Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2009, 12:27 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've found the 70-300 not very fast at focusing, so I would go to manual focus. try to practice with you on a sidewalk and cars passing by... try to keep the car in focus as it approaches you while keeping the camera still enough to take a sharp image. once you've gotten good at it (probably takes 15-30 minutes of practice), this skill set will be the same as the eagle flying toward you. The closer the subject is to you the more difficult it is to keep the subject in focus, so if you can stand a bit behind, but to the side, of the handler, it could make this easier.

Exposure could be tricky though, so try to put the cam in manual and take some practice shots first before the eagle flies to determine what your exposure settings should be. Try to keep the aperture as high as possible while keeping shutter speeds high enough to reduce blur from motion (250 is probably where I'd start but flapping wings may require higher speeds) so you may have to raise your iso depending on the lighting.

Good luck; sounds like a challenging but potentially rewarding opportunity!

03-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Based on news items this past year; *do not enter the pens for a better angle* ;-)
03-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #18

"Trap in focus" or "Catch in focus" is only possible on manual lenses, so I wouldn't worry about that for now as the Tamron won't support this. You're really only left with doing the same thing again, however make sure the shutter speed is high to make sure it's not blur & try narrowing the aperture somewhat to maximuse your DOF which will give you more "keepers" if the focus is just off. Alternative trade that Tamron for the Sigma equivalent and enjoy HSM!
05-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kibipod Quote
1) ....

p.s. post some shots.

I just uploaded some pictures at
Zenfolio | NF | Wildlife

If possible, give me some feedback in what I could do better.

Thanks

Last edited by netuser; 05-03-2009 at 01:24 PM.