Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What drive mode do you set on default?
Single frame 6061.22%
Continuous frame 3030.61%
Mix 88.16%
Don't care   00%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2009, 04:28 AM   #1
Forum Member

What drive mode do you set on default?

Single frame v.s. Continuous? Mix? Don't care?

02-10-2009, 06:48 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I find that single is fine in most cases. Shooting RAW on my K100D on single still fills the buffer just as quick anyway so there is no need.
02-10-2009, 07:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Single frame, most stuff I take pictures of happens at slow speed (or no speed at all) so no need for multiple frames per second.
02-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Usually single, but for sports, continuous.

02-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Single. AF seems to hunt much less on all lenses vs continuos.
02-11-2009, 07:12 AM   #6

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Photos: Albums
I use a bit of both, it depends on the situation. Landscapes and slow moving things on single
and if I want sequence shots I use high speed continuous. Most of the time though my K20D is left on high speed continuous and images shot in RAW. That way if I see something I want to
shoot I can get a few shots quickly.
02-11-2009, 07:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

X Man, that's interesting, I'll certainly have to play around with that.

For the most part I leave drive mode on continuous, because there's nothing more frustrating that wanting to take multiple shots unexpectedly only to find that you're set to single. At the same time, it's easy enough to only take single shots if you want to. I just like always having the option to hold the shutter down and let it click away merrily.

Of course, it's amusing when someone else takes a picture with it and inadvertently takes three...

02-11-2009, 07:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensScribe Quote
For the most part I leave drive mode on continuous, because there's nothing more frustrating that wanting to take multiple shots unexpectedly only to find that you're set to single. At the same time, it's easy enough to only take single shots if you want to. I just like always having the option to hold the shutter down and let it click away merrily.
I agree and leave mine set to continuous, low and bump it up to high when shooting action. Using a fast SD card makes a huge difference for me. I'm using OCZ Gold Series which are fast and half the price of Sandisk cards. I haven't had to wait for the buffer to clear lately.

hth
02-11-2009, 07:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StevenVH Quote
I'm using OCZ Gold Series which are fast and half the price of Sandisk cards. I haven't had to wait for the buffer to clear lately.
Can you tell me a little more about the OCZ Gold Series? I'm using a 2gb Sandisk III, as it was the fastest I could afford at the time. But I find the buffer slows by shot four and crawls thereafter...
02-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

re: OCZ Gold Series

QuoteOriginally posted by LensScribe Quote
Can you tell me a little more about the OCZ Gold Series? I'm using a 2gb Sandisk III, as it was the fastest I could afford at the time. But I find the buffer slows by shot four and crawls thereafter...
Well I haven't done any critical tests, so i can't post transfer rates. I was using standard class 6 Transcend 8GB & 16GB cards and had to wait too often (although they performed very well under more "normal" conditions).
To test the OCZ cards I first just shot numerous bursts at static test subjects with good results. Then I shot a couple kids soccer games for practice and testing with equally good results.
In high continuous mode the buffer still fills at some point, depending on subject to some degree, and the camera slows considerably.
Using fresh Lithium batteries helps somewhat, but I think it's the nature of the beast and can't be resolved completely.
For me short bursts basically eliminates the issue and serves my purpose and method well. I don't feel I've missed any shots lately, which wasn't the case with the slower cards.
I purchased the OCZ Gold cards from tigerdirect.com in the US, but OCZ is world-wide, so they should be available.

hth and gl
02-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Single, most of my shots are deliberate so no need to machine-gun them off.
02-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Single, most of my shots are deliberate so no need to machine-gun them off.
Yeah, I try for that.

But I've found myself caught by just missing something often enough that I leave it on continuous. The exception is my USER mode, which I have configured for shooting with flash — there, multiple frames in succession generally means the flash didn't have time to recharge and it's black anyway. (This is good discipline for the deliberate-shooting approach. )
02-11-2009, 10:51 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use single frame mode exclusively, even for high speed sports events. I prefer to time the shot and shoot carefully rather than just blast away. I am not a fan of increasing my post time filtering through five times as many images, even just to delete the bum ones.
02-11-2009, 11:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

i use low speed continuous most of the time, gives me the option of taking another shot if something happened (person walked into the frame etc) without releasing the focus/exposure
02-12-2009, 08:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have the camera always on high speed continous. Use this mode since film days with motor drives on the LX and MX bodies.

Ben