Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2009, 09:06 PM   #1

help

does anyone know how to setting IR R72 with K10D?

01-25-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Welcome, you can't set the K10D to IR. You can either have the camera converted or you can get an IR lens filter.
01-26-2009, 01:08 AM   #3
Banned

as far as I know using a simple IR filter like the Hoya R72 will do you almost no good as the sensor (like all sensors) has a IR blocking filter on it. you would have to do very long exposures to get any type of decent results. to get proper IR results the sensor has to be modified to allow IR to pass through. this is not cheap or easy and really requires the purchasing of a dedicated body to do this as you cannot revert back. then you must purchase an IR filter such as the above mentioned Hoya R72 for the best results. whether film or digital, IR is an undertaking for sure. there just isnt an easy (or cheap) way to get IR.

Im sure others with more knowledge and expeience will chime in, but here is a good site fot reading up on IR phtography. it also has a list of links at the bottom that will llikely be very helpful. wrotniak.net: Infrared Photography with a Digital Camera
01-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I use an IR filter on my unmodified DS with excellent results. On a bright day the shutter speeds are not that long.

02-24-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Look around on eBay and you can find IR-modified PNS cams for US$300-500 - I have a Minolta D300 (5 mpx) that cost about $300. Sony 'NightShot' PNS cams, like my DSC-V1 (also 5 mpx), allow the IR-blocking "hot filter" to swing away; I got a set of Hoya/M&K IR filters (78, 90, 93, 1000 - cost under US$200) that work well with it. Using an IR filter on an unmodified cam requires longish-to-interminable exposures. You can have a SLR modified for US$500+ to allow handheld IR work, but you'll need another hot-filter to ever work in visible lightl. Or you can get a Sigma or Fuji 'forensic' SLR that will let you pick almost any UV-visible-IR bandwith window for imagery - but expect to pay several grand for the pleasure. You get to decide just how much digital IR is worth to you, eh?