Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
Forum Member

RAW vs exposure bracketing

Considering how much exposure latitude you can get out of a single RAW file,
do you still need to bracket some shots?

For example, when shooting a landscape scene... you want detail in both the land
and the sky, and you don't have a gradient filter. (Do any of you ever even USE a
gradient filter?) Is there enough detail in one middle-of-the-road RAW file, or is
bracketing still required?

What about for subtle HDR shots?

[kurt]

02-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Even if you can pull out more details in a RAW file (compared to JPEG), you can (and will) find a lot of situation were the sensor won't be able to get the whole dynamic range of a scene, so bracketing will be your best option. If the horizon is fairly straight with no tall trees or buildings going through the sky, then a graduated ND filter might/will do the job.
02-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It depends on how dramatic a difference you are looking for. You won't get necessarily get enough for an extreme looking HDR, but for a fairly normal look, you can pull quite a bit out of the shadows with a single shot and nothing more than several layers of Curves adjustments.
02-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shuttervox Quote
Considering how much exposure latitude you can get out of a single RAW file,
do you still need to bracket some shots?

For example, when shooting a landscape scene... you want detail in both the land
and the sky, and you don't have a gradient filter. (Do any of you ever even USE a
gradient filter?) Is there enough detail in one middle-of-the-road RAW file, or is
bracketing still required?

What about for subtle HDR shots?
When in doubt, bracket. Even if you only use 2 of the brackets to create your HDR assembly, you can often emulate a gradient filter with the two shots. It doesn't cost anything to use the brackets. I do it regularly, even though more often than not I use only one of the exposures.

[kurt][/quote]

02-19-2009, 07:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
RAW can't create miracles. As was noted above there will be more noise in the shadows and depending on the scene there may be too much.

I still use Grad ND filters in a Cokin setup as I am often travelling light and a tripod for multiple exposures isn't practical.
02-19-2009, 08:44 AM   #6
julianactive

I don't see why shooting RAW has anything to do with bracketing. RAW can't do miracles with underexposed or overexposed shots. If that was the case then why even bother with exposure?
I shoot mostly manual and RAW plus JPEG. I have found very little difference with the end product for what I shoot, so I have been thinking of doing away with my RAW setting for most of my shots. To me RAW seems to be of the greatest value for changing white balance. Now when I shoot indoors I think RAW is the way to go.
02-19-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

With Landscapes taken at 100 ISO, I have found that you can pull better than 11 stops out of a single RAW shot with fairly good results and without noise being too much of a factor. Often this is all you have on a windy day.

02-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

RAW has about one stop of latitude on each end of the exposure range compared to JPEG. I see no reason to ever use JPEG.
02-19-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by julianactive Quote
I don't see why shooting RAW has anything to do with bracketing. RAW can't do miracles with underexposed or overexposed shots. If that was the case then why even bother with exposure?
I shoot mostly manual and RAW plus JPEG. I have found very little difference with the end product for what I shoot, so I have been thinking of doing away with my RAW setting for most of my shots. To me RAW seems to be of the greatest value for changing white balance. Now when I shoot indoors I think RAW is the way to go.
You can use one RAW file to generate several exposures, and then blend these together to increase the dynamic range, i.e. post-process bracketing. This is very useful if you for instance don't have a tripod with you.

A RAW shot can also let you recover some highlights that would be lost in a JPEG file, or let you bring out some detail from the shadows with less noise than you could with a JPEG file. So actually a RAW file can do miracles in some cases, it has saved my shots many times.
02-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

You need to bring the shot into the dynamic range of the sensor. You can bracket but ND filters use is on the rise again with a new larger size available, and with a firmer edge rather than it being totally graduated. Why you ask?.....It's easier to hold the filter in front of the lens for the shot than muck with later. I still bracket at times, but not very often. Sing-ray has the largest line available.
02-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #11

I guess I'm the only one who shoots bracketed using RAW. Because sometimes i even mess that up!
02-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

RAW is great and I only shoot RAW's, but still if conditions are hard and/or it is 'the moment' I will bracket to make sure that there is one decent shot which can survive ...
02-19-2009, 02:12 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shadowulf Quote
I guess I'm the only one who shoots bracketed using RAW. Because sometimes i even mess that up!
I also bracket RAW exposures when in doubt as to the dynamic range of the image.
02-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I also bracket RAW exposures when in doubt as to the dynamic range of the image.
Whew, that is good to hear. I have done the same. I've also inadvertently set my exposure bracket too narrow/wide for the scene, then used some RAW adjustments to bring things back in line.
02-19-2009, 05:58 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think there is a bit of confusion on the part of the OP as to the intent of either.

Bracketing has 2 uses, one where you are looking for very minor changes in exposure and the "perfect shot" These are usually over a complete range of 1 stop, and RAW can probably be used to do the same.

The other use of bracketing is because the dynamic range of the shot is high, and there are several options probably many stops apart and the shooter is not sure which he wants. here RAW is useless. you braceket to decide which you want.