Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You ever buy something and regret it shortly after?

Well I have this product shoot coming up next week for a jewelry maker and I got some great advice from you all on here as I always do. (I love you guys - fighting back the tears) Someone posted a link on making a softbox on your own, so I went ahead and made that softbox out of PVC and a white bedsheet and took some shots and it was pretty workable.

Then someone else posted a link with tips on how to shoot all kinds of stuff using a softbox, positioning, lighting and all kinds of techniques and that was just the best thing I read all year (15 days into it, still early) SO I got to reading and looking and reading and looking... then I got to thinking. Next thing you know I talked myself into buying one of their table top studios that they took all of those great pictures from on their website... and shortly there after I started second guessing myself.. "Why did I buy that?" "Did I really need that?" "Did I get the right stuff?"

I ordered one kit, then I changed my mind and called them to get it changed over to another kit and the lady on the phone was awesome and understanding and totally took care of me. Then the kit came in today and i must say, when I opened up that box... all regrets went away.

I know, well I think I know that I have the skill to take the shots that I need and that will wow her, but now I feel even more confident that I have the equipment that I need to get the job done. Also, I think I will get a lot more confidence from the client when she walks into my studio (dining room table) and instead of seeing a few pieces of PVC MacGuyvered together with a bed sheet draped over it and a desk lamp clamped to a chair but actually seeing some 'prefessional' looking equipment. She may not only have confidecne in me to get the job done but confidence to leave her entire collection with me for a week to shoot.

I only got to unbox it all and setup most of it because I had to goto work (such a drag) but I will damn sure be playing with it tomorrow if not tonight and get some results in for you guys.

01-15-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Don't forget to include a shot of the set up itself. I know those kits can give some really awsome results (if used correctly). Good Luck with it.
Brian
01-15-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Most times purchased items are a lot more elegant and durable than DIY solutions. My softbox cost maybe $1 to make but it's not really portable or tough enough to travel.

Congrats!! Softboxes make taking pics of anything that will fit in them dead simple, and the pics look great
01-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to being...

...human. Buyer's remorse is a common affliction.

Everyone suffers from it at one time or another. Some more quietly that others.

Don't beat yourself up and move on... There's nothing wrong with being penny foolish. You made the best possible decision at the time.

Cheers...

01-15-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Buddah, if I may ask, which kit did you end up with?
01-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #6

my friend talked me into buying a psp last year, bought it I did, but I had a such a flood of buyers remorse that I returned it the same day.... i still dont know why I bought it in the first place :?
01-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rormeister Quote
Buddah, if I may ask, which kit did you end up with?
If you remember the Tabletop Studio link that was posted with all the tips on how to shoot what, well from them I originally bought the Jewelry kit, but then I changed it to the Bead kit because I wanted the extra backgrounds and the bottom lighter more than the 3rd light.

QuoteOriginally posted by aamir515 Quote
my friend talked me into buying a psp last year, bought it I did, but I had a such a flood of buyers remorse that I returned it the same day.... i still dont know why I bought it in the first place :?
D00D!!! Do a Google search for PANDORA and PSP. If that doesn't convince you to own a PSP then nothing will. Have fun...

01-16-2009, 08:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Well I have this product shoot coming up next week for a jewelry maker (snip)

I'm a bit confused, Buddha. Are we talking about a soft box (enclosure with reflective sides & back with diffusing material in front to spread and soften light from a source) commonly used with studio strobes or a light tent/shed (cube, dome or tent-shaped enclosure with diffusing material and supporting frame used soften light falling on a subject) commonly used with tabletop photography?

It appears you're talking about the latter, but I'm afraid to say much in case I've misunderstood. Regardless, it's probably safe to say I routinely use both (soft box for strobes and light tent for tabletop) in the studio and consider both worthwhile investments. Both produce nice light when used with reflective subjects like jewelry or glass.

stewart
01-16-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Never, not till it starts gathering dust LOL
01-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yea - my first wife
01-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #11
Forum Member

I made one using 2 of the instructions from the canon forum. It has soooo many examples of different set ups that you make yourself. My last and final was the one with the form core,it works great and easy to take down once finished.

Is it ok to post the link to the page of set ups?
01-16-2009, 06:52 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote

Yea - my first wife
What Wildman said, lol.
01-16-2009, 07:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
What Wildman said, lol.

You bought wildman's first wife?

stewart
01-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

is there like an exchange wife program?
01-16-2009, 08:41 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I get second thoughts when the missus finds out.