Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax going out of business??

Hi I'm new to this particular forum... I'm more of a lurker...

Anyway... I heard something very disturbing today from a Wolf Camera Employee. He told me that Samsung had bought Pentax, and that they were going to shut down the Pentax Name in less than a year. He said wolf has already stopped receiving Pentax product because of this.

Have any of you heard anything like this? I know that Samsung uses some of Pentax technologies, and a couple of their cameras are clones.

I'm a lil scared, since I have a K10d, and am wondering if If that is going to hurt support?

Anyone know anything about this?

03-28-2007, 08:02 PM   #2
racinsince55

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxperson Quote
Hi I'm new to this particular forum... I'm more of a lurker...

Anyway... I heard something very disturbing today from a Wolf Camera Employee. He told me that Samsung had bought Pentax, and that they were going to shut down the Pentax Name in less than a year. He said wolf has already stopped receiving Pentax product because of this.

Have any of you heard anything like this? I know that Samsung uses some of Pentax technologies, and a couple of their cameras are clones.

I'm a lil scared, since I have a K10d, and am wondering if If that is going to hurt support?

Anyone know anything about this?
I think that would be news to both Pentax and Samsung.

Hoya and Pentax have recently announced a merger for which you can find information on this forum as well as many others.

Now, tell me, do you think it makes much sense? Pentax has introduced three new DSLRs in the past year and have just announced their new offering in the DA* lens series.

You'll find that most sales, and even some management, personnel at Wolf Camera have very little clue as to whats happening in the real Photography world.

YMMV
03-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really wish Wolf Camera would go out of business.

Really.

(PS - If Pentax were going out of business, the dolts at Wolf Camera would be the last to know it.)

(PPS - Welcome to the forum!)
03-28-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok awesome!! Thanks...

I was hoping they were not going out of business... especially since I just received my Pentax baseball cap.

03-28-2007, 08:31 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Our trusty brand has been in business for over 50 years...I don't think anything could wipe the Pentax logo away from their cameras

Welcome to the forum!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-28-2007, 10:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums Pentaxperson!

Hmmm. Seems like people at that camera shop were fear mongering you in order for you to go to another brand.

I wouldn't worry much about Pentax. They are doing ok.
03-29-2007, 02:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Where do you get those caps?

03-29-2007, 02:33 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Haven't you heard? They DID. They were acquired by Ritz Camera. Now I hear that Ritz is going to close all the Wolf Camera stores. Not only that, but they are going to BURN the stores to the ground and then SALT THE EARTH on which they stand so that nothing will ever grow there again.

At least, that's what I heard...
03-29-2007, 02:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I've heard all sorts of things about Pentax from people that don't hold Pentax in their store but that were just excuses for them not having Pentax gear (as was this). If anything Pentax is on its way up.
03-29-2007, 04:28 AM   #10
Ed in GA

Yeah, Wolf Camera. As far as Wold Camera is concerned, Pentax is out of business. They have interes in selling only Nikon and Canon.

When I purchased myu k100D last year, I shopped Wolf Camera before making my purchase (which I did make locally). When I asked the salesman to show me the K100D, he got one off the shelf but then said "Now, here it is but, let me show you what you really need." and immediately place a Nikon on the counter. When I asked about the features of the K100D, he would tell me that he really didn't know much about the camera but would offer to show me what the Nikon could do.

When I asked him why he was not very interested in showing me the Pentax camera, he responded, "Pentax is several years behing in technology and will probably be out of business soon." "But, this Nikon camera should be just what you need."

Wolf Camera is a pro Nikon/Canon company. They have no desire to sell anything else.

Interestingly enough, there are two young women who work at this same Wolf store who push Nikon/Canon as well. Both are K10D owners.
03-29-2007, 05:09 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by EddyinGA Quote
Interestingly enough, there are two young women who work at this same Wolf store who push Nikon/Canon as well. Both are K10D owners.
To quote a line from the Chef in Futurama, "Try the pasta, it has a nice profit margin."
03-29-2007, 07:20 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Wolf salesperson is incorrect. Pentax is alive and the camera division is profitable. Hoya Corp. is acquiring Pentax Corp., which is good news. Note that the merger won't take place until October 2007.

The Samsung relationship dates back a couple years, when it was announced that Samsung was going to be developing a line of d-SLRs based on the Pentax k-mount. Pentax was to provide technical support. The first Samsung SLRs looked very much like the "D" cameras.

Here is a couple of pieces I wrote on the Hoya acquisition when it was announced. Remember, I think this is good news.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/1775-busting-few-p...long-read.html
03-29-2007, 07:36 AM   #13

I thought the first Samsung SLRs very much were the "D" cameras?
03-29-2007, 09:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote

Really.

(PS - If Pentax were going out of business, the dolts at Wolf Camera would be the last to know it.)

(PPS - Welcome to the forum!)
HaHA so true. All that RebelKonolgy brain washing. I feel bad for a lot of people because they got their potentials wasted on marketing premiums. Most photographers are pursuing this only as a hobby and don't have alot of $ to spare.

Many Rebels and Nikonians were duped by salespeople like those mentioned at Wolf's into an system that forces you to spend big just to get a little. Every letter on the collar after the focal length/aperture adds hundreds to the price tag. Unfortunately I see way too many of those folks walking around with nothing but EF-S/DX 18-55 kits.
03-29-2007, 10:12 AM   #15

Very nice! But yeah, Pentax is in for the long run. And they will stay too, just because of the pentaprism.

Profits are great for Pentax, and the market is only growing for there gear.

But on the topic of rebel-nikonians, i work with Pentax and Nikons, mainly because Pentax has no D2Hs camera (8fps), which i need for some of my journalism and sports work. This does not mean i cant use my K10D, but i prefer the D2Hs for this. But for all my personal work, its all Pentax!

But in my local camera store, i walked in and asked to see there Nikon gear, and was berated by the owner, of all people, for using outdated equipment. Granted, he sold Pentax, but he used, and pushed, purely Canon. So those games are all over the market, not just Wolf Camera.