Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
Forum Member

Manual focusing using red AF confirmation dots?

Ok, so I am trying to decide between getting a k2000 or one of the higher end
Pentax models, and one of the issues is it's lack of AF confirmation dots.

I plan on using my old Takumar lenses, and I hear that some people use the
red AF dots to help them focus manually.

Could someone explain exactly how that works?

As you turn the focus ring, do the red AF dots light up instantly when they have
something in focus at their location?

Also, even on the k2000 there is a green "in focus" dot at the bottom of the
viewfinder, right? Is that linked to the center AF point? So could I point the
center at the subject, turn the focus ring until the green light comes on, and
then recompose and shoot?

[kurt]

02-12-2009, 11:32 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
If it's anything like the K10D/K20D, the red dots only indicate the focus zone used and not AF confirmation. You have to wait for either the audible tone or the green hexagon.
02-12-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I use Takumars to the point that it is more than slightly ridiculous....and on both my K100D and my K20D I have the red AF point indicators turned off. I find them to be a nuisance. And as has already been pointed out, they don't indicate focus confirmation; the green hexagon does that. Since there is only one point on the K2000 I think it safe to assume it is linked to the center point.
02-12-2009, 11:50 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I have the red AF point indicators turned off. I find them to be a nuisance. And as has already been pointed out, they don't indicate focus confirmation; the green hexagon does that.

In that case, these posts make no sense to me:

(from this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/49430-k2000-km-has-bee...-thoughts.html)

QuoteQuote:
jsherman999:

Absolutely, the only real quibble I had with the K-M was the lack of AF point confirmation. That really, really annoyed me, because I wanted to use it to shoot Taks and other MF lenses occasionally, and I hated the MF experience without that red indicator.
and a reply:

QuoteQuote:
Blue:

Apparently, you and I are some of the few that like that red indicator for taks and other m42 lenses.

Any idea what I am missing?

Last edited by shuttervox; 02-12-2009 at 11:55 PM.
02-12-2009, 11:54 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Since there is only one point on the K2000 I think it safe to assume it is linked to the center point.
Also, I was under the impression that the K2000 has 5 AF points, but only the center is actually selectable?.

But with the K20D and K200D, the other points are also selectable, right? So if you selected one of the off-center point, would the green In-focus dot/beep be linked to the off-center AF point?

If so, couldn't the selectable AF point feature be a help to MF non-centered compositions?

[kurt]
02-13-2009, 01:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If you're using Takumars, you only get the center point, so the green hexagon would be linked to it.

I've never found it to be a burden to focus on something off-center and recompose before shooting. I'd find it more of a time-consuming hassle to have to monkey around with moving my selected AF point and being constrained to having to have my desired point of focus coincide with one of the five points in the viewfinder.

I think there are something like eleven points in the K20D, and as far as I'm concerned they could take them all out but the center one.
02-13-2009, 05:53 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shuttervox Quote
Also, I was under the impression that the K2000 has 5 AF points, but only the center is actually selectable?.

But with the K20D and K200D, the other points are also selectable, right? So if you selected one of the off-center point, would the green In-focus dot/beep be linked to the off-center AF point?

If so, couldn't the selectable AF point feature be a help to MF non-centered compositions?

[kurt]
It could be but that wasn't implemented.

As I understand it the red dot's appearance does not indicate focus has been achieved; it was likely removed because too many users wrongly assume the red dot DOES indicate focus has been reached (resulting in many out-of-focus photos incorrectly blamed on a flaky camera.)

Dave

02-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shuttervox Quote
In that case, these posts make no sense to me:

(from this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/49430-k2000-km-has-bee...-thoughts.html)

Any idea what I am missing?
You're not missing anything -there was a lot of confusion around the issue, and a lot of incorrect statements floating around. It is true the K2000 lacks the red dots that show which focus point is being used - but that is something that is relevant only for *auto* focus lenses. With manual focus lenses, it *only* the center focus that can ever be used for confirmation on any Pentax DSLR, so you don't *need* the red dot to indicate which point is being used. All you need is something to tell you 8when* that center is in focus - and that's what the green hexagon is for - again, on *all* Pentax DSLR's.

Some people were not understanding the whole red dot / green haxagon distinction. And others were not understanding that multiple focus points were *never* available for focus confirmation on *any* Pentax DSLR.
02-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Some people were not understanding the whole red dot / green haxagon distinction. And others were not understanding that multiple focus points were *never* available for focus confirmation on *any* Pentax DSLR.

Ok, this is very helpful. Thanks for the clarification.

[kurt]
02-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
one thing I find with the focus confirmation, whether it is a beep or the green hexigon is that if you are not careful, you move through the focus by the time you react to it.

I am planning to perminantly convert one of my bodies to a perminant M42 body, (i.e. leave the screw mount adaptor in full time) and get a split image.

to me it seems the best approach
02-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Minor clarification; the other points were available for manual focus using autofocus lenses. With the manual focus lenses, it was always center point only.

Now I want them to bring back the direction arrows indicators for manual focusing that the SF series had. Of course if you manually focus opposite-turn Sigma lenses, these indicators would be backwards...
02-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
Minor clarification; the other points were available for manual focus using autofocus lenses. With the manual focus lenses, it was always center point only.
You're right; I was careful to make that distinction in my first paragraph, but not the last. Since the OP was asking about using Takumars, the subject of manually focusing AF lenses was not foremost on my mind.
02-13-2009, 07:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
Now I want them to bring back the direction arrows indicators for manual focusing that the SF series had. Of course if you manually focus opposite-turn Sigma lenses, these indicators would be backwards...
The Nikon D60 has an indicator similar to the exposure meter telling you which way to go when manually focusing.
02-14-2009, 10:18 AM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
one thing I find with the focus confirmation, whether it is a beep or the green hexigon is that if you are not careful, you move through the focus by the time you react to it.

I am planning to perminantly convert one of my bodies to a perminant M42 body, (i.e. leave the screw mount adaptor in full time) and get a split image.

to me it seems the best approach

Not wanting to add further confusion, but I will definitely endorse the "get a split image" statement. I recently bought the Katz Eye for my K10D, and it has made an enormous improvement in the percentage of my shots in focus. This includes lenses that are AF and those that are not.
02-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I use Takumars to the point that it is more than slightly ridiculous....and on both my K100D and my K20D I have the red AF point indicators turned off. I find them to be a nuisance. And as has already been pointed out, they don't indicate focus confirmation; the green hexagon does that. Since there is only one point on the K2000 I think it safe to assume it is linked to the center point.

I'm just the opposite - I find the red focus indicator invaluable to my MF shooting style. (To reiterate, it's not focus confirmation, it's just focus lock - focus confirmation is still the green hexagon. And yes, it's center-only with MF.)

Here's why - I can just nail focus faster with the red indicator - I focus very fast until I see it, slow down until I see the green hex, shoot. The red indicator can act as a "green hex imminent!" warning to you.

Often with the K-M, I was focusing through the green hex, had to pull back and regain focus - very annoying to me. I felt like I was shooting just a bit more blind, and had to take things slower, even when I needed to focus fast to capture the subject.

If I'm really able to take my time, the red indicator isn't as important, but if I want to be able to nail focus quickly and precisely, it really helps.

They put it in the K100D, K200D and K20D for a reason, after all

Having the red indicator helps me nail MF shots like this:

(he was running, it was... flying)
A 50- 2.8 macro

S-M-C Tak 200 f/4

Of course, having an exceptional viewfinder like the film bodies, or a split screen like the catseye would make the red indicator much less necessary.

Last edited by jsherman999; 02-14-2009 at 11:14 AM.