Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2009, 04:08 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
What's wrong with my camera?

I hope this is coherant enough to understand. I took some benadryl just before I noticed this, so I'm a bit woozy.

My problem is almost impossible, if not impossible to spot in the Flickr link, even in large size. If there is a way to somehow display the way it looks at 100+ percent before converting it to JPEG, please let me know, because that would work much better.

There are spots in the picture, I noticed them in a few recent photos, so I went back to check my older photos to see if they were in them too...they were.

Where some of them are on the picture of the VW.

1 - Just under the H in "Michelin" on the passenger side front tire - Red.
2 - Just under and to the left of where that first one is - Blue.
3 - In the chrome above the passener side headlight - Blue
4 - Inner wheel well, rear passenger side - Green.

Some observations about the spots.

1 - In the exact same locations over the course of consecutive photos, but varying from photo set to phot set, which is usually day to day.
2 - When viewing the RAW file with the Pentax software, at 200%, each spot will look like a little red, blue, or green plus sign, with a slightly blurred area around it.
3 - Hard to notice the spot when it's in a very bright portion of the photo.

Cleaning the lens doesn't seem to affect the spots(Lens pen, with dust brush, then rubbing with pad). I say cleaning doesn't "seem" to affect the spots, because it's always possible that using a different method might affect them.

What doesn't affect the spots.

1-changing memory card.
2-turning off, then turning on.
3-Focal length
4-Aperature
5-ISO setting
6-Asking politely for it to stop this silly behavior

Unfortunately I can't try a different lens, because I don't have a different lens.

Camera = K110
Lens = Kit lens

I do realize I can get rid of them in post fairly easily with cloning, but I don't want them in the pictures in the first place if it can be helped.

Thanks all,
Justin

02-23-2009, 04:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This sounds like hot pixels. Test it by shooting an image of something with a uniform colour across the image - eg the sky. If the pixels pop up in the same places then its your sensor and hot pixels.

I'm not sure if you can map them out on a K110D - you can on a K20D and K200D

There are quite a few threads about it as well - search for pixel mapping

You could also do a crop to show the pixels in question and post them for more detailed opinion....

Good luck......
02-23-2009, 06:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I can't see what you are talking about in your picture, but you are talking about hot pixels.
They happen, get used to it.
Get a decent RAW converter that maps them out.
Photoshop's converter removes them.
02-23-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if yopu want to show what you are talking about, perhaps crop in on one spot, such as the one on the tire (I can't see it but I will believe you it is there) and post the cropped section at 100%.

In Jpeg they probably look like a cross, with the center pixel the brightest, and the top and sides a little dimmer.

You can use pixel mapping or noise reduction to eliminate them.

I use the blemish remover tool in PSP X2 to take them out of my *istD photos. I have not seen any (yet ) on my K10D

02-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everyone

I google image searched "hot pixel", and what came up is exactly what I'm seeing in my pictures. I'll look into using a different RAW converter, or mapping them out.

Apparently it isn't anything new, and every camera has it to a certain extent.

Thank you very much, I have the day off today, and without your help I would have been worrying about this instead of enjoying a day of shooting.