Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #1

Bokeh vs Background Blur: Is there a difference?

According to a friend of mine, there is!

Bokeh is supposedly the blurry effect created by a combination of a shallow DOF and a light source.

Background blur is simply just blur.

I don't know about this... Anyone care to opine?

02-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the difference is that bokeh is Japanese, while background blur is English. Bokeh seems to ave taken over lately in the laguage. Whichever way, the bokeh with some lenses is truly beautiful (I think the word is "buttery") while with others, it just doesn't look right. This is one of the things about mirror lenses that drives me to the point of not using them - those doughnut highlights in the background blur.
02-11-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Bokeh a result of the shape of the aperture

Bokeh is when the out of focus highlights form as a result of the shape of the opening in the aperture. A lens with "nice" bokeh will result in very round soft out of focus highlights, while a lesser aperture, such as a five blades aperture openings with flat or pentagonal shape will show bokeh highlights to be the shape of the aperture opening, yet with soft edges.

That's one of the reasons why digital lens manufacturers are working very hard to create apertures that are fully circular as the diaphragm opens and closes. It's more critical to control this shape with digital because of the difficulty in achieving nice Bokeh (japanese or otherwise) considering the difficulties of getting a short DOF in digital lenses/small sensors.

Blur is just blur, most often caused by movement of the camera. Bokeh is a function of the shape of out of focus highlights, created by the shape of the aperture.

A larger aperture that is absolutely round produces the shortest Depth of Field, and thus, the nicest bokeh. Older, less expensive five bladed apertures create pentagonal (right word?) shaped bokeh highlights when the aperture is open wide.

A mirror lens creates those circular highlights because the bokeh is a reflection of the circle that is made up by the mirror with a hole in the center.
02-12-2009, 06:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lastdodobird Quote
According to a friend of mine, there is!

Bokeh is supposedly the blurry effect created by a combination of a shallow DOF and a light source.

Background blur is simply just blur.

I don't know about this... Anyone care to opine?
Bokeh refers to how out of focus areas look pleasing to the eye, not just that it's out of focus.

02-12-2009, 06:28 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Is anyone aware of a good visual comparison of bokeh from various lenses or any quantitative measure of "bokeh quality"?
02-12-2009, 07:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Take a look at this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31244-bokeh-ma...ggestions.html

Lots of opinions and pictures for you to look at... beware though... This thread has been known to create severe cases of LBA. You have been warned.
02-12-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

It is possible to create background blur while panning when shooting a moving subject and its not the same thing as bokeh or at least my understanding of it. Maybe someone who knows the Japanese language can fill us in on what the real defination is.

I wonder if the great bokeh in some lenses were by design or happened by accident? Lens reviews for years always talked about sharpness at all the openings, contrast, etc and it seems like only recently that reviewers are rating bokeh. I recently read a review of a Canon prime somewhere that got some thumbs down marks because they didn't like the bokeh. I just don't remember as much emphasis on it 20 or 30 years ago, rating a lens on how nice the out of focus areas look and I wonder if it is now included in lens designs.

02-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Saichiez Quote
Bokeh is when the out of focus highlights form as a result of the shape of the opening in the aperture. A lens with "nice" bokeh will result in very round soft out of focus highlights, while a lesser aperture, such as a five blades aperture openings with flat or pentagonal shape will show bokeh highlights to be the shape of the aperture opening, yet with soft edges.

That's one of the reasons why digital lens manufacturers are working very hard to create apertures that are fully circular as the diaphragm opens and closes. It's more critical to control this shape with digital because of the difficulty in achieving nice Bokeh (japanese or otherwise) considering the difficulties of getting a short DOF in digital lenses/small sensors.

Blur is just blur, most often caused by movement of the camera. Bokeh is a function of the shape of out of focus highlights, created by the shape of the aperture.

A larger aperture that is absolutely round produces the shortest Depth of Field, and thus, the nicest bokeh. Older, less expensive five bladed apertures create pentagonal (right word?) shaped bokeh highlights when the aperture is open wide.

