Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #1

adaptall question

I have a Tamron SP 500mm 1:8 55BB lens with a Pentax KM adaptall, it locks in place nicely on the mirror lens but I also have a Tamron SP BBAR MC 2x Converter, which is also adaptall but when I put the KM on the converter it lines up and goes on great but it doesnt lock in place, nothing looks broken......

if anyone can shed some light on this please help!

also there is a ring with a red screw on the Tamron 500mm anyone know what thats for?

I attached some pictures for visuals

Tamron 2x converter

mirror lens with KM attached, screw to the left of the green dot

adaptall km

adaptall km

03-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suggest you PM Class A with your question - he is one of the Forum authorities on Adaptall lenses

Here is a thread I recently started with a mount problem I was having - any of the commenters would be sources of information to help you

Help! Adaptall-2 P K/A lens not communicating with K10D
03-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I suggest you PM Class A with your question - he is one of the Forum authorities on Adaptall lenses

Here is a thread I recently started with a mount problem I was having - any of the commenters would be sources of information to help you

Help! Adaptall-2 P K/A lens not communicating with K10D

thanks! everything I have mounts perfect, its just the KM adaptall can still be twisted off even after its suppose to be locked in place....
03-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wilkin Quote
I have a Tamron SP 500mm 1:8 55BB lens with a Pentax KM adaptall, it locks in place nicely on the mirror lens but I also have a Tamron SP BBAR MC 2x Converter, which is also adaptall but when I put the KM on the converter it lines up and goes on great but it doesnt lock in place, nothing looks broken......

if anyone can shed some light on this please help!

also there is a ring with a red screw on the Tamron 500mm anyone know what thats for?

Something doesn't look right. Take the adapter off the 500mm. Attach the 500mm to the teleconverter. Stick mount on end of tc. Really looks like you got it backwards..but it could just be me.
Picture one looks wrong....

03-03-2009, 05:25 PM   #5

Original Poster
picture 1 is just a picture of the converter I was talking about in the thread, I attached the converter to the 500mm, then the KM adapter to the converter.

It appears to "lock" but it can still be twisted off, do I need a regular K adapter? or should it matter?
03-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
picture 1 is just a picture of the converter I was talking about in the thread, I attached the converter to the 500mm, then the KM adapter to the converter.

It appears to "lock" but it can still be twisted off, do I need a regular K adapter? or should it matter?
Does the adapter "lock" on your lens? If so, there is nothing wrong with your adapter. My experience has been that sometimes it requires a bit of a firm hand and a little mild rocking to get the adapter to seat onto the lens and have the lock tab pop out.

Steve

P.S. The K. M. is the regular K-mount adapter, though it should not make any difference. You are, after all, attaching the adapter to the lens.
03-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Opp's your right. I have 2 PKA mounts and a 2x TC and 3 Tamron lenses. They all lock. But I just noticed that once in awhile the silver lock tab on the TC stays down. When this happens it won't lock Lift it up and then attach mount.

03-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That's too much credit, really. I just wrote the article about how to fix the PK/A Adaptall adapter.

Wilkin, I'm sorry but I haven't seen your problem before. If I were you, I'd place both Adaptall lens and converter next to each other and look very hard for any differences at the mounts.

In order to attach a lens to the adapter, one has to set the aperture to wide open. Do you need to do anything equivalent for the converter? Perhaps you need to make sure that the lens is set to wide open before you connect the adapter to the converter (when the latter is already connected to the lens)?
03-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #9

Original Poster
I think it might be a longshot, but I looked at the 500mm, the 2x converter and my Tamron BBAR 140F converter and it looks like on the 2x the part that is used to lock the adapter in place doesn't stick out as much as the 500mm and the other converter....
03-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I think it might be a longshot, but I looked at the 500mm, the 2x converter and my Tamron BBAR 140F converter and it looks like on the 2x the part that is used to lock the adapter in place doesn't stick out as much as the 500mm and the other converter....
Isn't that what I said???? Mine only got stuck down once (today actually) but the mount wouldn't lock...
03-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #11

Original Poster
im really not sure whats wrong with it it just wont lock...I tried to "strong arm" it but lock still didnt engage....maybe I have a defective converter....

whats the difference with this adapter compared to a regular K adapter
03-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Isn't that what I said???? Mine only got stuck down once (today actually) but the mount wouldn't lock...
sorry Jeff, that is what you said, this just bugs me...
03-03-2009, 06:18 PM   #13

Original Poster
.....it now locks..... not sure what I did but it locks, maybe i didnt "strong arm" it enough