Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member
xs400's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,671
Wow, My class is 10% Pentax

I am taking a photography class at a local community college. Since I rarely see other Pentaxians, I was surprised to see 2 other Pentax shooters in the class. Besides my K20, there is a K110 and a K100D Super. The class has about 30 people in it, so that makes 10% Pentax dslr's. Most people in the class are using P&S cameras. There may even be more Pentax dslr's that Nikon dslr's in the class, so far I've only seen 2 Nikons.

02-05-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member
rfortson's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Houston TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,129
Obviously a high class operation!

Now you have two others you can share lenses with.
02-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 33,139
Schhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell everybody, they'll all want a Pentax, .
02-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member
PentaxPoke's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,411
Those are the 10% of the class that will obviously set the curve.

02-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member
roentarre's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 11,794
This is rather interesting in deed! Nikonians are a little too plentiful these days. Great to see some changes
02-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member
volosong's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Antelope Valley, SoCal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 663
Interesting! You'll enjoy the class. I took it at college back in 1976, and what I learned then still applies today. If you want...would love to have you post "updates" on how the class is going, what you're learning, maybe even upload sized-down versions of the images you submit for assignments.

Is the teacher going to restrict what modes you can shoot? Is s/he insisting on a constant ISO and manual mode? I've often wondered how they approach students using "modern" equipment.
02-06-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Posts: 162
In my current evening class, I'm the only Pentax shooter. Last studio session class, a lady saw my k20d (she had never heard of the brand), and said it looked like a beautiful camera lol. In my class you are expected to shoot manual and keep exif data intact.
02-06-2009, 06:02 PM   #8
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southeast MO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 367
In my class, there are only 4 of us: My Pentax, a Canon, a Nikon and a P&S.

02-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest, United States
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,340
What a great class! Always love it when Pentax and Olympus people show up. It really adds to the class!
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #15 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter # 16. Any brand camera. Enter now!

Last edited by barondla; 02-06-2009 at 09:10 PM.
02-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member
xs400's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,671
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
Interesting! You'll enjoy the class. I took it at college back in 1976, and what I learned then still applies today. If you want...would love to have you post "updates" on how the class is going, what you're learning, maybe even upload sized-down versions of the images you submit for assignments.

Is the teacher going to restrict what modes you can shoot? Is s/he insisting on a constant ISO and manual mode? I've often wondered how they approach students using "modern" equipment.
I will post updates, as well as my class assignments.

In addition to photography, we will be learning PS Lightroom. For those of us with dslr's, we have to shoot everything in RAW, and we cannot use Auto or P modes, he wants us to use Av, Tv, or M mode.

On Saturday, we have our first field trip, we are off to an old seaport and Liberty ship in Richmond, CA on San Francisco Bay.
02-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,255
QuoteOriginally posted by xs400 Quote
I am taking a photography class at a local community college. Since I rarely see other Pentaxians, I was surprised to see 2 other Pentax shooters in the class. Besides my K20, there is a K110 and a K100D Super. The class has about 30 people in it, so that makes 10% Pentax dslr's. Most people in the class are using P&S cameras. There may even be more Pentax dslr's that Nikon dslr's in the class, so far I've only seen 2 Nikons.
My guess is that many new Canikon users purchased DSLRS in 2008 because they could, not because they were interested in "photography." Their cameras are sitting somewhere collecting dust, or worse yet, being used to take pictures of mainly their kids. Blech.

Last edited by asdf; 02-06-2009 at 10:22 PM.
02-07-2009, 02:01 AM   #12
Forum Member
crispy0009's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, FLORIDA
Posts: 62
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Schhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell everybody, they'll all want a Pentax, .

HAHAHA that's awesome!
02-07-2009, 07:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member
kristoffon's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 532
QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Their cameras are sitting somewhere collecting dust, or worse yet, being used to take pictures of mainly their kids. Blech.
What's wrong with that?

After I got my K200D I want to puke when I look at pictures taken with compact cameras. Cell phone pictures make my eyes hurt.

Why should a person settle for less in the pictures s/he takes of his kids?
02-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member
volosong's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Antelope Valley, SoCal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 663
QuoteOriginally posted by xs400:
I will post updates, as well as my class assignments.
Most excellent, Frank. I'll be following your thread with interest. You're making me want to take the class again. When I took it, we spent a lot of time in the "darkroom" developing our film, making prints, and leaning how to matte and mount. Now, it's called "Lightroom"? How things have changed.

QuoteOriginally posted by xs400:
In addition to photography, we will be learning PS Lightroom. For those of us with dslr's, we have to shoot everything in RAW, and we cannot use Auto or P modes, he wants us to use Av, Tv, or M mode...
You're going to have to teach your teacher about the Sv mode. Good luck in the class.
02-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member
heliphoto's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Region 5
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,540
QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
...
Their cameras are sitting somewhere collecting dust, or worse yet, being used to take pictures of mainly their kids. Blech.
That's the primary purpose of my K20D + BG-2 + DA* 16-50 + DA*50-135 + ... Blech? I love taking pictures of my son . I'm also an landscape photographer with aspirations of going pro, but the #1 photon bouncer I use is my son - he's just so cute .

Edit: (to say something relevant to the thread) I'm jealous Frank... Nothing like an assignment to make you get out and take pictures.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, class, pentax, people, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-5... Wow wow wow wow wow!! Hugely impressive. 65535 Pentax K-5 85 11-08-2010 08:45 PM
Class 4 vs Class 6 (SDHC) ADHWJC Photographic Technique 3 09-25-2010 09:54 AM
Pentax Rangefinder Class Perhaps? Mattp9 Pentax News and Rumors 23 04-08-2010 01:05 PM
PENTAX 'L' class zooms?? quenched Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 01-23-2009 02:32 PM
Wow!!! Here Comes Pentax...... Snapshot12 Pentax News and Rumors 20 05-05-2008 12:46 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:08 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top