A mirror lens creates those circular highlights because the bokeh is a reflection of the circle that is made up by the mirror with a hole in the center.
Point taken - yes there is blur other than bokeh possible. Thanks!
02-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

this is bokeh

this is blur

so yes, there is a difference
02-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
Take a look at this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31244-bokeh-ma...ggestions.html

Lots of opinions and pictures for you to look at... beware though... This thread has been known to create severe cases of LBA. You have been warned.
I'd forgotten how many rabbit holes that thread opened up, its definately helpful to the is topic. Lots of links to relevant points in there all.

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
It is possible to create background blur while panning when shooting a moving subject and its not the same thing as bokeh or at least my understanding of it. Maybe someone who knows the Japanese language can fill us in on what the real defination is.

I wonder if the great bokeh in some lenses were by design or happened by accident? Lens reviews for years always talked about sharpness at all the openings, contrast, etc and it seems like only recently that reviewers are rating bokeh. I recently read a review of a Canon prime somewhere that got some thumbs down marks because they didn't like the bokeh. I just don't remember as much emphasis on it 20 or 30 years ago, rating a lens on how nice the out of focus areas look and I wonder if it is now included in lens designs.
Lens designers for a long time have considered a lens oof (out of focus) rendering. It was the raison d’être of the early Zeiss Sonnars among others. They sacrificed some sharpness to be slightly under corrected for spherical abberation resulting in a softened overall appearance in the result.

I think bokeh is just a definitive term relative to the consideration of the oof on its own merits, rather than just calling it blur, which has been pointed out can be used to describe several not sharp results, but not all by intention. Bokeh is intentional.

Thats not to say that some lenses not intended to be specifically great at bokeh, aren't also able to produce some, but its probably more often the case that lenses spcifically designed to produce a pleasing oof are able to accomplish this under a wider array of adverse shooting conditions.

Most kit lenses or economy lenses do not cater to this fine wine tasting of bokeh appreciation. Its something a lot of people on a budget simply do not care enough about to spend extra for. However, once you develop a taste for it, there is a virtually limitless amount of money that can be spent on your wine cellar/lens collection.

Look up the Minolta/Sony 135STF and the Leica Noctilux 50/1 as two immediate examples of lenses spared little or no expense in the pursuit of bokeh.

Kelly.

Edit, Gooshin beat me to it, nice example!
02-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The word "bokeh" had been coined since 1870s by Japanese research group. The term was used to designate an area to research on. In that period, Japan was a copy-cat nation that wanted to carbon-copy everything.

The criteria of good bokeh was really based on the leica series lenses at the time. A lot of loose definitions have been applied to this particular word. However, it really meant more than just "out of focus" blur. Personally, I like to consider the word "bokeh" as a visual effect that is equivalent to the view after a long sedating sleep, waking up feeling like a zombie kind of state...

Last edited by roentarre; 02-12-2009 at 08:56 PM.
02-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #12
Pentaxian

When I first saw the term "bokeh", I though it was the illiterate way to spell "bouquet", one of the qualities of wine...

But I also thought "noise reduction" was an auditory thing (when reading spec's about my first P&S...)
02-12-2009, 08:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

So, I think this:

The Online Photographer: What Is Bokeh?

is as close to an authoritative answer as we can get, since it's from the person who coined the spelling "bokeh" (to help English speakers not pronounce the word to rhyme with "poke").
02-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #14
Inactive Account

That's actually quite accurate. In Japanese, "bokeh" is often used to describe the state of being out of it or in a daze.

Much like you feel looking at the bokeh of a really good Limited lens...!

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
However, it really meant more than just "out of focus" blur. Personally, I like to consider the word "bokeh" as a visual effect that is equivalent to the view after a long sedating sleep, waking up feeling like a zombie kind of state...
02-13-2009, 01:34 AM   #15
axl
Veteran Member

I think Gooshin, explained it very plainly.... so yes there is a difference...