Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What drive mode do you set on default?
Single frame 6061.22%
Continuous frame 3030.61%
Mix 88.16%
Don't care   00%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2009, 05:36 PM   #16

Hand-held I'm always on continuous, but on a tripod I usually set it to 2-sec self-timer.

02-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I keep it on slow continuous, a habit from film cameras,where I like the slow winder. Generally all I need, and plenty of time to get off the shutter to pick my shots, as well. Rarely do I actually lean on the shutter, anyway.
02-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
single for intentional shots. continuous for everyday. burst mode during sports. Most of the photos that are used are no larger then postcard size at most so even a 1megapixel picture is adequate.

I often get stares from others with 1D, D700 similarly priced systems when i use the K20D`s 20fps burst mode. If the lock is solid and the tracking decide to cooperate, lots of useable pics.
02-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I use mostly single frame. When the time calls for it I will try continuous. Also when I feel like I want to try HDR I go with bracketing.

02-23-2009, 09:59 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Continuous always, but for a reason I haven't seen mentioned yet - Focus.

I routinely shoot a three shot burst and nine times out of ten the second shot is noticably sharper than the first and third one. No idea why but for me it's a verifiable and repeatable fact so I just go with it.
02-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #21
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Continuous for sports. I like single when out and about taking photos, makes me take my time.
03-16-2009, 04:13 PM   #22

Single frame shooting all the time.

I've haven't yet needed to use continuous ..

Sometimes I just try it to see what the 3fps is like though.

-Isaac

03-18-2009, 03:01 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenWreckedAngle Quote
Continuous always, but for a reason I haven't seen mentioned yet - Focus.

I routinely shoot a three shot burst and nine times out of ten the second shot is noticably sharper than the first and third one. No idea why but for me it's a verifiable and repeatable fact so I just go with it.
Very interesting, what camera body, out of curiousity?

Also...does anyone else have this same experience?
03-18-2009, 03:17 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I certainly have a similar experience, but suspect it more a case of moving objects (in my case, usually people on stages), so I find that I get a greater number of accurately focused shots by shooting in continuous drive. Interestingly though, it is often the second in the bursts of three that seems best... I'll keep an eye on this and post again if I figure out why.
03-18-2009, 05:39 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Continuous. I often use manual focus lenses on my K100D and don't usually want "Focus Trapping".

I have no trouble releasing the shutter quickly enough to avoid taking multiple frames inadvertently.
03-24-2009, 09:18 AM   #26

Mine is always on Hi-speed continuous. If I want only one frame I just quickly release the shutter. However, If I want a few more, I just keep pressing, that way I'm always ready. Besides, I like to bracket, especially at relatively long shutter speeds...
03-24-2009, 09:20 AM   #27

Mine is always on Hi-speed continuous. If I want only one frame I just quickly release the shutter. However, If I want a few more, I just keep pressing, that way I'm always ready. Besides, I like to bracket, especially at relatively long shutter speeds... BTW, mine is a K200

EDIT: Ooops! I wanted to edit the previous post but apparently I posted a new one...
03-24-2009, 12:12 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Single frame only, unless intentionally bracketing. The few times I experimented with high-speed shooting, I found that the "decisive moment" usually occured between frames. I prefer to blame myself for missing a shot, rather than the camera...
03-24-2009, 03:31 PM   #29

I keep my K200 on single. When I want continuous shooting, I just keep the shutter half-pressed between shots and click as appropriate. This way, in theory, I get the shots I want. In practice, however, I tend to find that the birdies keep proving my reaction time sluggish as I tend to miss their ideal posture by about a millisecond, lol. Oh well, it's just a matter of better learning their behaviour.

I do, however, tend to switch to auto bracket or 2-second timer as convenient.
03-24-2009, 04:05 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
single for intentional shots. continuous for everyday. burst mode during sports. Most of the photos that are used are no larger then postcard size at most so even a 1megapixel picture is adequate.

I often get stares from others with 1D, D700 similarly priced systems when i use the K20D`s 20fps burst mode. If the lock is solid and the tracking decide to cooperate, lots of useable pics.
Haha! Amusing scene to imagine. *looking at camera.* It's yet to occur to me to try this. For me, it's almost a kind of feature that'd belong on a panic button, for if something really insane happens while you're out there doing whatever else. Maybe a HSv mode, (for Holy S..... call it 'High Speed Priority,' ) ...that immediately cuts all camera settings to get the most useable newspaperey images under presumably-adverse conditions.