Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2009, 01:13 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Canon Rebel Xs at Circuit City

I went to circuit city today and checked out the DSLRs because they're 30% off now and a friend shoots Canon(her camera broke and I'm trying to convince her to get a new one), I picked up a Rebel Xs out of curiousity, and was surprised by how light and small it was. It felt like a toy compared to my K110, even if it took better pictures which I'm not sure it does(I don't know the specs, and havn't researched it), I would take my Pentax over it no questions asked. If I had bought the Canon and then later someone handed me a K110, with the metal casing instead of the plastic, and the solid feel, I would have immediatley regreted the Canon purchase.

I never actually comparison shopped, I just went with my gut when I got my Pentax, so it was nice to be reassured today that I made the right choice. I did like the feel of the Olympus they had there, not a big fan of the sonys. They did have an EOS 40D which was kinda B.A. and I think a D90 which was cool too, but both way out of my price range. I would really like to see a K20D in person, but nobody I know of carries them.

Basically, I love my Pentax.

02-07-2009, 01:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've mentioned this multiple times on this forum: The Canon that you speak of is called "Kiss" in Japan.
02-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Perfect timing.

There is another thread going about the advantages of plastics/composites, only one of which is light weight.
02-07-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Haha, I saw that too, I think my post my have caused it

The metal part, is less important than the overall feel of the camera. The more expensive Canon and Nikon weren't metal(as far as I could tell, or noticed), but felt great, same with the Olympus. It's also not an apples to apples comparison, the K110 is a discontinued model, which is why I got it so cheap. A better comparison would probably be the Xs vs. K2000, and I've never held a K2000.

02-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like small and light. I wish my K20D was smaller and lighter.
02-08-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

How much was it with the 30% markdown?
02-08-2009, 11:49 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
How much was it with the 30% markdown?
$499 and the 30% discount would put it at $350. They're running really low on stock though, I only saw a closed box for the Xsi, and the higher end Canons. They did have a few of the Olympuses...Olympie?, in stock for I think mid $300's.

!!!DISCLAIMER!!! That's based on my memory, and tonight I spent about a half hour looking for a check I never even got.

Last edited by jeenyus; 02-08-2009 at 11:56 PM.
02-09-2009, 02:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Here's a bit of a related sunshine story:

The company I work at needed to do some product shots and so were looking to invest in a DSLR -- my boss asked for recommendations at a camera store and the guy recommended the EOS1000D (Rebel Xs) but before he bought it, he asked me for opinions. I wrote him a long stupid diatribe on the relative merits of the K200D (which I truly believe is a much better choice in the price range) and so he ended up getting the Pentax instead. Now, he got an 18-200 and 50mm macro with it, but since the 18-55 II kit lens was only something like 20 bucks more than body-only he asked me if he should get that instead and if I wanted to buy the 18-55 II. Since I had the older version of the same lens I agreed -- but then when the lens arrived he decided he didn't even want payment for it.

So: I turned my boss away from Canon and onto Pentax and got a free kit lens upgrade as thanks. Sold my old 18-55 for 50 bucks or so, too. He's real happy with the K200D too. I use it to take product photos at work and the boss uses it privately for travel photography and such, and I think he's impressed with the quality. One of my main points was that low-end Canons are really plasticky, which the K200D is not... "Just hold a Pentax", indeed.
02-09-2009, 05:39 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteQuote:
"Just hold a Pentax", indeed.
I really wish Pentax would bring that back.