Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is your spouse or signicant other also a Pentaxian?

I've read many stories here about wifes, husbands, girlfriends and boyfriends supporting our passion, by means of gifts, permissions to buy something or whatever comes; but very few (I guess none) about your spouse or s/o being also a Pentaxian.

Tell us your stories about this. Is your spouse or s/o a Pentaxian? Is he/she also into photography but with another brand? How about houshold problems arising from your passion? Let us read your stories.

As of me, my wife is becoming an enthusiast Pentaxian. Since I bough my k20D and left my *istD to pasture.... then my wife all of sudden developed an avid interest in photography, that led me to purchase another lens (a kit 18-55 II) for her to use with the *istD.

Now, after several months, she not only uses the kit lens, but more and more she uses my FA508/2.8 macro and FA135/2.8IF. Now she wants to use my FA*200/2.8. She will soon want to use my DA12-24 (she hasn't discovered yet its capabilities... haha).

In short, we are now a very happy Pentaxian couple.

02-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Good story Rob. Keep her away from that 12-24 and there won't be any ownership issues

My wife and I have been shooting birds together for a couple of years. She inherited my old Sony H1 P&S but quickly became frusterated with its slow reaction time. So - I mistakingly allowed her to try **MY** K10D. Needless to say I never heard the end of it and was forced to purchase a K-m for her. Luckily my family always gives me Henry's gift certificates. Its actually a bit of a secret weapon - she asks me why I'm always looking at lenses in the marketplace here and she always gets the same answer... "I'm looking for a Birding lens for you." One day I showed her a couple shots from people here who own the DA*300 - I rarely hear her swear but I heard it twice that day... First when she saw the pics and second when she saw the price. Needless to say I'm still scouring the Marketplace.

- Andrew
02-08-2009, 12:03 AM   #3

I bought a pentax spotmatic for the takumars, and I gave it to my girlfriend to play with. 18 rolls of film later and her pictures are looking better than mine . Now I have a spotmatic II with a 50mm s-m-c macro tak to play with on the way

Unfortunately I just found out she is a huge fan of white electronics. damn.

Last edited by southy; 02-08-2009 at 12:37 AM.
02-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Well, my dear one hasn't shown a whole lot of photo interest, but now that I finally have DSLR, my Lumix bridge camera is now seeing more use in sweetie's hands. which I like to see. Once I get my situation together for digital, I'll be starting to get some more old stuff really tuned up, so I'll possibly be doing some 'Here, bring this one.' with varying film things, too.

02-08-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My wife is my partner/second shooter when I shoot social events (galas, BD parties, etc.). She's not very experienced, when it comes to f-stops and adjusting manual flash on the fly. I'll just set her up with one of the bodies and let her have at it. I normally give her a prime, set the aperture to F5.6 or F8, and then set the flash power. She can adjust the flash as she needs to. I don't rely on her shots, but she has come up with a few good ones.
02-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I met my wife (1987) her K1000 had recently been stolen.
One of my first gifts to her was to replace it.

I was a Nikon user until ~1995; then I switched to Pentax, too.

Chris
02-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

My lovely wife is a "proxy" Pentaxian. She tells me what to shoot with my K100d.

02-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Tell us your stories about this. Is your spouse or s/o a Pentaxian? Is he/she also into photography but with another brand? How about houshold problems arising from your passion? Let us read your stories.
My wife's only involvement with Pentax has been to ask, "What camera is THAT!!?"

(Until the A40.)
02-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting and nice stories here, but I presume from the several thousand people enlisted here, that most of us share our passion with our significant other. Let us read more stories, especially those which led to significant changes or improvement within or passion.
02-12-2009, 01:51 AM   #10
Inactive Account

My girlfriend has always liked my pictures, but I never really thought she had much interest in photography herself. When I talk about gear and other photography stuff I always thought she was just listening because I was talking. Then, the other day she told me I should get her a camera. It was a nice surprise.

Now I just have to figure out whether it should be a K-m or something like a G10 or LX3. I think she'd probably use a bridge camera more, but with the K-m she could use all my lenses, and of course end up with better quality pictures. So, I think I'll get her a bridge camera so she doesn't infringe on my lens usage
02-12-2009, 03:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

My beloved does a lovely job of spotting subject matter at this stage, I'm a bit leery about passing the camera over to her as more then likely she will commandeer it like she did with one of my laptops.
She's also quite good at reviewing the day's pics and inputting about what is worth keeping versus you boofed it pics.
02-12-2009, 04:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

My girlfriend has been slightly interested, and I'm hoping she's gonna start using the P3n + M50/1.7 I've given her
02-12-2009, 08:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My partner has a very good photographic eye (she has to have that, as she is a fashion catalogue producer...), but since the advent of digital she switched completely to P&S cameras, Nikon Coolpixes... (in film days she used a Canon AE-1Program with a couple of lenses.) Last Christmas I decided, time was ripe and I gave her a K-m with the kit lens and a nice little Crumpler bag. She has been to London in the meantime and came back with some really good images, given, that she had abysmal weather. I am sure, within six months, she will be an avid Pentax user...

Ben
02-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #14

My wife's only a pentaxian when I lend her my camera...
02-12-2009, 12:27 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My wife is a Pentaxian. For the longest time she used an old Konica 35, then found it limiting. When she went biking in Europe for 2 months with our daughter, I got her a used ME and a new FA 28-80. Both selected for the weight - not much. As we age our eyes give us a bit of trouble, and while I was working out of town the 28-80 migrated to the SF-1 and got appropriated. That was a good excuse to buy myself an MZ-S and FA 24-90. Since I got myself the K10D and assorted DA gear, the MZ-S and 24-90 seem to come along with us. She has an excellent eye for composing, but is not as keen as I am.