Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

my camera sets on 0s or...

why I find digital photography way harder for me...
well if you are a professional photographer that might not apply to you since you probably also scan and develop your film yourself.
but for me I used to not know how my photos look like until they got back from the lab where some one worked on them and make them look as good as they can look.
with my digital when I am shooting I usually get disappointed. I can shoot a sunset and still get a very pale picture. but this is BC my camera sets to zero.
then I take it to light room and every time I found it amazing how much different its looks after.
so for me I have to spend an extra half a day after every shoot . "developing" my photos.
I would love to know what is your way...

I spent the afternoon shooting the sunset at Chelsea Piers I will post pictures in the next few days

02-26-2009, 11:31 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What you do sounds pretty much like the norm for me as well...only without the disappointment part. (I have such an ego ) Each photo session translates to hours of computer time finishing the creative process. What we see in the LCD is only a sampling of what potential has actually been captured. This is particularly true when shooting RAW. The real magic happens in the post-processing. The process is truly analogous to the flow with film:

Image Capture
  1. Compose and expose to fit the lighting and your visualization of the final image
  2. Check the preview rendering in the LCD
  3. Check the histogram in light of the desired exposure range
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 as needed keeping each exposure (just in case)

Post-Processing (...they don't call it Lightroom for nothing...)
This phase is essentially the same as what used to happen in the darkroom way back when. When done properly, it is possible to work miracles. (Though those are always worked within the limitations of the original capture...yes, it pays to shoot RAW...)
  1. Import the image into the software of choice using the default settings
  2. Adjust brightness, contrast, and color balance to suit
  3. Add/remove sharpness
  4. Apply noise reduction (if needed)
  5. Crop to suit
  6. Proof (remove imperfections) to suit

Printing
This last step is the most difficult since all of the work to this point has been done using a luminescent image (additive colors). Printing involves translation of the image formed of light with one formed from differential absorption of light (subtractive color). It is at this step that we lose much of the process control and where there is the highest potential of losing the magic quality that makes a particular photo a winner. The options?
  • Print them yourself and run through gallons of ink/dye and reams of photo print paper
  • Work with the printmeister at the local camera store
  • Work with an expensive custom print maker
Do these all sound expensive? Well, it is! I guess that explains why many of us (most?) don't make a lot of prints! I received a digital picture frame for Christmas and now I can display my work without the hard copy

Steve
02-27-2009, 06:29 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the world of digital photography, where everyone is now a photofinisher, whether you want to be or not.
02-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the great answer !!!