Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow, My class is 10% Pentax

I am taking a photography class at a local community college. Since I rarely see other Pentaxians, I was surprised to see 2 other Pentax shooters in the class. Besides my K20, there is a K110 and a K100D Super. The class has about 30 people in it, so that makes 10% Pentax dslr's. Most people in the class are using P&S cameras. There may even be more Pentax dslr's that Nikon dslr's in the class, so far I've only seen 2 Nikons.

02-05-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Obviously a high class operation!

Now you have two others you can share lenses with.
02-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Schhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell everybody, they'll all want a Pentax, .
02-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Those are the 10% of the class that will obviously set the curve.

02-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

This is rather interesting in deed! Nikonians are a little too plentiful these days. Great to see some changes
02-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Interesting! You'll enjoy the class. I took it at college back in 1976, and what I learned then still applies today. If you want...would love to have you post "updates" on how the class is going, what you're learning, maybe even upload sized-down versions of the images you submit for assignments.

Is the teacher going to restrict what modes you can shoot? Is s/he insisting on a constant ISO and manual mode? I've often wondered how they approach students using "modern" equipment.
02-06-2009, 04:20 PM   #7

In my current evening class, I'm the only Pentax shooter. Last studio session class, a lady saw my k20d (she had never heard of the brand), and said it looked like a beautiful camera lol. In my class you are expected to shoot manual and keep exif data intact.

02-06-2009, 06:02 PM   #8
Inactive Account

In my class, there are only 4 of us: My Pentax, a Canon, a Nikon and a P&S.
02-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a great class! Always love it when Pentax and Olympus people show up. It really adds to the class!
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #15 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter # 16. Any brand camera. Enter now!

Last edited by barondla; 02-06-2009 at 09:10 PM.
02-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
Interesting! You'll enjoy the class. I took it at college back in 1976, and what I learned then still applies today. If you want...would love to have you post "updates" on how the class is going, what you're learning, maybe even upload sized-down versions of the images you submit for assignments.

Is the teacher going to restrict what modes you can shoot? Is s/he insisting on a constant ISO and manual mode? I've often wondered how they approach students using "modern" equipment.
I will post updates, as well as my class assignments.

In addition to photography, we will be learning PS Lightroom. For those of us with dslr's, we have to shoot everything in RAW, and we cannot use Auto or P modes, he wants us to use Av, Tv, or M mode.

On Saturday, we have our first field trip, we are off to an old seaport and Liberty ship in Richmond, CA on San Francisco Bay.
02-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xs400 Quote
I am taking a photography class at a local community college. Since I rarely see other Pentaxians, I was surprised to see 2 other Pentax shooters in the class. Besides my K20, there is a K110 and a K100D Super. The class has about 30 people in it, so that makes 10% Pentax dslr's. Most people in the class are using P&S cameras. There may even be more Pentax dslr's that Nikon dslr's in the class, so far I've only seen 2 Nikons.
My guess is that many new Canikon users purchased DSLRS in 2008 because they could, not because they were interested in "photography." Their cameras are sitting somewhere collecting dust, or worse yet, being used to take pictures of mainly their kids. Blech.

Last edited by asdf; 02-06-2009 at 10:22 PM.
02-07-2009, 02:01 AM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Schhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell everybody, they'll all want a Pentax, .

HAHAHA that's awesome!
02-07-2009, 07:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Their cameras are sitting somewhere collecting dust, or worse yet, being used to take pictures of mainly their kids. Blech.
What's wrong with that?

After I got my K200D I want to puke when I look at pictures taken with compact cameras. Cell phone pictures make my eyes hurt.

Why should a person settle for less in the pictures s/he takes of his kids?
02-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xs400:
I will post updates, as well as my class assignments.
Most excellent, Frank. I'll be following your thread with interest. You're making me want to take the class again. When I took it, we spent a lot of time in the "darkroom" developing our film, making prints, and leaning how to matte and mount. Now, it's called "Lightroom"? How things have changed.

QuoteOriginally posted by xs400:
In addition to photography, we will be learning PS Lightroom. For those of us with dslr's, we have to shoot everything in RAW, and we cannot use Auto or P modes, he wants us to use Av, Tv, or M mode...
You're going to have to teach your teacher about the Sv mode. Good luck in the class.
02-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Their cameras are sitting somewhere collecting dust, or worse yet, being used to take pictures of mainly their kids. Blech.
That's the primary purpose of my K20D + BG-2 + DA* 16-50 + DA*50-135 + ... Blech? I love taking pictures of my son . I'm also an landscape photographer with aspirations of going pro, but the #1 photon bouncer I use is my son - he's just so cute .

Edit: (to say something relevant to the thread) I'm jealous Frank... Nothing like an assignment to make you get out and take pictures.