Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is the grass always greener?

Canon 5D2: so long - a fashion shooter

Substitute "Pentax K20D" for "Canon 5d2" and this post would fit right in here.

02-19-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, our grass is greener. When we threaten to switch, it's to either Canon or Nikon. He only has one choice....
02-19-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
well...it depends on the angle of the sun on the other side of the fence. And it also depends on how many cows and horses are in the area. But mostly, it's just different...
02-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

also depends on the type of grass.... ive always liked buffalo grass - nice to sit on and a nice green

02-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I said it before I am getting better looking results form my K20d then from my office's 5D2.
to be honest I am using the 31mm which is maybe the best lens ever and on the 5D2 we have the 24-105 which is an OK zoom. but still on higher ISO the 5D2 is softer in my taste. its also way bigger and heavier.
I like my K20D better. and I would love a Pentax FF much much better

the only thing the blown my mind was the HD video. that is just fantastic and I wish I had the 5D2 just for that
02-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Actually, our grass is greener. When we threaten to switch, it's to either Canon or Nikon. He only has one choice....

That's one of the best quotes I've ever read here.
02-19-2009, 11:19 PM   #7
Forum Member

That has got to be the whiniest thing I've ever read. All I could think the whole time is "why is a pro photog bitching about AF?" for real... I'm a total amateur and can still manage to focus a camera. What a douche-bag.

It doesn't matter what you do, carpenter, motocross racer, axe murderer... if you're blaming your equipment you've already lost.

02-19-2009, 11:42 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jak442 Quote
That has got to be the whiniest thing I've ever read. All I could think the whole time is "why is a pro photog bitching about AF?" for real... I'm a total amateur and can still manage to focus a camera. What a douche-bag.

It doesn't matter what you do, carpenter, motocross racer, axe murderer... if you're blaming your equipment you've already lost.
I'm a general contractor. I have, someplace, a cheap piece of crap B&D circular saw that would beg to differ with you.
I can build a house, but this saw will not make a straight cut for me, or anyone else. I keep it around for those times when people say this kind of stuff to me.
The guy is still a douchebag, but sometimes the equipment does get in the way.
02-20-2009, 12:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

He's a douche-bag because he expects and autofocusing camera to actually autofocus properly?

Sure, you can shoot all-manual, but when you're using the camera as a tool to do a job you expect it to perform its functions as advertised.
02-20-2009, 12:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Very uninspiring horse photo's to say the least and am sure would be "meat & potatoes" for a 20d in capable hands

d
02-20-2009, 12:36 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'm a general contractor. I have, someplace, a cheap piece of crap B&D circular saw that would beg to differ with you.
I can build a house, but this saw will not make a straight cut for me, or anyone else. I keep it around for those times when people say this kind of stuff to me.
The guy is still a douchebag, but sometimes the equipment does get in the way.

Haha... I've been a GC for 10 years.... well a bit longer of you count all the time I tried to fight it.
I hear your point, BUT I'd be willing to bet that you've never blamed that saw for poor workmanship. And I'd also bet that, as a professional, you simply replaced it with a suitable tool and didn't whine about it. And, finaly, I'd bet that if there was a gaint dial on the side of that saw, that controlled the direction it cut, you could probably manage a decent cut....... and still not whine about it.

The time I've dedicated and the ethic I have towards my trade leave me with zero patience for people who don't just shut up and do thier job(especialy electricians) and the fundemental skill of the "professional" is being able to do your job when your job is hard.

6 beers.
02-20-2009, 12:57 AM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
He's a douche-bag because he expects and autofocusing camera to actually auto focus properly?

Sure, you can shoot all-manual, but when you're using the camera as a tool to do a job you expect it to perform its functions as advertised.

Naah... he's a douche-bag because he's a douche-bag. To me... a pro photog "relying" on AF is like a pro bull-rider relying on luck.
02-20-2009, 04:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Naah... he's a douche-bag because he's a douche-bag. To me... a pro photog "relying" on AF is like a pro bull-rider relying on luck.
Next you know they'll rely on horrible things like auto exposure.

Good luck shooting soccer games with manual focus and see what the keeper ratio is vs a well functioning AF system.

It's not some macho contest about who can do the most with the least, it's about getting a job done. Wouldn't you rather use a tool that is suited for it?
02-20-2009, 05:34 AM   #14

I wonder how they managed sports photography with manual focus lenses! I bet they got no keepers!

Put up or shut up. If you can't get a good shot than either you suck, or there is some equipment failure. Most likely option A.

Just sayin'
02-20-2009, 05:53 AM   #15
Forum Member

They had better viewfinders.