Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do Web Blogs Count as being published?

Hey guys,

I guess this counts as getting something "published," not real sure but I've got a photo on a video game blog on IGN, one of the larger gaming media networks. It's just a photo of my boss around the office. My boss knew I was into photography etc and had seem some of my photos from work-related events, so knew I was at least capable in some ways. He came into work one day and asked if I had my camera with me because he needed a picture for an article that was going up on IGN. He didn't really give me a warning, so all I had with me was an OK zoom I had just gotten to play around with some (SMC Pentax-F 28-80/3.5-4.5) and luckily an AF280T flash. We did a few around the office, but he liked this one one the best. Unfortunately, they must have compressed the hell out of the photo, because it sucks on the blog.

Here's a link to the blog, and read about out latest game coming out in a couple months for PS3/X360, Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard! I am the physics programmer btw.

Matt Hazard - The Vicious Engine 2 --- It's What Fuels Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard

This is what the original looked like (pretty sure the color balance is screwed up, but it is annoying b/c I am partially colorblind and had nothing white in the shot to correctly balance...as I said, this was impromptu!):

I, personally, thought this one was cool:

01-26-2009, 09:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No

IMO No, not much different from "vanity publishing" where wannabe authors pay a company to print their "masterpiece". It's not been published until somebody goes out of their way to buy it. YMMV
01-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yea, makes sense. I don't really care one way or the other. Mainly just wanted to share
01-26-2009, 09:58 AM   #4

There are different types of "publishing" but the bottom line is if the general public or a specific group of people have acess to it, via a communication medium, then it has been published ......although I am not sure of its value on a resume

Cheers
Keith

01-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Keith Quote
There are different types of "publishing" but the bottom line is if the general public or a specific group of people have acess to it, via a communication medium, then it has been published ......although I am not sure of its value on a resume

Cheers
Keith
Wasn't really looking at it that way, for a resume or anything. Certainly not trying to brag about it. Should have titled it slightly differently..."Impromptu photo shoot for a web blog!"

I like my current day job too much right now anyway
01-26-2009, 10:05 AM   #6

It doesn't matter if its a large or small photo. It's published and it's something to be proud of
01-26-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photos not showing to me.

01-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cindy s Quote
It doesn't matter if its a large or small photo. It's published and it's something to be proud of
Agreed. Congratulations. This is how it starts. People hear or see you doing this so they ask you to do it for them.

The next steps are legion, but WTG. Keep up the good work!

Photos not showing for me either. i have this issue with FLICKR shots here as well. it seems like it is working because the content is downloaded to your side, but we don't have the images cached so it's not working.

I'd ask Adam. I don' think there is a good answer as I recall.

Seaain
01-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Keith Quote

Cheers
Keith
By that standard, every photo ever posted on the internet has been "published" and to some extent that is true. However I wouldn't consider it "published" in the traditional sense.

Btw, I can't see the photos either... but to answer the original question (IMHO)...

Since the photo was solicited (essentially "commissioned") and then posted on a trade/industry blog, then essentially it is comparable to being published in a trade/industry journal. So yes, I would say you've been published arpaagent.

Mike