Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree, see new street photography thread

QuoteOriginally posted by octavmandru Quote
mmm not bad at all.... Thanks for sharing.

Point of everyone here, is that this discussion turned to an endless and pointless fight.
Endless- think it's obvious
pointless- since no one will change his/her photo style 'cause somebody disagrees...
My point is that our beloved forum must not turn into the host of personal fights.
People must respect each other in this community.

After all, stopping before offending/bothering others, is the way to respect them.

my humble opinion
I agree and I accept some of the responsibility for getting us off track and distorting a good topic. To that end, I've started another street photography thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-pentax-photography/53595-street-p...ermission.html in hopes we can all get back to the fun of taking photographs. Let's hope this thread has now run its course,
Brian

Last edited by FHPhotographer; 03-09-2009 at 05:24 PM. Reason: typo correction
03-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #167
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi guys. I was chatting with another fellow on another forum regarding street shooting and thought my comments would fit here as well. So if anyone cares to read them, here they are... The thread is here if anyone wants to follow it. Street photography mojo lost - Photo.net Pentax Forum

I have been thinking about this. Likely this will go the way of a rant.. Maybe it is not a bad thing that you lost your street mojo. I mean the reality is that most people look down on street shooters and don't even consider it photography... Street shooters are a very small group. I post in two other forums other than this one and one of my threads can be found here. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/43981-capture-stranger-street-style.html
I used to post here, but my threads kept getting deleted so I stopped. P.net has the greatest people, but some of the mods? We will leave it at that. Anyway, if you really want to to go on street hunts, let me know and we can get together. With day light savings time there will be more light.

What I have done is set two days aside during the week to go out during the day. Tuesdays and Thursdays I take 4-5 hour lunch breaks between 12:00 and 5:00 and then I go back to work until about 9 or 10 pm so I still put in my 50-60 hour weeks. But that's another thing all on its own..

I am far from being an expert and don't consider street to be my strong point. I have been street shooting for over three now, so I am still a noob..I love shooting birds and things, but there are only so many landscape, flower and duck shots one can take. People are the one thing that is always different and interesting and also the most difficult to do.
What I enjoy the most about street shooting is the walking. The pictures are a bonus for all the walking.. When ever I set out to find street captures I find they are difficult to come by so I just let them come to me. Still you need to get out and simply do it.

These days most of my street shots are done in film. Why? Because I like street in film. It has a certain appeal to it. A more vintage look about it. It looks more street. I also find it easier to do.

Here are three from this past weekend. All shot with Canon AE-1 and 200 speed 99cents store film....and 28mm lens..Appx distance was 10 feet. This lens was to wide for film. 40 or 50mm is perfect for me.

Chilling enjoying the day in Manhattan beach.

03-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #168
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would not say even 1/3 of the people I shoot I interact with, but many, many I do. Since I frequent many of the same places and run into many of the same people, I can say I have given away dozens of photos to many of the street vendors and workers through out my travels. I print 5x7 or 8x10'S and put them in frames. I buy the frames at the 99 cents store and the joy they bring to people when they see themselves is worth the effort. That somebody would care enough to think about them. I have also e mailed hundreds of images to folks...Don't get me wrong, It is not all rosey. I have been cussed out a few times, but it is very rare and so be it.

I don't have very many homeless pics but I will say this.. As much as I hate to say it because it sounds like bragging, I will for the sake of this thread. I have such a huge place in my heart for those down on their luck and living out in the streets, especially moms and kids, that I am very often feeding them, buying them clothes, giving them money (depending on context) I have no problems sitting down and spending time talking with them. While I do have some pictures of these folks, I rarely will post one up. Anyway..When it comes to shooting street vendors, remember they work for tips. Shoot them, but leave them a buck or two. Most are out there to make a living.

Again I say this not to bragg, because the fact is that there is not one of us who is good, no not one...Rom 3:10

Anyway to grab the context of the entire conversation, click on the link.
Street photography mojo lost - Photo.net Pentax Forum
03-10-2009, 12:09 PM   #169
Veteran Member

I'm good

Todd

03-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #170
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Again I say this not to bragg, because the fact is that there is not one of us who is good, no not one...Rom 3:10
That is something I used to hear all the time among my Christian friends. Now I am nostalgic
03-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #171
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by octavmandru Quote

Point of everyone here, is that this discussion turned to an endless and pointless fight.
Endless- think it's obvious
pointless- since no one will change his/her photo style 'cause somebody disagrees...
My point is that our beloved forum must not turn into the host of personal fights.
People must respect each other in this community.
That is so true and a good wisdom. Thanks for sharing this with us.

However, we have a thing called freedom of speech, freedom of being emotional, freedom to be acknowledged or freedom of whatever in this pentax land.
03-11-2009, 06:54 AM   #172
Veteran Member

Come man... I've been a bit emotional, I admit.
I let myself get carried sometimes, all for a good cause.

But this time we've been talking about respect for other people opinion.
Respect is responsible freedom, this is my newbie point

Last edited by octavmandru; 03-15-2009 at 04:53 PM.