Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2009, 02:51 PM   #1

Shooting on a cruise

Hi,
I've been asked if i would take pictures for some family friends who are renewing their vows on a cruise this coming Christmas.

I haven't been on a cruise before, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience and/or tips for shooting on a cruise ship.

Is there any similar environment that would be good to try practicing in?
I know its quite a ways off, but I figured if I started asking now I'd have time to practice, and if there was any lens that anyone really recommended I would have time to acquire one.

Since I've never been on a cruise I really have no idea what to expect, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Ryan

02-03-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

A cruise ship is a floating hotel (with a few more amenities), so whatever applies to one goes for the other. Just remember, if something goes wrong between you and your other half, you can't run away, and wherever you hide, somebody will find you.
02-03-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One point I would emphasize from Yves comments. It is a FLOATING hotel. You will experience at a minimum light oscillations. In rough seas, much more. Your shooting environment will consist of rooms of various sizes from cramped to auditorium sized, lighting of all intensities, and of course outdoor venues as well. Fast lenses and (fill)flash could be valuable for inside shots. You could try taking pictures inside of public transportation (buses, subways, trains, ferry boats, etc.) to get a feel for stabilizing yourself in a moving, swaying environment. Just make sure that the public transportation authority has no problem with picture taking.
02-03-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by total.boredom Quote
Hi,
I've been asked if i would take pictures for some family friends who are renewing their vows on a cruise this coming Christmas.

I haven't been on a cruise before, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience and/or tips for shooting on a cruise ship.

I know its quite a ways off, but I figured if I started asking now I'd have time to practice, and if there was any lens that anyone really recommended I would have time to acquire one.

Since I've never been on a cruise I really have no idea what to expect, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Ryan
Get the Voigtlander 58mm. Your Tokina would probably do fine as well. You'll need a good flash and a diffuser. You'll be able to get some great pics of the food with the Voigtlander. The colors are awesome. Don't bother with a long lens it would be a pain in the butt to haul around through narrow hallways with lots of people.

02-03-2009, 11:53 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FunkyMonk Quote
Get the Voigtlander 58mm. Your Tokina would probably do fine as well. You'll need a good flash and a diffuser. You'll be able to get some great pics of the food with the Voigtlander. The colors are awesome. Don't bother with a long lens it would be a pain in the butt to haul around through narrow hallways with lots of people.
you know anywhere that sells voigtlander lenses?
preferably near vancouver...

I do have a flash, is there any other equipment, or gear, or anything I should be looking into buying (Keep in mind I'm relatively new to photography, and don't have a whole lot of gear)

Thanks for the advice guys!
any other tips out there?
02-04-2009, 12:12 AM   #6
Forum Member

you know anywhere that sells voigtlander lenses?
preferably near vancouver...

I do have a flash, is there any other equipment, or gear, or anything I should be looking into buying (Keep in mind I'm relatively new to photography, and don't have a whole lot of gear)

Thanks for the advice guys!
any other tips out there?
I got mine from Adorama. Can you buy from Amazon? B&H Photo might ship international.

Last edited by FunkyMonk; 02-04-2009 at 12:24 AM.
02-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #7

Original Poster
I prefer to be able to test a lens before I buy it, but I will keep an eye out for voigtlanders in the area, Thanks!

02-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi, I work on ships and find my most used lenses are wide primes and my 16-50/2.8 zoom. Cruise ships are huge though and typically well lit. While on deck or in the larger rooms your 50mm and Tokina zoom will be more usable, but I'd still want a fast wide to mid-tele zoom handy. I highly recommend the DA*16-50 if you can afford it. Otherwise a cheaper option in the same range.

hth
02-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If this is an Alaskan cruise you might want to take along your longest lens as well. I used my 400 on the fantail of the Star Princess to take a rain blurred picture of a humpback whale breaching. It was pouring, the picture is crap, but it's MY WHALE PICTURE. You might have better weather.
02-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
BPT
Veteran Member

