Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #1

Lenses and paintball

As I have recently started taking photos at my local paintball fields, and have received some good feedback from the field owners;

So in future events/tournaments, I will be given a pass to go into the field to take close up shots from ground level rather than off a higher platforms...

The problem is, paintballs and lenses do not mix well...I dont think the glasses will stand a chance at a ball flyin at 300feet/sec

So, does anyone have any experience to how to protect their lenses in situation like this, and how to avoid it (eg, dont get shot!)

Are there any form of lenses protections available? filter lens wont stand a chance...

What about DIY with perspexs? will it mess up the clarity of the shots?

thanks

01-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Buy a cheap P&S and some paint thinner.
01-14-2009, 07:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
haha... thats the cheap way out!

I like to make things more complicated than it needs to...

but really though.... I like to be able to take some good close up shots using my 300mm....
01-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
try do the same thing professional film crews do in equipment-damaging situations... they have a piece of (what i presume to be) plexi glass effectively dangling in front of the lens with some sort of rod attachment... i think it should work in this situation? unless you're unlucky enough to get hit from the side....

01-14-2009, 08:05 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
try do the same thing professional film crews do in equipment-damaging situations... they have a piece of (what i presume to be) plexi glass effectively dangling in front of the lens with some sort of rod attachment... i think it should work in this situation? unless you're unlucky enough to get hit from the side....
That's why we have lens hoods. Polycarbonate (Lexan, etc) sounds like a good idea, provided you take adequate measures to reduce glare off of it (ie clever tilting, etc) though this may be at the expense of contrast which adds a little pp time.
01-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Borrow a friend's camera to shoot with.
01-14-2009, 08:10 PM   #7

Original Poster
But he has a NIKON.....

01-14-2009, 08:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

underwater housing!

Do the combatants know you're going to be out there? Maybe if they get told not to shoot the 'tog (wear high vis' jacket) you might be safe!
01-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
underwater housing!

Do the combatants know you're going to be out there? Maybe if they get told not to shoot the 'tog (wear high vis' jacket) you might be safe!
heh... i'd shoot the photographer just for fun....

(nah... not really....... maybe)
01-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #10

Yeah, you really can't trust those 'ballers. Just for good measure, keep in mind not to wear a target.
01-14-2009, 09:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Get them to agree to shoot you only below the belt.
01-14-2009, 09:06 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Right in the camera. I think this may be a good time to use a lens filter.

Edit: All sides will be going for the photographer.
01-14-2009, 09:36 PM   #13

Original Poster
haha...

Well, games in the bush will be easy to cover as I will wear a bright vest that would show me as a "Do not shoot" target.. plus I will bring my own marker to paint the guy back for shooting me

But for speedball game where its in an area the size of 2 tennis court, and the game is fast and furious with me taking photos from the side line, there will be time that shots may be "accidental"; and that is what Im trying to avoid for my lens....
01-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #14

Doubling up on a UV filter should be sufficient protection from a direct impact, in addition to using a hood. From a reasonable distance the paintball may shatter a single filter (I have seen a shattered filter with the front element still intact and unharmed, so doubling up may give you 'extra insurance'). However, many tournaments do not allow photographers to film from anywhere aside from the side lines.

However, with the spray, I would suggest that you set aside several hours for cleaning your camera as any sort of ribbed rubber surface will just be an absolute hassle to clean. Weathersealing may also be good insurance against the paint seeping through any body cracks, since that stuff is oil and gelatin based and is not good for any plastics or electronics if you aren't able to clean it off within a reasonable amount of time.

Lastly - keep your mask on and have fun shooting (in a different way)!
01-14-2009, 09:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

why?

I guess the question begs to he asked...why do you need to photograph this in the line of fire of actual combat? Cant you just make some snaps from the same angles without having the risk of getting shot or run the risk of having your lens ruined? From experience, I know that you MUST wear a full face mask to enter the playing area...how will you compose a decent shot with a mask on during actual combat?

Why not just stage a few shots of the actual on field playing and go from there?

Jason