Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2009, 12:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Are "Juried Photographic Exhibitions" a good thing?

A coupla photo club members mentioned this year's "36th National Juried Photographic Exposition in Yakima, Washington, host is the Larson Gallery (Larson Gallery)

So i submitted 3 photos on a CD, the jurist, a professor from a state unniversity rejected 2, but accepted the 3rd for the show. 434 total images were received, I'm not sure how many were accepted. (i noticed that the current show at the gallery contains about 100 images, but don't know if thats their capacity) But now the routine is to send in a framed image for display in the Gallery for a month, starting on April 3rd. On the opening day, they are going to announce the top prizes and have invited all the photographers. Except for awarded prizes, the Gallery asks for 35% of prices for any sold pictures.

So my question, are these type of shows a good thing to participate in, or a waste of time? I figured at the very least it would be a drive in a part of the state i haven't spent much time in? At the best it might be an opportunity to see some really good work and meet other photographers.

Any opinions? Thanks

Last edited by philbaum; 02-28-2009 at 12:23 AM.
02-28-2009, 01:57 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I haven't done anything of the sort, but if I were in your position I would be stoked. Really, it couldn't hurt.