I am not going to be taking a cruise anytime soon but I am curious about vibrations. We have ferries around here and there is always a vibration from the engines you can feel in your feet. Would a cruise ship have this vibration and does it effect photo quality
02-04-2009, 11:22 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BPT Quote
I am not going to be taking a cruise anytime soon but I am curious about vibrations. We have ferries around here and there is always a vibration from the engines you can feel in your feet. Would a cruise ship have this vibration and does it effect photo quality
The cruise ship I took was much larger than a ferry, even the BC Ferries. Engine vibration was minimal. I suspect that the cruise ships have some vibration reduction built in - they are for luxury.
02-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #12

One issue I had when I went through the Panama Canal was that it was very hot and humid outside yet cold inside from the air-con - this would make my camera steam up regularly.

You don't mention where it is you're cruising?
02-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Hi,

Cheers,
Ryan
I guess just about everything has been covered by others, but to add my 2¢ worth, I would advice on getting a wider angled lens or zoom, perhaps a 16-45 or even a kit lens (18/55). Your Tokina is a fine lens, but at 28 mm, may not be wide enough for some areas inside the boat. Remember, the cruise is indeed a floating hotel, but comparable spaces are smaller, so you'll need wide angle coverage some times.

Also remember that ceilings are low and may work as great bounce surfaces for flash pictures, so make sure your flash can bounce and swivel.

About motion.. yes there might be some if weather/sea is a bit rough, but not as violent as a bus or train. I wouldn't bother about motion at this moment, but as other said here, be aware of temperature changes for moisture condensation.
02-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #14
BPT
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The cruise ship I took was much larger than a ferry, even the BC Ferries. Engine vibration was minimal. I suspect that the cruise ships have some vibration reduction built in - they are for luxury.
The ferries I have around me are small in comparison the the big BC ferries. Though they are the longest free ferry ride in either North America or the World.

Thanks for your answer, I always wondered about that. I was tihnking the vibrations might add a slight blur
02-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

What a wonderful opportunity, Ryan. Not this past winter, but the one before, the wife and I went on a four-day New Years Caribbean cruise from Tampa to Key West to Cozumel and back to Tampa. One of the highlights of that cruise was that Jimmy Carter and Rosaline were on board. Saw him every morning in the gymnasium. Spry ol' fellow. Put some of us youngsters to shame. Rosaline is a pixie of a lady. Tiny thing.

Which brings up a good point...you'll eat...and eat...and then eat some more. If you don't hit the gym every day in the morning and walk laps on the upper deck in the evenings...you WILL gain weight. Count on it!

The occasion of our cruise was the 50th wedding anniversary of the parents of my daughter's husband. We had a group of about 50 or 60 from all over the country. Don't spend money on an upgraded stateroom. You'll only go there to sleep shower, and change cloths. The rest of the time, you'll be wandering the ship, attending shows, participating in activities...and eating yet some more.

On your equipment...flash is good, but don't expect to use it all that often. Instead, bump up your iso and get some good noise reduction filtering software. You'll also need a wider angle lens. Even the kit lens is good, and inexpensive if you cannot afford something more expensive. You'll definitely need something wider than what you have. Most likely, you'll only need a telephoto on shore excursions. Your 50-200 is light and small enough that if I were you, I'd bring it anyway. If you go flashless on occasion, you'll also need something faster than your 50. Try to fit a 1.4 in your budget.

Bon voyage! We've cruised twice now and am looking forward to the next one. Oh, the New Year's cruise we took with Jimmy on board...I took twelve of the best shots and made a calendar as a Christmas present for this past holiday season. They loved it and I had to make another copy for the grandparents. Used the templates out of the Brit published "Digital Photo" monthly magazine available at Barnes & Nobel here in the states (about a month after it comes out in Great Britain). Their November issue has the templates, (maybe it was October, I'd have to check).