Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
Forum Member

Appropriate price for ist D...

I'm still not sure if it is appropriate thread to discuss abt the price.

Since the reply about the price is prohibited in market place, I hope I can get some clue here.

I just put my ist D + D-BG1 grip set with 2gb CF card and box (no kit lens)

And maybe because it's economic crisis or something else, I am not getting any response back. The price that I set up was $275 including shipping.

Do you guys have any opinion about the appropriate price for such items?

Maybe it's just me expecting too much for 10 yrs old camera.

Anyway, I will gladly listen to any suggestion from users.

Thanks
DK

03-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure what the most appropriate price point is, but 2 K10Ds have been recently advertised for $300 and $325 respectively. $275 for your camera, even with accessories, seems too high. What was reasonable just a month or two ago isn't so reasonable anymore. I suppose we all have much less money to spend these days
03-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just bought a *ist DL new from Ritz with kit lens for 263.00, the equivalent Samsung is 228 online.
03-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #4

$300 for a K10D???

I paid that much for an *ist D three months ago. Man, if only I waited...

Anyhoo mine came with batteries (2 non-rechargeable and 2 rechargeable CR-V3s), battery grip, smc DA 18-55 mk 1, 4 GB microdrive, and original boxes and manuals etc for everything. Not a bad purchase at all.

03-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There was an *istD with katzeye reciently for $200 in the market place.

I think that about sums it up since the katz eye is $100 itself $100 is about what it is worth.

question is what is the "mileage"

I was meaning to ask, because I am looking for a second. to convert to a perminant M42 body
03-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smashed Pie Quote
I'm still not sure if it is appropriate thread to discuss abt the price.

Since the reply about the price is prohibited in market place, I hope I can get some clue here.

I just put my ist D + D-BG1 grip set with 2gb CF card and box (no kit lens)

And maybe because it's economic crisis or something else, I am not getting any response back. The price that I set up was $275 including shipping.

Do you guys have any opinion about the appropriate price for such items?

Maybe it's just me expecting too much for 10 yrs old camera.

Anyway, I will gladly listen to any suggestion from users.

Thanks
DK
One problem is KEH is selling used D's for about $200. The grip, used is probably $50. so you really aren't offering a "deal" but a pretty general "going rate".
Pentax km/2000 w/ lens is $400. Take the lens off and it's like $300 ($350) New camera, new warranty.
now there are things on the D that are more desirable ( old TTL, flash sync, great high iso files) then the Km but the perception of value used vs new still holds for a lot of people...
Keep it, give it to a friend/family or even sell it to friend/family for $150.
I have a D and it is sad what it's "worth"....

Pentax Digital
IST D 6.1 M/P BODY ONLY (CF CARD ) DIGITAL SLR INTERCHANGEABLE LENS CAMERA
Product Specs
DP029990802070

Grade LN- $205.00
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=512569
03-05-2009, 04:14 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah.. I just checked and it has around 7500 shutter counts.
Assuming KEH has self-generous evaluation and their set doesn't include grips and CF card, $250 including S&H looks ok?

I don't know about the guy who sold D and katzeye for $200. That might be too great for buyers. I already tried to put the set on ebay and it was sold for around $240 and buyer cancelled for some reason.

(sigh). damn Mr.Former President.

03-05-2009, 05:58 AM   #8

Why not get it converted to Infra Red? The 6mp resolution will give you an 'etherial' effect when converted to B&W.

It saves throwing it away for a couple of hunded bucks.

That's what I have done with mine. Or keep it for a treavel camera. Still a very small and light body.
03-05-2009, 06:18 AM   #9

Well, I have my original istD and I don't use it much, but I just can't seem to part with it. What strikes me particularly interesting about this camera is the fact that so many of the better images in PPG have been taken with this camera. Mind you, the lenses have been superb for the most part, but the old camera appears to be a gem in terms of quality and results. Don
03-05-2009, 06:25 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently bought one off the marketplace for 220 range including ship, in like new condition, body only. Factoring out the shipping, it was a 200 dollar purchase.

I'd say a really nice body should be in the 190s-210 range, a well used but okay body should be considered if its in the 160-180 range.

As most folks know, while KEH is wonderful for buying good gear, they run about 20-30 percent over what your going to pay on in the marketplace, especially now with the crappy economy. Setting prices on what folks pay on e-bay is useless thanks to "overboard" bidders.

So ... yeah, a really clean low click body is about 200 dollars, a more heavily used one is going to be ...around 175ish.

germar
03-05-2009, 06:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I was in your same boat a few weeks ago. I had my old trusty -not much milage- istD stored away since I got my K20D. I was planning to sell it with BG1 grip included but only to discover the awful truth about the real price I could get.

So I decided not to sell it at all. Now my wife is using it frequently and I think its a lot better for her than getting a new Km(2000) and better for me, since she's not planning on using my K20D.

So, unless you are in a desperate need for a bit of cash, the best thing you can do is to keep it and use it as second body or even, let someone else in your family learn the craft with it.
03-05-2009, 08:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Setting prices on what folks pay on e-bay is useless thanks to "overboard" bidders.

From personal experience, it's never my stuff that gets overboard bidders... more like underboard.....
03-05-2009, 08:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smashed Pie Quote
Assuming KEH has self-generous evaluation and their set doesn't include grips and CF card, $250 including S&H looks ok?
I can't help you with price, and everyone here seems to be giving good advice, but I wanted to comment on the above quote... I'm not sure what you mean by "self-generous", but to me it sounds like you might be implying that KEH would evaluate items nicer than they are. This is far from the truth - KEH rates every item much lower than most people would. Bargain (BGN) items from KEH would often be described as Excellent by most folks. Buying EX items from KEH is like buying brand new items - amazing quality from them.