Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Ebay will drive you nuts - too true!!

I just checked out a post on Miserere and Peter's blog and thought you guys might enjoy this too. Too funny!

Top 10 Reasons Ebay Will Drive You Nuts Enticing the Light

02-14-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, it was funny. While I have have bid on Ebay and did win 1 lens (only 1) for a good price once , I rarely win any auctions because they all seem to end in the evening. I work a 3 till 11 shift, usually with overtime and an hour commuting time each way on sunday thru thursday nights so the closest bid I get is is usually 6 hrs from the end. When I loose one by a dollar I get pi***d!
02-14-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You could always do the stupidly low bidding I do. Yep I miss out on heaps of buys, but a 28mm f2.8 Cosina, a 50mm f2.0 Super Takamur and a Sigma Zoom master 35-80mm f2.8 have all come in at under $20. Now I wonder how long it's going to take me to get a sub $50 50mm f 1.4?
02-15-2009, 03:07 AM   #4

eBay

Good post . Quite true on most. But i would just like some of sellers to know Canada ia not a place where you need to expand your shipping charges by %400. And yes we do know the proper charges. I seem to have my own way of bidding that seems to work quite well. Of all my buys I only had one "no show" it was a BIN also. The odds are still in my favour

Last edited by dncswclds; 02-15-2009 at 03:09 AM. Reason: spelllin crecshun
02-15-2009, 06:07 AM   #5
pdo

most experience Ebayers use sniping software or Ebay sniping website to bid now.
02-15-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm glad you guys liked it. I'm still not sure if Peter wrote this out of spite or out of humour. I'll be sure to ask him once the doctors say it's OK to take the restraining vest off
02-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Yeah, it was funny. While I have have bid on Ebay and did win 1 lens (only 1) for a good price once , I rarely win any auctions because they all seem to end in the evening. I work a 3 till 11 shift, usually with overtime and an hour commuting time each way on sunday thru thursday nights so the closest bid I get is is usually 6 hrs from the end. When I loose one by a dollar I get pi***d!
I did it this way for the first couple of bids going right up to the end and then losing by 50 cents. Now, I just put what I am truly willing to pay and then don't look at it again until the bidding is over. Win some -- lose some, but I have won more than I have lost, and have never paid more than $20 except 1 time.

02-18-2009, 09:16 PM   #8

Bidding

It really amounts to how much you are willing to pay for the item.? The final bids are really only a few dollars difference.. What are you willing to pay for the item and being realistic.? Go big or go home as they say.
02-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dncswclds Quote
It really amounts to how much you are willing to pay for the item.? The final bids are really only a few dollars difference.. What are you willing to pay for the item and being realistic.? Go big or go home as they say.
Or maybe you could say...Go big AND go home to your wife as you try to rationalize your latest *Bay conquest!...

Luckily I have an understanding wife and I am pretty darn good at rationalizing things
02-18-2009, 10:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've seen some absolutely stupid bidding on Ebay, mobile phones pulling $100+ current retail value, I go there for bargains not to play some silly winner/loser games and pay for items well beyond their value.
02-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #11
jeffkpotter

That was a hoot. Thank you for posting!
03-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

There's also this thing about the prices and S&H.
The prices differ for the same items probably listed by different sellers, say, one selling very low, and the other selling very high, and if you check out the S&H on the low seller and total it with the low price, it still computes the same as the one with the high price but with a low S&H or the one with the "Free shipping". .
All the same items even with different prices will always total at fairly the same price together with S&H or "free shipping"!
03-23-2009, 12:17 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
There's also this thing about the prices and S&H.
The prices differ for the same items probably listed by different sellers, say, one selling very low, and the other selling very high, and if you check out the S&H on the low seller and total it with the low price, it still computes the same as the one with the high price but with a low S&H or the one with the "Free shipping". .
All the same items even with different prices will always total at fairly the same price together with S&H or "free shipping"!
What gets me is "free shipping" usually to USA only. One such item they wanted $ 35 extra. I purchased the same item for alot less and shipping was $12. Gets me is they even do this in eBay.ca Which doesn't make alot of sense to me. HELLO.... Canada is NOT a long distance. And we are not clueless on shipping charges.
03-23-2009, 02:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

what pussels me is the sellers in the US that only sell to US only. Sell to europe and get twice the price
03-23-2009, 03:15 AM   #15
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
what pussels me is the sellers in the US that only sell to US only. Sell to europe and get twice the price
There are too many problems for them with things not arriving, or the extra hassle of customs stuff.

But there are guys who will sell to Europe, but NOT Italy, so I don't know what the heck is going on over THERE.