Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2009, 06:20 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Metz 58 flash has a small flash in body, which can be used separately to give a small straight flash together with bounce flash from swivel head. It is rather nice feature.

01-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
IMO a better option is using the on board flash dialed down for fill flash and a slave-capable flash off board for bouncing.
Yes, that is what I was talking about in post #8.
01-29-2009, 08:44 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kurt Quote
The Metz 58 flash has a small flash in body, which can be used separately to give a small straight flash together with bounce flash from swivel head. It is rather nice feature.
That is an interesting feature, and looks like it would solve the portrait catchlight issue. I actually didn't consider the Metz before I bought the 540FGZ.
01-29-2009, 08:50 AM   #19

I really like the contrast in the second one..I think that one is the best..just MHO

01-29-2009, 09:39 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Sto-fen Omni-Bounce works well for on-camera flash.
STO-FEN Information (How It Works!)
01-29-2009, 10:10 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The Sto-fen Omni-Bounce works well for on-camera flash.
STO-FEN Information (How It Works!)
Dan,
I have the omnibounce, but I don't like using it anymore. Especially if I can use the catchlight card with bounce. That way I am not losing any flash power if I am in a room with tall ceilings. It is almost sort of like a catchlight in 4 directions. I think I would like it better if I cut the top out, and left the sides in place. That way there is no dissipation of the bounce light.
01-29-2009, 12:12 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
IMO a better option is using the on board flash dialed down for fill flash and a slave-capable flash off board for bouncing.
That's great if you can set up that way, but if not, use the tilt and swivel capabilities of the 540 to advantage.

02-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
That's great if you can set up that way, but if not, use the tilt and swivel capabilities of the 540 to advantage.
That's what I've done. It's so difficult to be moving around 2 strobes while taking a wedding. I prefer to be mobile.

I bounce my AF540FGZ like no tomorrow. With excellent results too, I might add.
02-04-2009, 02:22 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I found it a bit daunting at first using my Sigma flash ... but once you get used to bounce/swivel flash use with adjacent walls/corners in a room ... it really does make a hell of a difference. I enjoy using the flash now.
02-05-2009, 01:31 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by laissezfaire Quote
My issue is... for portraits, I find the shadow under chin to be a bit annoying when bouncing off the ceiling. Any suggestions?
When using a single flash bounced off the ceiling for portraits, I use either the corner techniques several others have mentioned, or, if a corner isn't handy, I bring out a reflector or white cloth that I lay on the floor slightly in front of my subject to bounce a little soft light back up under the chin.
02-05-2009, 01:58 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
When using a single flash bounced off the ceiling for portraits, I use either the corner techniques several others have mentioned, or, if a corner isn't handy, I bring out a reflector or white cloth that I lay on the floor slightly in front of my subject to bounce a little soft light back up under the chin.
That is an interesting idea. So do you then bounce off the ceiling, which bounces to the floor where the white cloth is, and then up to the subject?
02-05-2009, 09:40 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Lots of great info here on flash photography! I've never personally used the corner technique but am now compelled to try it.

I do have a short write-up on my site about bounce photography if anyone is interested: Stuff your face! | I Need Photo Help!
02-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link Chris. BTW the link to the on-camera lighting course seems to be broken.
02-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Lots of great info here on flash photography! I've never personally used the corner technique but am now compelled to try it.

I do have a short write-up on my site about bounce photography if anyone is interested: Stuff your face! | I Need Photo Help!
Very nice article with photo examples Chris. I only have one small request: Would you mind changing the flash head picture from the one you have there, to this one? That company doesn't need any more advertising.

Also, the article states that you are going to post a tutorial on manual flash. Have you completed that yet?
Attached Images

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 02-05-2009 at 11:26 AM.
02-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
Thanks for the link Chris. BTW the link to the on-camera lighting course seems to be broken.
I figured it out. You link still points to your old website. The new link should read as:

http://ineedphotohelp.com/Files/OnCameraLighting.pdf