Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One other benefit I must add to digital is that in the last year and a half since I have bought my DSLR, I have spent more time shooting than the previous 5 years combined. I grab my camera on the weekends and go around looking for things to photograph. My K10D has rekindled my love for photography.

02-20-2009, 11:24 AM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
You guys are acting like if there was this fairyland of film and magic before evil digital arrived, but guess what, there were still people shotgunning at high FPS long before digital. And careful shooting? HAH! Check out the # of film rolls used for your average National Geographic article. Spray and pray, indeed.

If anything, digital has allowed the great unwashed masses (that'd be us) to afford the style of shooting many pros used in the days of film.
This. PEOPLE, READ THIS!

Film this, film that. i swear, Film's going to be the next FF, not just in size, but in how people want it

Lazy photographers are lazy to begin with. it's not going to matter if you hand him a K1000, K20D or MZ-S. that photographer is still going to be lazy.

Yes, there's a better rate of keepers, and more chance to fix them, but if you're continually fixing photos, doesnt' that say more about the shooter than the camera?

you're also acting like fanboyism never existed in those reminisced Halcyon days. I heard plenty of Canon and Nikon fanboyism back when i was a little tacker. The move to digital hasn't affected the Weltzar fanboys much either, apart from a change in location...

An apprentice blaming his tools? ages old. if that wasn't the case, people would have shot professionally with the K1000 that they picked up to learn with. And while i have no doubt that some have, i can't exactly believe that everyone would.

So you long for the "good old days". there's ME's by the dozen on Ebay. old MF lenses galore. go shoot to your hearts content. or for that (possibly horifying) thought of moving to Digital, shoot with an MF lens, in full Manual mode, with the lcd off, into a half gig card in raw.

Me, i'll go looking for either an MZ-S or MZ-6. Funny that. Film, yet technology...
02-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Too be quite honest I have well into 1000 film taken pics stored and all the negs cataloged also not taking into account 400 slides.

After shooting digital nigh on 8 years I really have never looked back and have zero desire to do so

dylan
02-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #49
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
Film's going to be the next FF
Wait, so film is going to be the next big thing, replacing the current
craze over FF, which is, rather by definition, the thing that was designed
to replace.... film.

Ow.
My head...
It hurts.

[kurt]

02-20-2009, 08:18 PM   #50
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
Me, i'll go looking for either an MZ-S or MZ-6. Funny that. Film, yet technology...
mmm... data imprinting, right on the negative. How cool is that? How many of
your old negative shots would you love to have "exif" info on?

[kurt]
02-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Digital brought me back to photography and I'm loving it the second time around. It is amazing how many posts indicate people that have picked up their film camera again. I picked up my ME Super last weekend (15 years of sitting...and it had an old roll in it) and I found it easier....probably because I have experience with it from years gone by. Decide the FOV, set the shutter speed for exposure....shoot. No edials....etc etc...and the pentaprism blows away the k20d.
I'm not saying I'll use the ME Super more than my k20d.....but it really is a nice change.
I picked up a book to learn a bit about photography and noticed that I could recognize the photos that were taken by a 67.....over all of the other brands in the example.....so I picked up one today (should be here in 2 weeks or so). For the digital crowd....keep an open mind. It might be another angle for your hobby.......B+W with plenty of grain anyone.
02-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #52
julianactive

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Digital brought me back to photography and I'm loving it the second time around. It is amazing how many posts indicate people that have picked up their film camera again. I picked up my ME Super last weekend (15 years of sitting...and it had an old roll in it) and I found it easier....probably because I have experience with it from years gone by. Decide the FOV, set the shutter speed for exposure....shoot. No edials....etc etc...and the pentaprism blows away the k20d.
I'm not saying I'll use the ME Super more than my k20d.....but it really is a nice change.
I picked up a book to learn a bit about photography and noticed that I could recognize the photos that were taken by a 67.....over all of the other brands in the example.....so I picked up one today (should be here in 2 weeks or so). For the digital crowd....keep an open mind. It might be another angle for your hobby.......B+W with plenty of grain anyone.
I really hated film. Back in the day for me as a student and young guy trying to make my way, it was expensive to buy, expensive to develop and more expensive to make larger prints and impossible, unless you were really anal, to organize. No instant feedback, no playing around with my computer darkroom and no sharing photos with people far away. I think these are the good old days for photography.
The only thing that I think people really miss is the chemical smell. I suggest you buy some glue!

