels tall.... If they are less than that they are rejected in very short order. Anything over 600 is resized down to 600 anyway but I often think that ones that are exactly 600 pixels tall run into a bug and get rejected on size so I size mine at 603 pixels tall just to make sure.

Also, they say it up front not to submit overly wide photos but we keep seeing panoramic formatted images. Even if these get thru the "public vote" I believe the Pentax judges wack them off pretty quickly.

Of course the most likely reason that a photo is rejected is because it is CRAP. People need to limit their submissions to their best best work. And it doesnt help to submit 30 photos of the same butterfly. This just makes the whole process take longer for everyone.

Last edited by MRRiley; 01-14-2009 at 10:56 AM.
01-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

How about
Q: "I found this old Voigtlander Macro Apo-Lanthar 125mm F2.5 SL lens in my gramps' closet, but I read it's radioactive. Is it true?"
A: "Yes, but forum member slomojoe offers a convenient, free disposal service. Please PM him for details."
01-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I've been thinking of making a guide for manual lens usage.

I would need help with shots of the menu screens of other cameras like the ist and K100D, for example. Oh and also finding the correct pages(s) in the respective manuals.

That way, someone can just paste the wiki/sticky link in a thread, and a mod can close the thread once they acknowledge their problem is solved.