Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Auto-Bracketing with Remote on K10D?

Hi all,

I'm making attempts at creating HDR images (I won't call them "photographs", but that's for another discussion entirely lol...) and I can't seem to get my remote to work with the Auto-Bracket feature on the K10D.

As far as I can tell, when I set up an Auto-Bracket shot, say or 5 frames, I have to hold down the shutter button manually as the camera fires off all 5 of them, and then release it.

I tried to set up an Auto-Bracket shot for 5 frames, and turned on the Remote function in the Fn menu, but when I held down the remote's button (I have a Pentax Remote "F"), the camera took one frame and then quit...

Anyone know if there is a work-around for this? Do I need a corded-cable release?

Any help is most appreciated! I'm doing all that I can to try and make sure the camera stays stable through all 5 frames, and so far the Tripod without Shake Reduction is doing a pretty good job of it, but I know it'd be better if I could use my remote...

Thanks for your help!

-Tim

01-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
Hi all,

I'm making attempts at creating HDR images (I won't call them "photographs", but that's for another discussion entirely lol...) and I can't seem to get my remote to work with the Auto-Bracket feature on the K10D.

As far as I can tell, when I set up an Auto-Bracket shot, say or 5 frames, I have to hold down the shutter button manually as the camera fires off all 5 of them, and then release it.

I tried to set up an Auto-Bracket shot for 5 frames, and turned on the Remote function in the Fn menu, but when I held down the remote's button (I have a Pentax Remote "F"), the camera took one frame and then quit...

Anyone know if there is a work-around for this? Do I need a corded-cable release?

Any help is most appreciated! I'm doing all that I can to try and make sure the camera stays stable through all 5 frames, and so far the Tripod without Shake Reduction is doing a pretty good job of it, but I know it'd be better if I could use my remote...

Thanks for your help!

-Tim
Try pushing the release on the remote 5 times rather than holding it down. There is a rather short (5 sec?) timeout between shots.
01-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

On the K10D you need to push it 5 times.

On the K20D one push will do (if permitted in a custom function).
01-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Pentax remote also doesn't support "bulb" mode. It's one press, one shutter click. You need a remote that does support "bulb" mode....some of the fleabay wireless ones do...

01-20-2009, 11:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys- I'll try it again tomorrow morning with the Sunrise!
01-21-2009, 10:04 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Remote F DOES support Bulb mode.

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
The Pentax remote also doesn't support "bulb" mode. It's one press, one shutter click. You need a remote that does support "bulb" mode....some of the fleabay wireless ones do...
Pentax Remote F + k10d + [Fn] [Remote] + B. Shutter stays open as long as I have the button pressed on the remote. Please do not dispense false information on the lists. Turn your camera on and test it first.
01-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Pentax Remote F + k10d + [Fn] [Remote] + B. Shutter stays open as long as I have the button pressed on the remote. Please do not dispense false information on the lists. Turn your camera on and test it first.
Thanks. I didn't know that. I never had a Remote F and have never seen anyone say this was possible...only w/ the wired release....

01-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh wow!

I did not know that either!! I was thinking I'd have to get a wired release to do starry-night type stuff- now I will have to try that out!
01-21-2009, 10:16 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
Oh wow!

I did not know that either!! I was thinking I'd have to get a wired release to do starry-night type stuff- now I will have to try that out!
It is a pain to hold the silly recessed button down. It would be much easier with a wired remote that could be locked for anything over a few seconds. It does work in a pinch, though. I've got to rewire one of my other Pentax wired remotes, or spring for one to go with the kit.
01-22-2009, 12:31 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I also have the K10D and have been doing a bit of Auto bracketing of late and mainly just holding the shutter release to get the five exposures..Still trying to figure whether the five or three would be more beter as with five i find most the shots not so sharp even with a good steady tripod though most have been taken during windy weather ..
With the remote its one shot per press of the remote button and like you say "A pain in the butt".
If subjects are static subjects (no movement) it doesnt matter so much especially for HDR.
Its where there's movement in the scene and then a single shot surfices better and manually under/over expose via your Raw converter, levels or whatever ..
01-22-2009, 07:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Papou,

I find that with my practice, I can "fake" a decent HDR/tone mapped image almost perfectly and similar to bracketing. Just taker the RAW image and manipulate the exposure levels in Lightroom, save and then merge the examples in my HDR program.

Getting back to the question that has already been answered, yes,.....click for each shutter with the remote....3 or 5 times separately.

Jason