Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2007, 03:54 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
While eating ice cream and waiting for various family members to attend to natures calling down at the last stop, I observed this freak throwing his ice cream and several rocks out over the edge and down into the canyon. He didn't necessarily want to fall himself, but he did want to see something of value go over the side and smash into the bottom!
Because the idiot threw his ice cream in the canyon you think he intended to throw your CAMERA in the canyon?? That's quite a stretch, isn't it? If he "borrowed" my camera and pitched it in, surely he'd know he'd have to run like hell to avoid being pitched in after it

Sadly, the OP doesn't mention if tourists are searched for ice cream and rocks in their pockets, so the evil-doer could still strike even on the skywalk...

04-06-2007, 04:56 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Chapter 2

A stretch? Not really. It's a 'you had to be there' situation I suppose; and maybe I should have incuded several subsequent conversations.

His behavior included some casual conversation: conversation that was relayed to me after I returned to the main visitor area.

He was looking for places to 'fall' or 'jump from', information about what happened when people and things 'went over the edge'. He was repeatedly warned by rangers about his own 'out-of-bounds' excursions past fences and barricades as well as being refused 'details' concerning falls/jumps/tosses/etc.

Several other tourists had witness him tossing stuff, all surreptitiously; when he thought nobody was looking.

If you've ever been to the south rim then you know how things work. There are several main viewing areas, served by road and a shuttle bus and by a rim trail. Tourists are in constant flux from spot to spot and from shuttle to viewing point and back. Many walk the rim trail. It an all day affair if you're really 'viewing'.

And these groups of people mill-about, make fleeting friendships, sharing ohhs and ahhs and chimping cameras. A sort of gossip chain develops when something is happening or peculiar---enter my freak and his family. Swarming all over the various viewing spots and barricades, moving from point to point and group to group always seeking a 'falling' story or an accident tidbit'. Gist for the mill as it were.

Tossing stuff, (just dropping something) on a trail or in a viewing point is strictly forbidden and most folks comply without fanfare. But not this fellow. There were several 'viewings' of his tossing antics; and more than a little concern about him pushing something or someone over the edge--there are few fences of consequence.

Aside from the bad feeling when he asked/offered the shooting assistance that I acted upon, all this extra info was collected when I returned to the main area after the tour. I had a dog to retrieve from the kennel and while I did that task two of my children were approached with 'freaky guy tales' of other tourists. I sat with a group of rangers and tourists with soft drinks and snacks later in the day and got many other 'reports' about this 'strange guy talking about falling'.

So, now after reading and doubting and then questioning and getting a clarification to my tale perhaps I have satisfied all the requirements for making it believable?

Part of going to the grand canyon is the thrill! And I believe that some folks would like a little more thrill than what is presented naturally. I think that's evidenced by the actual skywalk attraction. You can stand at the top of the canyon, walk or climb down in, fly over in either plane or helicopter and now suspend yourself out on a glass walkway. There are some who would like to see anything fly out and fall to the bottom--now wouldn't that be a thrill?
04-06-2007, 08:53 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The skywalk itself

Here it is. I wasn't able to get the attachments to work the first time.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
04-07-2007, 09:20 PM   #19

Dang. It's looks so commercial. Sad, really...