Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Media confusion

I hope I'm not the only one, but there have been times, while shooting with the ME Super, that I've tilted the camera looking for the Fn button so that I can boost the ISO a bit... There have also been occasions where, while shooting w/the K200D, I had to stop for a second to try and remember if I had loaded it with Tri-X or FujiColor...

03-30-2009, 08:10 AM   #47

Photos: Gallery
Steven,

FYI, I spent a few hours playing with my new K200D this weekend. I did some experimenting with the dynamic range function and am sold.

I like using the lowest ISO possible so will use 100 when lighting permits a shutter speed that won't counteract the clarity of ISO 100. However, where a shot has a wide range of lighting, the DR makes a difference.

I'd shot some more shots that had what might be called an average exposure range with dynamic range on and couldn't detect a diffference. Then the sun popped out and I took some shots of my back yard: shaded porch area in foreground, sunny yard, bright white observatory dome, houses and sky. At ISO 100 at F/8 in Av mode, all looked fine except the dome which was pretty well clipped. Switched DR on and reshot within 5-10 seconds so lighting didn't change. This time there was virtually no clipping of dome. You could see it in the histograms too. The right side had shifted to left and the overall height of the histo had increased with DR on.

(Note: I can't remember the shutter speed value now, but I do remember checking it at the time and noting it was unchanged between the two shots)

So I'm sold on DR when I have a challenging exposure range to handle.

Steve
03-30-2009, 08:33 AM   #48
Veteran Member

here's something that might shock you ...

a lot of wedding photographers shooting 160 rated film would push to 200 on their cameras but won't ask for the push at the lab ...there is a reason but most wedding "film" photographers shot at 200asa
03-30-2009, 08:35 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i use 200 with d range most of the time unless i need to raise that because of conditions.

03-30-2009, 07:29 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atnbirdie Quote
Steven,

FYI, I spent a few hours playing with my new K200D this weekend. I did some experimenting with the dynamic range function and am sold.

I like using the lowest ISO possible so will use 100 when lighting permits a shutter speed that won't counteract the clarity of ISO 100. However, where a shot has a wide range of lighting, the DR makes a difference.

I'd shot some more shots that had what might be called an average exposure range with dynamic range on and couldn't detect a diffference. Then the sun popped out and I took some shots of my back yard: shaded porch area in foreground, sunny yard, bright white observatory dome, houses and sky. At ISO 100 at F/8 in Av mode, all looked fine except the dome which was pretty well clipped. Switched DR on and reshot within 5-10 seconds so lighting didn't change. This time there was virtually no clipping of dome. You could see it in the histograms too. The right side had shifted to left and the overall height of the histo had increased with DR on.

(Note: I can't remember the shutter speed value now, but I do remember checking it at the time and noting it was unchanged between the two shots)

So I'm sold on DR when I have a challenging exposure range to handle.

Steve
Thanks, that's good info. So now my question is does it harm IQ in RAW to just leave it on?
I'm going to have a closer look over the next couple of days to see for myself.

cheers