02-20-2009, 08:53 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by julianactive Quote
I really hated film. Back in the day for me as a student and young guy trying to make my way, it was expensive to buy, expensive to develop and more expensive to make larger prints and impossible, unless you were really anal, to organize. No instant feedback, no playing around with my computer darkroom and no sharing photos with people far away. I think these are the good old days for photography.
The only thing that I think people really miss is the chemical smell. I suggest you buy some glue!
Sorry to hear you failed miserably. It wasn't too much for some of us. I like the glue comment.
02-21-2009, 12:46 AM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by shuttervox Quote
mmm... data imprinting, right on the negative. How cool is that? How many of your old negative shots would you love to have "exif" info on?
Personally, i'd rather have the Nikon F6, and EXIF data into a CF so when i scan, i can then input EXIF into the image.

But that's the thing. sure, a K200D is far easier to shoot than with a K1000. and i understand that. slightly better today since i did a shoot with my K1000 whilst my K200D's in repair. But that's got nothing to do with film. AF/AA/AE doesn't make us lazy. neither does an automatic winder. it means i can focus more on what's important: the image i'm trying to capture. It means i'm not worried about getting the right exposure. it means that i'm not pressing the shutter button and not taking a shot because i've forgotten to wind the camera. It means i'm not getting OOF shots because my manual focusing skills are crap.

If lazy means we're focused on the shot, rather than the technical bits that need to be done before taking the shot, i'll be lazy. i'd rather have good photos from a camera in fully Automatic mode, than mediocre shots from a K1000 because of all the other things that are involved with a manual body

(and i fear my shots today will be on the shit side of Mediocre...)

That's what i like about "technology enhanced photography". no worrying about exposure. no worrying about focus. no worrying about film advance. I care about the shot. getting it, and getting it right if, and when, the camera fails to do it, not having to worry about it from the get go. And while i admire people who can nail it with film on a manual body time after time, i wouldn't be into photography had it not been for the Digital revolution

the reason i call it "Technology enhanced Photography" is that i would get the same results with a MZ-5/6/7/S as i would with my K200D (possibly even better, given i'd have to choose my shots, instead of filling 24GB with raws)

QuoteOriginally posted by shuttervox Quote
Wait, so film is going to be the next big thing, replacing the current
craze over FF, which is, rather by definition, the thing that was designed
to replace.... film.

Ow.
My head...
It hurts.

[kurt]
While it's hurting, consider this

there's a big cry for the coldness of digital to be removed. A big cry for people who've been shooting in Auto to shoot with a K1000, or at least sample film. This isn't the first "go back to film" thread i've seen here, or in any other of my photography forums. And it's always the old times that decry "in my day..."

If we keep looking backwards, you're not going to see the pole you're about to walk into.... I like being able to share the image that i've taken with my friends a second or 2 after taking it. not a few days laters after development and scanning. i like to see whether i've ****ed up a shot, not hate myself for wasting money on developing something crap.

Getting people back to the stone age isn't going to help everyone. The benefits of digital ALLOW us to bring usability backwards and shoot in full manual, or manually override settings.

secondly, whilst we pentaxians (And i assume it's only us as we're the last of the old 35mm mounts NOT to have FF) decry Pentax's decision to stick with APS-C, we do that for a totally different reason than why the Film movement has gathered up speed.

Last edited by nakey; 02-21-2009 at 10:48 AM.