Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Where to get software Pentax DSLR's

Where can one get the software that usually comes with the DSLR brand new if one was to buy a "used" DSLR but with the missing software or software not included in the sale.
I visited the Pentax site but all they have are the upgrades to the software itself and you must have the original software (like silkypix or remote assitant,etc) that came with the camera to use it (computer retouching-enhancement).

03-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Where are you in CA?
I'm near Los Angeles. Maybe you can borrow mine.
You can PM me.
03-04-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Generally a digital camera without the software is a camera acquired through "creative" channels.

Having said that, you really don't need the Pentax software to use the camera. I never even broke the shrink-wrap on the bundle that came with my K10D.

Steve
03-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
Where are you in CA?
I'm near Los Angeles. Maybe you can borrow mine.
You can PM me.
Thanks Herman! I will keep this offer in mind.
I just posted this 'coz I have seen a couple of posting on Ebay or forums with this problem (selling used without the included software).
This will somehow provide some address for the problem if one is considering to buy a used DSLR without the bundled software included.

It may also be true that items like these are somehow aquired by "creative means" but I guess there are just some who might have "lost" their CD's since they might have misplaced it or the wife or hired help accidentally dumped it for trash.

03-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Thanks Herman! I will keep this offer in mind.
I just posted this 'coz I have seen a couple of posting on Ebay or forums with this problem (selling used without the included software).
This will somehow provide some address for the problem if one is considering to buy a used DSLR without the bundled software included.

It may also be true that items like these are somehow aquired by "creative means" but I guess there are just some who might have "lost" their CD's since they might have misplaced it or the wife or hired help accidentally dumped it for trash.
There was a guy asking for a copy of the CD on this forum about a year ago and he got all kinds of flames! I think someone finally dropped him an iso disk image.

Steve
03-04-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Generally a digital camera without the software is a camera acquired through "creative" channels.
Although, to be fair, some just throw it away I think.
03-04-2009, 06:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Frankly I don't think the Pentax photo processing software is worth the trouble. There are plenty of other RAW converters and photo editing programs that are free or cheap and give the same (or better) product. The Remote Assistant can be downloaded separately if you need it.

03-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I have 2 sets (one from K100D and one from K20D). You can have the older one if you really want it :-)

The only thing I really use Browser for is quickly "extracting a jpg" from RAW files for a quick chimp session in another editor, and making a list of exif data. The newer version has more fields in the list because the K20D has more settings.

Frankly, Adobe Elements v6 (some people don't like newer v7) is nicer for processing and editing, and has a spot-healing brush which is not available with Pentax SW. But, you have to find it, and pay about $75.

PM me with your name and address if interested.
03-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Where can one get the software that usually comes with the DSLR brand new if one was to buy a "used" DSLR but with the missing software or software not included in the sale.
I visited the Pentax site but all they have are the upgrades to the software itself and you must have the original software (like silkypix or remote assitant,etc) that came with the camera to use it (computer retouching-enhancement).

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/miscellaneous-articles/36984-how-install-...installed.html
03-05-2009, 09:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Wow, this is neat.
Another way to trick the system.
Good find, RollsUp.

BTW, yes I myself hardly or never use the software from Pentax anymore.
Only installed it once and didn't like it.
Now I mostly use Lightroom. So much easier.
And with the new preset from Mithrandir (you can find his thread on Post Processing & Software sticky in this forum), it's very easy to convert those RAWs to Pentax JPEG.
03-05-2009, 09:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I've never used the software....not on my K100D or for either of the K200D's. I think I have 2 brand new, in the package CD's. I held onto them so I can include them when I sell the bodies.
03-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
See, that'swhy it's good to ask questions like these 'coz you get so much info on how to get around a problem or you just find good samaritans who are willing to help fellow members!
I know more will contribute so at least we'll get some database for members who would encounter such a situation.
03-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I got my K20D almost a year ago. I installed both CDs on my main editing box. And I never use the Pentax warez. Duh. I find that my old PaintShopPro9 reads the RAW files just fine, so I needn't alter my editing workflow. I tell myself that I'll set up a computer-controlled studio environment Real Soon Now, and then I'll use Remote Assistant. But that ain't happened yet.
03-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #14

I am sooo annoyed about the fact that I'm supposed to go hunting for a CD that MAY be still in the box to install the latest version of Remote Assistant it's unreal.
I don't know quite what it is that bothers me about it, either; it's plain stupid.

Please justify in some way demanding a CD (I know my next machine from work will not have an optical drive!) ????

That was going to be rant over...

then:
a) the fix here still demands a CD, and I don't want to burn one just for this
b) the statement here "I have to run as an Admin anyway" - HELLLOO!!! We are in 2009, Vista has been here for two years. Why does anything still need to be run as admin????????? Should I install the Windows 7 Beta I have beside me? That will be live end of this year, want to bet it will take forever before that will work, too? I am not allowed by policy to turn off UAC - and I think it's terrible that it should be encouraged! - so that's pretty much it for me.

My opinion of Pentax just went down. The buggy RAW viewer in Vista - crashes my Explorer after 10 pics or so - and then this. This is, simply, unacceptable. I wanted to play with this, I was intending to use it for some testing for BULB and other ideas.

Stupid, stupid. Why do so many companies act like it's difficult to write good software?

<sigh>.

What a great first post....

Bret
03-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #15
eclipsed450

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There was a guy asking for a copy of the CD on this forum about a year ago and he got all kinds of flames! I think someone finally dropped him an iso disk image.

Steve
this was me that provided the iso. I removed the link because my server was getting random link requests. PM me if you are interested.