Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I think there is a bit of confusion on the part of the OP as to the intent of either.

Bracketing has 2 uses, one where you are looking for very minor changes in exposure and the "perfect shot" These are usually over a complete range of 1 stop, and RAW can probably be used to do the same.

The other use of bracketing is because the dynamic range of the shot is high, and there are several options probably many stops apart and the shooter is not sure which he wants. here RAW is useless. you braceket to decide which you want.
Seems, we agree a lot recently, Lowell.. RAW and bracketing are no substitute for each other. Though RAW overs a bit more exposure latitude, than JPG, it is unlimited. I haven't measured the complete exposure latitude of a Pentax RAW, but from simply looking at them and working with them over the years, I think, it is ofcourse wider than slide film, but at the extreme ends (shadowas and highlights), image quality tends to go down. In the shadows you run into noise and in the highlights into clipping. So it is very sensible to keep the expsoure latitude under control and well within the RAW limits. And here bracketing (for layering or EDR during pp) comes in. There are simply scenes, where the round-about 10 f-stops, I find useable in a RAW file are not enough.

Ben