Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2009, 09:49 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
Telephoto lenses.
I really wasn't trying to be funny. When I want to shoot "culture", I've found long lenses the best. They give you a stand-off distance, which in one aspect, is very non-threatening to the subject. And, most times, they won't even notice you. About the only thing that is lost with the usage of telephoto lenses is a narrow DOF.

Of course, I never, never take pictures of children unless I get permission first. It's easy with my grandkids because I can shoot them all I want, and if there are playmates around interacting with my grandchildren, them too.

02-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
I am sure glad this is a photography related forum, when I saw the title the first thing that popped into my mind was Unreal Tournament "Headshot!" when you nailed an opponent in the head with the sniper rifle.
Dominating!
02-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #18
Veteran Member

!!godlike!!
02-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
When I want to shoot "culture", I've found long lenses the best. They give you a stand-off distance, which in one aspect, is very non-threatening to the subject. And, most times, they won't even notice you. About the only thing that is lost with the usage of telephoto lenses is a narrow DOF.
This works for me. I do most of my street photography with the DA-50-200mm. People rarely notice that I am taking their photos.

02-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
!!godlike!!

I'm gonna have to dig that game out.
02-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote

I'm gonna have to dig that game out.
Is that Dota?
02-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #22
Forum Member

It really pays if you carry a small portfolio of your work. Found it useful from taking pics of motorcycles in front of the Hells Angles club to beautiful women. If they are upset and are confrontational pull your portfolio out (as long as it’s good) and you will be surprised at the attitude change. When they see that your professional in your work and not a creep or a stalker they usually don’t mind. I even had club members pose with their bikes.

Last edited by djayvo; 02-11-2009 at 05:56 AM. Reason: spelling
02-12-2009, 12:39 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Got into street photography only very recently and I really enjoy it. I think you just should try and your nerves when shooting unknown people will rather quickly change in confidence and a pleasant thrill. Sometimes I pretend to shoot just a cityscape and then either change my angle of view to the person I want to shoot, or wait until the person walks into my picture. Needs some preperation and pre-thinking, but it works....

In the beginning I used mostly medium telephoto lenses, but now I use everything between 50 and 135 mm. Oh, and mostly I act and move quite inconspicuous, but sometimes I just stand still, kneel in a busy street, whatever. Acting this way people just don't expect you to be photographing them. It's too unexpected, too strange....
02-12-2009, 01:28 AM   #24
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by xecutech Quote
When I am out in public, I see a lot of interesting people that I would like to take pictures of. I don't want to freak them out!

I see a lot of your pics on here with people out in public. How do you go about getting shots of strangers without getting the police called on you?
When I saw the subject line of this thread, politicians sprung to mind.
02-12-2009, 09:51 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by djayvo Quote
It really pays if you carry a small portfolio of your work. Found it useful from taking pics of motorcycles in front of the Hells Angles club to beautiful women. If they are upset and are confrontational pull your portfolio out (as long as it’s good) and you will be surprised at the attitude change. When they see that your professional in your work and not a creep or a stalker they usually don’t mind. I even had club members pose with their bikes.
As an old motorcyclist my advice to anyone is don't take pictures of club riders or their bikes without asking permission first.
02-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
As an old motorcyclist my advice to anyone is don't take pictures of club riders or their bikes without asking permission first.
or what?

you're on public streets, i'm on public streets
02-12-2009, 10:45 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Huh... I'd never take pictures of motorcyclists myself... They're so damn sloooowwww that I'm usually just trying to get 'em to pull over or hope there's a passing lane coming up. Gah! I miss fast motorcyclists (what happened to them? - they all crash?)

Seriously, what's the danger with taking pictures of aging architects, layers and dentists? One might offer me his business card???
02-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #28
Veteran Member

because its legal, dont worry about cops, unless in addition to taking photographs you like to hop fences and pick locks.
Awww crap I'm in trouble then!

One of my hobbies happens to be lockpicking

Fortunately I'm not much of a fence hopper!

Pat
02-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #29
Veteran Member

or what?

you're on public streets, i'm on public streets
they also don't have anyone restraining them... and they probably have friends too....

wouldnt want to take photos of gang members if you understand...
02-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
they also don't have anyone restraining them... and they probably have friends too....

wouldnt want to take photos of gang members if you understand...
thats why you learn to ninja