Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #46

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lamgray Quote
I would take exception to this. . .I do concert photography. . I get 30 seconds to three songs to get my shots for freelance work that I do. . .While there are many in the take as many photos in the limited time to get the action (which you can render lucky). . I have most success, setting myself up correctly, anticipating a moment and grabbing it, in focus with the right lighting. . .I've gotten much better at it, and am down to about 30 shots (50 max) per show. . .

Though, take as many photos as you can, fiddle with the settings, learn what works and doesn't. . you'll find a few years in. . you start to become your own lightmeter and know what settings to apply prior to the shot. . .its strange. But, to speed the learning curve, I suggest taking notes for each shot, just like they used to in film. This is what sped up the process for me (well, and not to mention my old film camera light meter broke on me after a year into taking photography classes, so it forced me to learn).
Have to agree with you here, when first started out in gig photography I used to spray & pray, from 500 pics I got 5 that I was happy with

After time & with practice I can usually nail the 5 to shots I need within the first minute, the rest of the time I experiment with different composition & maybe even some times change my lens

I have seen so many photographers in the pit recognise a well published photographer & suddenly they start following & doing what they do, wheres the originality in that???

02-01-2009, 04:26 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cabstar Quote

I have seen so many photographers in the pit recognise a well published photographer & suddenly they start following & doing what they do, wheres the originality in that???
It's that way in most genres. Personally, I have no problem with a person trying to emulate the work of someone they admire.
It's part of the learning process.
02-04-2009, 03:52 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With absolutely no disrespect to anyone I find the concept of taking between 600-4000 images for an event such as a wedding etc sheer insanity

Surely when doing an event like this the person taking the photos should be at such a level of expertise that no more than a hundred would be enough for an average wedding??

During the 80's I did many weddings (film) and the average bundle bought was for 72 pics plus album - with enlargements extra.

I never went to a wedding with more than 3 rolls of 36 (35mm) and enjoyed good success for many years without hiccup.

Fortunately this has carried over to my digital shooting (only amateur now) and never have to shoot a thousand pics just to get 10 keepers.

If I did I would be spending a lifetime in front of a pc just going through images and choosing.